Plisson Plexi

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have greatly enjoyed and appreciated the discussions about the brush that was the subject of this thread, I think the consensus is that it is a size 24, 3 band. Wanting to know more about them, I have some questions for those of our number who are knowledgeable about these beautiful brushes.

Is it HMW or European White? How can we tell the difference?
Approximately when was it manufactured?
Are there varied schools of thought about the 3 band vs. the 2 band, as relating to the performance and desirability of these big Plissons?
For those who find themselves fortunate enough to own one, is a brush of this pedigree good with soaps as well as creams?
One thing I've wondered, after the dust has settled, did the new owner get good value in the transaction?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

brothers wrote:I have greatly enjoyed and appreciated the discussions about the brush that was the subject of this thread, I think the consensus is that it is a size 24, 3 band. Wanting to know more about them, I have some questions for those of our number who are knowledgeable about these beautiful brushes.

Are there varied schools of thought about the 3 band vs. the 2 band, as relating to the performance and desirability of these big Plissons?
For those who find themselves fortunate enough to own one, is a brush of this pedigree good with soaps as well as creams?
One thing I've wondered, after the dust has settled, did the new owner get good value in the transaction?
It's EW: plexi PLissons with a white collar are EW , with a black collar are HMW

I think it was manufactured in the eighties.

Two band brushes are generally stiffer than three bands'this applies to Plisson two vs three bands as well. But i never saw a large two band plexi Plisson...almost impossible to make because of the long bristles.

Never used any of my plexi Plissons so can't say anything about their performance.

The new owner got indeed good value for the price he paid, at least imho....
Peter
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:I have greatly enjoyed and appreciated the discussions about the brush that was the subject of this thread, I think the consensus is that it is a size 24, 3 band. Wanting to know more about them, I have some questions for those of our number who are knowledgeable about these beautiful brushes.

I cannot add much to Our Good Doctor's comments regarding Plisson provenance, except that the highwater mark for these brushes appears to be between 1970 and 1980, after which the fine HMW became unobtainable. Men I know who have used both tell me that in practice there is no difference between the performance and feel of EW and HMW badger. However, if one has bought his brush to admire rather than to make lather, the HMW is far more glorious in appearance.

The brush I own and use every day is a High Mountain White, not European White, and is a #24. I generally use it with Trumper's hard soap and it makes magnificent lather almost instantly. Since this brush can hold an enormous amount of water, one must be patient in learning how much water to leave on the badger when lathering. I have upon occasion used this brush with my son's creams (oh, where did I go wrong?), and it seems to make equally copious and marvelous lather.

I also think that the mechanics of this brush make it different from others I have seen and used. When wet, the bulb shape forms a point which is where the soap is picked up. Somehow, the extreme length of the hair, its flexibility asnd resilience, when combined with its wet shape, create a wildly succesful lather machine.

Whether or not the buyer of the brush in question got good value depends entirely upon the buyer's value system and optimization function.

Oh, yes, one more thing. I am of a minority opinion on this list in believing that the endless discussion of two versus three band brushes is utter nonsense.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Peter and Buzz for the information, it's hard to find first hand impressions about this type brush.

Buzz, I would argue with you about the two band thing, if only to justify the amount I've spent on them, but it's early yet and I haven't had enough coffee.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:Thanks Peter and Buzz for the information, it's hard to find first hand impressions about this type brush.

Buzz, I would argue with you about the two band thing, if only to justify the amount I've spent on them, but it's early yet and I haven't had enough coffee.
Given what these brushes cost, I may be the ony shaver in the world stupid enough to actually use one. Come to think of it, I may have to downgrade from Peet's to Maxwell House to make ends meet...gotta have my five or six cups a day!

Buzz
Last edited by M6Classic on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I certainly hope it doesn't come to that Buzz, standards, once established, must be maintained.
Regards,
Squire
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Doing a Plisson and Peet's (Major Dickason's Blend) double-header this morning myself....
Lynn
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Plisson 16 & Peets too Lynn. We have a few in Boston. Just not enough!

Max
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Men who start the morning with a Plisson brush and Peet's coffee? Why, this could be a movement! More likely to be a cult, I suppose...albeit a kind and gentle cult into which all are welcome.

Buzz
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

As our own New England version of the mistral has swept in and stunned what was otherwise shaping up to be a very pleasant Spring. Err, where was I?

Ah yes, Plisson and Peets coffee. A #12 in ivory resin in my case, and Major Dickason's, fresh beans ground in my burr grinder and brewed in a french press.

Peets is something I can buy locally: my favorite is the store in Newton Center, Massachusetts staffed, just coincidentally, by several very attractive young women. When I last gave my order, the lovely said: "Ah, a pound of the Major!"

I guess you had to be there.

Greg
PS-It was 14°F the other morning, with the wind chill. I believe in wind chill.
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

GregPQ wrote:I guess you had to be there.

Greg
PS-It was 14°F the other morning, with the wind chill. I believe in wind chill.
The wind chill factor was developed by the famous geographer Paul Siple as an outgrowth of his doctoral research at Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts.

Buzz
brothers

Re: Plisson Plexi

Post by brothers »

Today was my first morning to enjoy a cup of Peet's Major Dickason's coffee, (found it yesterday at the supermarket) and although I haven't used my new Plisson yet, I've enjoyed reading about it, and the other brush, the large Plexi handled one that was the subject of the original post above. I bought it then, as you may have guessed, and have enjoyed hundreds of wonderful shaves it has provided since then.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Plisson Plexi

Post by fallingwickets »

Use in good health gary

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum