Simpsons Gary Young Limited Edition M7

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drmoss_ca wrote:
After all these years, someone on Shave My Face has finally made me jealous <<insert HEAVY SIGH here>>, Well at least I can console myself by carping about the backward speed dial on the M-7! Great get, Chris, I hope you will run miles of film through it.

Buzz
mineisanotherone

Post by mineisanotherone »

Gary Young wrote:Guys

So all in all, was this project a good idea?

Gary
Absolutely fantastic collaboration. More LE please.

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
mineisanotherone

Post by mineisanotherone »

drP wrote:Image

Imagel

A very nice specimen in two band super , ivory fleck handle...who needs another brush... :wink:
Hello Peter

That is one very hansome brush "flecked Ivory" how does this compare with your GYLE 's M7, given this is two band.

Does it give greater backbone, and is it as dense as the Gyle M7, I have so far resisted from using mine maybe next year or maybe not.

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

drP wrote:A very nice specimen in two band super , ivory fleck handle...who needs another brush... :wink:
That is a beauty! Congratulations. The knot specs are the same as the GYLE, no?
How would you compare the 2-band to the 3-band?
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

The dimensions of this brush are about the same as those of the GYLE, but the GYLE is filled more densely; the bristles of the two band have more resiliency than those of the three band but this is conform expectation.
Peter
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Peter, is this a stock item that Mark offers, or did you special order it?
_______
John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

John,

Currently these are only available via direct contact with Mark.
Peter
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

drP wrote:Image

Imagel

A very nice specimen in two band super , ivory fleck handle...who needs another brush... :wink:
Mmmmmm!

For some reason I am still drawn more towards the tortoise shell versions!

;) :)

Gary
Gary
brucered

Post by brucered »

how can i get a price/availability on the M7 Ivory in BEST?

contact Gary on here, Dr P, simpson site?

any help is appreciated...i got some Xmas Shave Bucks to use and might be interested in another Simpson
Elephants never forget!
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brucered wrote:how can i get a price/availability on the M7 Ivory in BEST?

contact Gary on here, Dr P, simpson site?

any help is appreciated...i got some Xmas Shave Bucks to use and might be interested in another Simpson
Email Mark Watterman at Simpsons.

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/contact-us.html
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
franz

Post by franz »

I think his name's Watterson, FYI.

Gary, I like the tortoiseshell ones a bit better too.
brucered

Post by brucered »

Thanks Johnny and Franz...

i like the tortouise look, but like the simplicity of the M7 without the sig.

both very nice and nothing again either.

email has been sent!
Elephants never forget!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, There really is no end to it, is there?....like classic Freudian analysis...it's over when you run out of money....sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

bernards66 wrote:Peter, There really is no end to it, is there?....like classic Freudian analysis...it's over when you run out of money....sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
Of course there won't be an end...you know that very well..but the speed of collecting has almost turned down to zero...almost... :)
Peter
Pgg365247

#44 GYLE in dark arrived today...

Post by Pgg365247 »

I just finished up my first shave with my new GYLE. My first impression (drum roll please)... This brush is VERY NICE!!! Admitedly I did not put the brush through any "test" by using a soap/cream that is challenging to lather. I used some AOS Ocean Kelp SC which I have found to be a very easy to lather top notch cream. One quick swipe of the cream and I had more than enough for a three pass shave. I own Thater, M&F, Rooney, various styles/hair grades of Simpson etc. and this brush really stands out in that crowd. I have a Somerset CH2 in 3 band super on the way so I am curious how the two will compare after reading some of the comments on the hair similarities. I realize I am only one shave in but I don't imagine this brush leaving my den anytime soon. It may have been pricey but so far I am happy to report, no regrets.

Bravo to Mark & Gary for this great collaboration. I for one hope to see more Simpson LE collaborations in the future.
- Brent

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

OK...I'm motivated...I'm going to go shave with mine right now (light tortoise model)...been a while since a night shave..... 8)
Rob
Gary Young

Re: #44 GYLE in dark arrived today...

Post by Gary Young »

Pgg365247 wrote:I just finished up my first shave with my new GYLE. My first impression (drum roll please)... This brush is VERY NICE!!! Admitedly I did not put the brush through any "test" by using a soap/cream that is challenging to lather. I used some AOS Ocean Kelp SC which I have found to be a very easy to lather top notch cream. One quick swipe of the cream and I had more than enough for a three pass shave. I own Thater, M&F, Rooney, various styles/hair grades of Simpson etc. and this brush really stands out in that crowd. I have a Somerset CH2 in 3 band super on the way so I am curious how the two will compare after reading some of the comments on the hair similarities. I realize I am only one shave in but I don't imagine this brush leaving my den anytime soon. It may have been pricey but so far I am happy to report, no regrets.

Bravo to Mark & Gary for this great collaboration. I for one hope to see more Simpson LE collaborations in the future.
Not likely I'm afraid.

Gary
Gary
Pgg365247

Re: #44 GYLE in dark arrived today...

Post by Pgg365247 »

I am real sorry to hear that Gary. Well, I guess it is nice to at least have this little piece of shaving brush history. I did read a little bit of some of the "controversy" involved in getting this brush from the idea phase out to the consumer and it is a shame that folks get all worked up over stuff instead of just appreciating the collaboration. You and Mark made and outstanding brush in my opinion. I hope this note finds you well Gary.

Cheers
Gary Young wrote:
Pgg365247 wrote:I just finished up my first shave with my new GYLE. My first impression (drum roll please)... This brush is VERY NICE!!! Admitedly I did not put the brush through any "test" by using a soap/cream that is challenging to lather. I used some AOS Ocean Kelp SC which I have found to be a very easy to lather top notch cream. One quick swipe of the cream and I had more than enough for a three pass shave. I own Thater, M&F, Rooney, various styles/hair grades of Simpson etc. and this brush really stands out in that crowd. I have a Somerset CH2 in 3 band super on the way so I am curious how the two will compare after reading some of the comments on the hair similarities. I realize I am only one shave in but I don't imagine this brush leaving my den anytime soon. It may have been pricey but so far I am happy to report, no regrets.

Not likely I'm afraid.

Gary
- Brent

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
paddy

Post by paddy »

well i'm more than happy to collaborate.

mark, drop me a pm and i'll give you my limited edition brush specifications. following that you can send me the various prototypes in all the different hair types, including manchurian, to road test. then we can work together towards a market release of it just in time for christmas 2012.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

paddy wrote:well i'm more than happy to collaborate.

mark, drop me a pm and i'll give you my limited edition brush specifications. following that you can send me the various prototypes in all the different hair types, including manchurian, to road test. then we can work together towards a market release of it just in time for christmas 2012.
Fill your boots...
Gary