Thater 2 Band

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Your analogy has me scratching my head, Steve. Which do you mean is more elegant, Cadillac or Mercedes?

Dave
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

I was actually thinking that Mercedes was a bit more elegant...Good question, though, I guess it could go either way, with the the vehicles and the brushes.

Steve
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Mercedes is more elegant in my mind as well. In any case, I'm sure I'll get a Thater sometime, somewhere, somehow.

Dave
numcks

Post by numcks »

Just got this one a couple of days ago - 4125/0 at 22/46. Only used it once so far, but it seems near perfect to me for face lathering. Very good balance. Lots of backbone, but not annoyingly stiff; soft tips with just enough face-feel, neither overly scritchy like Rooney Finest and Shavemac D01 2-band can be, but also not so soft as to feel like a mushy gel, like Rooney Heritage does to me; dense, but not so much so to be a lather hog with too little flow-through. Thater tuned every thing just about right IMO for this one.

Cheers,
Mike
franz

Post by franz »

I agree, Mike. The scritch level to me is very similar to Heritage 2-band (near zero), but it does not feel gel-like. There is a little more tactile feedback from the bristle. The density's very well tuned so as to have a good combination of backbone and flow. A fantastic brush and if SRD had fan knots in a black or plexi handle, I'd pick up another.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

franz wrote:I agree, Mike. The scritch level to me is very similar to Heritage 2-band (near zero), but it does not feel gel-like. There is a little more tactile feedback from the bristle. The density's very well tuned so as to have a good combination of backbone and flow. A fantastic brush and if SRD had fan knots in a black or plexi handle, I'd pick up another.
as of wed. all they had in fan knots was black handles
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

numcks wrote: Thater tuned every thing just about right IMO for this one.

This is NOT a good report for my pocketbook!
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I have the 22mm 2 Band Fan. I really wish they had the 24mm in stock, as I think i would have been a bit happier. The 22mm is a great brush, but just a tad small for my tastes
franz

Post by franz »

gil3591 wrote:
franz wrote:I agree, Mike. The scritch level to me is very similar to Heritage 2-band (near zero), but it does not feel gel-like. There is a little more tactile feedback from the bristle. The density's very well tuned so as to have a good combination of backbone and flow. A fantastic brush and if SRD had fan knots in a black or plexi handle, I'd pick up another.
Are you sure, mate? All I see on the website is fans = white, bulbs = black. That is for the octo handles though; I think it is vice-versa for the other style of handle. I just like the octo style more.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

franz wrote:
gil3591 wrote:
Are you sure, mate? All I see on the website is fans = white, bulbs = black. That is for the octo handles though; I think it is vice-versa for the other style of handle. I just like the octo style more.
black in the non-octo handles, sorry
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
river1

Post by river1 »

That said, there are a lot of brushes that aren't prickly--Thäters and the Rooney XL series come to mind.[/quote]

Interesting as I just received my first Thater (can't find the umlaut) and have been using it in rotation. Still have not decided but it seems to have more backbone than the Plisson and has very soft tips. The Thater and MF Blonds to satisfy my SBAD :roll:
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Two 28 mm knots which are built very well imo although less dense that i'd hoped for...the handles in contrary were/are flawed with several black spots which were hard to remove entirely...

Peter
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Peter,

I came to the same conclusion when I first examined my new Thater, 23mm. It didn't appear to be all that dense, at least not as dense as I was expecting. I can say, though, it did live up to all the hype once I used it, I was very happy with the performance. I'm curious to hear your opinion after you get a chance to use them.

They look fantastic, by the way.

Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

Peter, those are a handsome pair of brushes. I'm wondering whether those of us who like to shave with big brushes have anything from Thater that might be appealing. I'm thinking in terms of lofts larger than 60mm or more, and maybe even a 3 band as opposed to 2 bands, which is another of my personal preferences. Does anyone know if Thater has offerings in those ranges?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
river1

Post by river1 »

Peter, this is a little off of topic but I think the photos that you took of the brushes are beautiful. There is no hint of flash...if you used one...and the brilliance of the handle is a nice contrast to the badger. Sorry that you are disappointed in the performance and thanks for the objectivity.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Guys, these 2-bands are a limited run, right? The fan/flat lofts are sold out. So...are there going to be more? If not, great, I'll cross it off my list and never look back. But if so...

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Peter, I think you just saved me some money....
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
JimR

Post by JimR »

I am in on a group buy on another forum (I think you probably know the one). I'm not a big brush man, but I am intrigued by the idea of getting things at a discount, and I have a Thäter I got in trade and find it exceptionally nice to use. If the 2 band is any nicer, I can't imagine I7ll be disappointed.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i looked at the 2 band fan knotted thaters at srd last week. so i will give a brief take on my thoughts of them. hope it helps. i owned a thater 28mm bulb shaped silvertip 3 band and the two banded fan was quite a bit different. the 3 band was very similar to a big savile row but softer tips and slightly more dense. the 2 band was not even similar to my 2 band polo. it was not a dense brush but had backbone. it feels springy against the face (remember, it had not been wetted yet), and soft tips. the 23 mm felt more dense than the 25. the springy hairs felt almost as though they were a man made material. kinda thick feeling hairs , springy, yet not stiff. in the heat of battle i think the fan knotted thater will be ideal for face lathering
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

You're killing me, Gil. It's being bandied about that there may be a second run of these, but if so, not until the new year.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau