Applying lampblack to Somerset Simpson brushes...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Paul12644

Applying lampblack to Somerset Simpson brushes...

Post by Paul12644 »

Does anyone know the process of fixing up some old brushes by reapplying lampblack? I've found a source for it but lack the technical know-how on how to apply it. It sure would dress up some of my older brushes.

http://www.cheap-chemicals.com/filter.a ... gwodYXRSnQ
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I always thought that the exfoliated decals and worn lampblack were essential to the charm of a good ol' Simpson brush. By the same token, the classiest garments are both well made and well worn.

Buzz
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Well said, Buzz, and very much appreciated.

My quest is really serving two purposes. The first allows me to tinker with one of my favorite pastimes, shaving accessories, in this case brushes, and would allow me to learn an older technique to the finishing of brushes and would occupy me toward that end.

The second would allow me to restore a Manchurian Chubby 2 whose "Chubby 2" has become indistinguishable on the side of the brush. I guess I also cosmetically like the contrast of the lampblack against the handle. So that's what's behind my question.

Paul
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I would be interested in this information too. I have a Tulip 4 that has lost nearly all its lettering, and I would think about restoring it somewhat if I knew how. Perhaps Gary has some ideas?
_______
John
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

I agree with Buzz. Some are well worn, some new old stock, but the lamp black is what got me hooked as a teenager on 44th & Madison at Brooks Brothers.

Max
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

I can see now that this is a lot more complicated than I first thought. With the lamp black labelling, there is no etched surface to put the paste into, rather it is hammered onto a flat surface using a metal stamp as the pattern.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment ... 1273784673
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

I have another idea. I hope this doesn't appear to many of you as if I'm having a conversation with myself, but I am really looking for other thoughts. What if I had a stamp made using the Simpson fonts and prepared some ink as follows:

LAMP BLACK INK
Mix 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon gum arabic, and 1/2 cup honey in a small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon lamp black to make a thick paste. Store in a jar. To use, mix a small amount of the paste with a little water to make a fluid. Carefully pour onto stamp pad. Keep the box tightly covered when not in use.

Okay, I'm carrying this too far. I'll stop now.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

FYI this is a less expensive source of small amounts of lampblack.

http://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.a ... ID=480-50S
Rick
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Paul12644 wrote:I can see now that this is a lot more complicated than I first thought. With the lamp black labeling, there is no etched surface to put the paste into, rather it is hammered onto a flat surface using a metal stamp as the pattern.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment ... 1273784673
I am trained as a hand bookbinder and I am adept at making multiple strikes with metal tools to engrave designs and lettering in gold on leather. Trust me when I tell you that what you propose is not very easy, especially considering that you will be working on a round surface. Also, with lettering that small it is really impossible to get a copy of the Simpson font. If you really want to try this, be advised that an only average gold tooler will practice for about five years before she or he is let loose on an actual book.

Buzz
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Buzz, I defer to your greater knowledge of the complicated nature of this undertaking. It appears that only Simpson could provide this service and I'm sure they have no interest in doing it.

It's unfortunate really for those of us who like to maintain our brushes in pristine condition, at least as much as is possible.
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Paul12644 wrote:Buzz, I defer to your greater knowledge of the complicated nature of this undertaking. It appears that only Simpson could provide this service and I'm sure they have no interest in doing it.

It's unfortunate really for those of us who like to maintain our brushes in pristine condition, at least as much as is possible.
Sadly, that sort of preservation requires entombment in a cool dark place. I understand the urge to keep one's brushes pristine, but I am an advocate of using my tools well and letting them show their age and loving employment. To my mind, there's nothing classier than a well worn trench coat and an old fedora that has taken on one's character.

Buzz
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Guys

No chemicals/paint/etc was used for lamp blacking our brushes.

It would be difficult to exactly copy our original lettering style and the process. It wasn't a very easy process - took me ages before my grandfather allowed me to stamp up the brushes.

The original way to lamp black a Simpson brush is to use a paraffin lamp, stamp and hammer. The stamps were held over the soot formed at the end of the paraffin lamp flame. The stamp was then gently hammered into the handle surface. The skill was in using uniform pressure for each stamp so the finished 'text' looked as much the 'same' as possible.

If you are truly interested in restoring an old Simpson let me know. I would offer to 're-lampblack' the brush for you but I would think the cost of sending over here to the UK would be a deciding factor.

Gary
Gary
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

M6Classic wrote:..... the exfoliated decals and worn lampblack were essential to the charm of a good ol' Simpson.....
Precisely.
Mike
TheMonk

Re:

Post by TheMonk »

Gary Young wrote:Guys
If you are truly interested in restoring an old Simpson let me know. I would offer to 're-lampblack' the brush for you but I would think the cost of sending over here to the UK would be a deciding factor.

Gary
Sorry for digging up such and old thread, but I'd be quite interested if Gary could "re-lampback" a brush for me. Do you feel this would still be possible?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Re: Applying lampblack to Somerset Simpson brushes...

Post by brothers »

Have you tried sending him a PM?
Also, being a Simpson brush, maybe an inquiry to Mark (the current person in charge at Simpsons) via PM may be more productive. Just a thought.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:Have you tried sending him a PM?
Also, being a Simpson brush, maybe an inquiry to Mark (the current person in charge at Simpsons) via PM may be more productive. Just a thought.
I have sent Gary a PM on a different subject, a couple of months ago, but it doesn't look like he's been online recently. I'll talk to Mark, but I'm pretty sure they currently don't have the tools to do this.
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems we seldom see posts here on SMF from either of those two gentlemen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:It seems we seldom see posts here on SMF from either of those two gentlemen.
It certainly does seem that way, which is a shame IMO. Perhaps Gary will see these posts and get back to us sometime soon. 8)
David

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

There must be some more permanent,modern way to replicate the lampblack appearance.Something the average collector could do without much trouble,afterall,these pretty much are nothing more than "black letters",must be a way out there !
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

When I sent my vintage Rooney Polo brush to Lee Sabini to have the printing reapplied, he used a method called Tempo Printing, which I believe is a kind of offset machine printing, and the results were beautiful. I would imagine this method could be used for lettering on Simpson brushes. A Google search of Tempo Printing shows several places offering services, including ones in Michigan, New Mexico, and California.
_______
John