Any advice on new brush purchase?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
desmoface

Any advice on new brush purchase?

Post by desmoface »

Hey gang - Just sold my Rooney Heritage Stubby 2, as it was, are you ready for this? Too dense. I just couldn't get it to perform as well as my SR 3824..so it's outta here.

So I'm thinking I need another brush, just for back up, of course, LOL. I've had a Kent BK4, and while it's highly regarded on the forum, it was too floppy for me...

I use soaps/sticks exclusively and face lather. I was thinking about a polo 8, but I seem to remember reading about the simpsons having a bit of a shedding problem, although I'm sure someone will tell me if this has been rectified. But, I'm also thinking that if my recently sold Rooney was too dense, so will the polo 8. Maybe I should get a Shavemac as, arguably, thats who makes my SR which works so well for me.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to which direction I should be looking? Thanks in advance.

Steve
SRD

Post by SRD »

Duke 3 in Best. I use and love the SR 3824. The Duke 3 is the perfect complement to it for a change of pace.
Dave
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hiya SRD, thanks for the reply. Do you think the Duke 3 would be as densely packed as my old Rooney? It sure looks a lot like me ole stubby 2. The Rooney was a lather hog..way too dense. Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
drumana

Post by drumana »

Steve,

FWIW, I've owned well over a dozen Simpson brushes since Vulfix took over and none of them have been shedders.

Regarding the Duke 3. Mine, at least, is fairly dense. Not as dense as my CH1's, but pretty dense. It's not a problem for me - I like it, but if you are looking for a particularly non-dense brush, the D3 might not be a great option.

With the Simpson offerings, the Emperor or the 50's range or the Commodore range my be more to your tastes. Or maybe just another Saville Row?
-Andrew-
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Drumana, I'm thinking about another sr...Or maybe a Shavemac as they are arguably the same.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I concur with Dave; the Simpson Duke #3 would likely be a good choice. I'm sure there are others but this was the one that occurred to me immediately upon reading your opening post.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If you want to stay with Savile Row, the SR3120 will be firmer than the 3824, while retaining the soft tips and excellent flowthrough. It's great at face lathering soaps -- and everything else for that matter. Size might be an issue for you, though; it is small, but performs above its pay grade. At one time I had both the 3824 and D3 and ended up preferring the former. No vive la différence for me.
Ron
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

There's a nice looking Duke 3 listed for sale in one of the other forums, if that brush is of interest to you.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

you need to consider a thater
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
franz

Post by franz »

If you want good backbone without an overly dense knot, I'd consider a two-band. Just FYI, Simpson Best knots are density monsters. Gil mentioned the Thäters; their current batch of silvertip is very soft at the tips and the knots are packed moderately, so they have great flowthrough without being floppy.

If you liked everything else about your Heritage brush, the best replacement might be another Heritage (in two-band)!
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

franz wrote:If you want good backbone without an overly dense knot, I'd consider a two-band. Just FYI, Simpson Best knots are density monsters. Gil mentioned the Thäters; their current batch of silvertip is very soft at the tips and the knots are packed moderately, so they have great flowthrough without being floppy.

If you liked everything else about your Heritage brush, the best replacement might be another Heritage (in two-band)!
I really wouldn't call a Simpson D3 in best a density monster...........
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and advice. I'll have to look closer at that d3.

Steve
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I would have thought a tulip or similar would have been proffered up as a good thought provoker? just goes to show how little i know :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

57 or 58 in Best? ...

or ...

M&F

or ...

Shavemac ...

or ...

Saville Row ...

All good alternatives ...

OR ...

A Vulfix #41 :wink:
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Would there be a big difference in the actual bristles between the duke 3 and polo 8. Is it just a matter of different handles between the 2? Thanks again.

Steve
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Steve, go for a Saville Row xx22. Big enough that you won't think of it as step-down form the larger mid-size brushes you seem to prefer and with a bit more backdone than the #824. Otherwise, you already know the characteristics of the knot and the quality of the build. Plus, it's a great value. That said, a Thater does sound interesting.. One is on my "What the hell am I thinking?" list.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

LOL, thanks Chris.

Steve
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

MaxP wrote:There's a nice looking Duke 3 listed for sale in one of the other forums, if that brush is of interest to you.
There's also a Semogue 2010LE. (whenever that forum is back up) One of the best small brushes I've ever owned. And at a good price.

Cheers,

Ken
iKon OSS, Med Preps, MdC AOS ASB..... Perfection!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

THATER!!!!!!!!!!!! now stop this silliness and order one
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

I've always wanted to try a Simpson, but I'm just concerened that it will be similar to my old Rooney (too dense). Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve