Simpsons Gary Young Limited Edition M7

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
franz

Post by franz »

badgergramps wrote:I enjoyed reading all of Peter's comments. The brush would, indeed, look grand in faux ivory. I rushed mine out of the shipping wrap this morning and must say I thoroughly enjoy the brush from the bristles to the ergonomic handle. It IS different and that is what makes the LE's so special. I prefer creams during the summer and this brush, even new, performed great. Can't wait to break it in a bit more. I have my Astor for winter when I prefer to exfoliate more with a two band and hard soaps.
(Along with 15 more Simpsons, a dozen Rooney Finest and 40 other great specimens I've had SBAD for a looooong time!)

Stickers? Yes that's a personal preference and one should have come in the box. Original decals, not just stickers, should be made available.

Gary, I'm sure you are listening, I think Peter is helping you design the next LE.

Oh yes, try the ROVER!

Best Regards,
Ed
Ed, that's a heckuva first post. Welcome.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

brothers wrote:I'm another one who wasn't able to take advantage of this particular opportunity, but it was obviously a great concept and project. The men and the company behind the project made it a success. Well done!

I'd be eager to participate, if the day should come, in a limited edition with a loft of at least 60mm because I like what some guys call floppy. That's just my preference, and at this stage I wouldn't be a buyer anything less than that.
gary, i agree. the simpsons i've had all seemed to be more dense and more scrubby backboned then what i prefer. i would like to see simpson branch out from this "dense, scrubby,stiffer backbone philospy and have more of a variety in their mission statement. afterall, a 46-50 loft just doesn't hold a lot of lather
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hello Ed (badgergramps) welcome aboard. It's apparent you have been at this for awhile, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Rooney Finests.
Regards,
Squire
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

badgergramps wrote:
Gary, I'm sure you are listening, I think Peter is helping you design the next LE.

Oh yes, try the ROVER!

Best Regards,
Ed
Welcome to SMF Ed! By the way, in case not aware, currently Simpson is offering a Rover LE in Best through West Coast Shaving. No affiliation here, just passing on the info in case haven't seen:
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpson ... _1196.html

I too am happy with my GYLE (got a light one), used it exclusively since had it, a great all around brush! I vote yes for more LE's!
Rob
badgergramps

Post by badgergramps »

I picked up the Simpson Rover from WCS earlier this month. It's a great package. A uniquely turned handle with good weight and my knot in Best rivals some of my Supers.

I got the darker GYLE and it is REALLY dark. The lighter one will probably show better as it's a more traditional tortise. Again I went for the unique and stared at it under the bright bathroom lights as I shaved with it again this morning. I didn't need a shave at all. I just wanted to use the brush again!

Ed
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

gil3591 wrote:
brothers wrote:I'm another one who wasn't able to take advantage of this particular opportunity, but it was obviously a great concept and project. The men and the company behind the project made it a success. Well done!

I'd be eager to participate, if the day should come, in a limited edition with a loft of at least 60mm because I like what some guys call floppy. That's just my preference, and at this stage I wouldn't be a buyer anything less than that.
gary, i agree. the simpsons i've had all seemed to be more dense and more scrubby backboned then what i prefer. i would like to see simpson branch out from this "dense, scrubby,stiffer backbone philospy and have more of a variety in their mission statement. afterall, a 46-50 loft just doesn't hold a lot of lather
That's what Vulfix is for :D
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

gil3591 wrote:

This collaboration between myself and Mark (the old and the new so to speak!) was always about the reapperance of old Simpson designs long since stopped from production. I am sure that I can think of one of our old originals that would 'fit the bill' for all you guys looking for a 'softer' more fluid knot.
I am pleased with the positive remarks regarding the M7. It was chosen as the first brush because of all the feedback offered by forum guys earlier in the year. I have also taken on board any negatives - just as important as the positives!
I do have some ideas already if a second design is to make an appearance. This is something that me and Mark will need to talk about when we are both finished with summer holidays, etc.

I would just like to say a massive thanks to all the guys that have backed this project. Simpson has only managed to survive because of the incredible efforts of Mark and his great team on the Isle of Man AND because of the love of the brushes that you guys show.

To have my own Simpson design with my signature on is an extremely proud thing for me.

Gary
Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary you know the rules, if you mention it you have to describe it. So tell us more about this 'softer, more fluid knot' brush residing in your archives.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Squire wrote:Gary you know the rules, if you mention it you have to describe it. So tell us more about this 'softer, more fluid knot' brush residing in your archives.

yes, talk about it
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

gil3591 wrote:
Squire wrote:Gary you know the rules, if you mention it you have to describe it. So tell us more about this 'softer, more fluid knot' brush residing in your archives.

yes, talk about it
Guys

As I am sure some of you know already, Simpson did not always make 'scrubby, dense' knots. There are designs and brushes that were made in the past that tended to cater across the broad spectrum of tastes and wants - which is why there has always been a large 'catalogue' of brushes available.
I am away on holiday until the middle of September now - my body (and mind!) really needs the rest and I intend using the next 2 weeks for that purpose!! I know you all that my health has not been at its best so I am sure you can all hang fire until I get back.

Gary
Gary
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Gary Young wrote: Guys

As I am sure some of you know already, Simpson did not always make 'scrubby, dense' knots. There are designs and brushes that were made in the past that tended to cater across the broad spectrum of tastes and wants - which is why there has always been a large 'catalogue' of brushes available.
I am away on holiday until the middle of September now - my body (and mind!) really needs the rest and I intend using the next 2 weeks for that purpose!! I know you all that my health has not been at its best so I am sure you can all hang fire until I get back.

Gary
Gary,

Of course - your health and well-being is of utmost importance. Take it easy, get the rest you need. Enjoy your time off, and we'll be here when you're ready to post again. :wink:
Jason

Post by gil3591 »

yes gary, by all means take care of yourself. and now i'm getting excited about simpson again. i may actually have an LE in my future! :P
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh by all means Gary please excuse our intrusiveness, we're like a bunch of children anticipating Christmas.
Regards,
Squire
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Imagel

A very nice specimen in two band super , ivory fleck handle...who needs another brush... :wink:
Peter
druphus

Post by druphus »

Very nice Peter! What are the knot dimensions?
Regards,
Andy
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

25 mm knot diameter, 51mm loft height
Peter
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

I feel obliged to say, after my not-so-positive comments earlier in this thread, that this has become a favorite brush. The handle is more ergonomic than any other style in my collection, and the badger has broken in to an excellent latherer, with very pleasing face feel.

Regards,
Stan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My idea of a limited edition M7 looks like this, and will be arriving from Solms anyday:

The Leica à la carte programme is a very dangerous thing.

Chris
Two MP's, an M9, an M5, an M7 (about to become two M7's)
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SRD

Post by SRD »

That's a beauty Chris. Congrats.
Dave
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

Great looking brush Peter. And I actually received my GYLE in dark earlier this week! All I can say is wow, what a brush. I've anticipated it ever since Gary surfaced just under a year ago and remember thinking how great it would be for him to design a brush based on what he knows and loves. Then less than a week later he begins to get ideas about doing just that! I was exctatic.

Then that didn't go very far, and I was sad.

Then Mark and Gary got together and started posting details about their collaboration, and I was quite excited again. And then the waiting began - which was excruciating.

Once the brush became available I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Why I don't know. But then after I continued to read about those of you that had received yours I had to have one.

So I ordered it up and just under 2 weeks later it was in my hands. Stunning. Great hair, perfect density and loft - I loved it. Used it the first time Wednesday after a few test lathers and it absolutely lived up to my expectations. And while my Duke 3 is still my favorite brush in my arsenal, I could see this one knocking it off its perch in short order.

And now the obligatory pic - we'll get post bloom after a few weeks...

Dripp in Cincinnati