Plisson Plexi

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
churchilllafemme

Plisson Plexi

Post by churchilllafemme »

For all you Plisson aficionados, there's now a Plexi for sale on eBay that appears to be listed at an extremely reasonable starting price. Having gotten rid of mine, I now feel free to enable others....
_______
John
druphus

Post by druphus »

This is about the 10th time that brush has been listed over the past year. Always a "Buy it Now" at the same price. If it doesn't sell it will be back up in a couple of weeks.

I would love a Plexi, but after having aquired a late 80's vintage HMW recently, that's what I'm after.
Last edited by druphus on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Andy
churchilllafemme

I wasn't talking about the one that keeps getting relisted for a BIN price of $385. The one that is newly listed is being auctioned, with a starting bid price of $199.99. If it truly is a size 20 EW, that's an extremely good price, since they retail for $640-685.
_______
John
druphus

Post by druphus »

Ah, yes indeed John! Sorry for my incorrect assumption.
Regards,
Andy
druphus

Post by druphus »

churchilllafemme wrote:If it truly is a size 20 EW...
John, I think that's a "display brush". It has an overall length of 155mm with a loft approaching 90mm! That would have to be more like a size 24, but the loft is too long! It would be a "mop" to shave with!
Regards,
Andy
churchilllafemme

druphus wrote:
churchilllafemme wrote:If it truly is a size 20 EW...
John, I think that's a "display brush". It has an overall length of 155mm with a loft approaching 90mm! That would have to be more like a size 24, but the loft is too long! It would be a "mop" to shave with!
I think you're right. To me the loft appears to be 82mm or so - way too big for a size 20, which is supposed to be 68mm. So it probably is one of the "not really to be used" brushes meant just to sit on a store counter. But maybe one of our truly fanatical Plisson fans will want it just for the novelty value. Even my size 20, which I traded away, was too much of a mop for me to use in my rotation.
_______
John
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

druphus wrote:John, I think that's a "display brush". It has an overall length of 155mm with a loft approaching 90mm! That would have to be more like a size 24, but the loft is too long! It would be a "mop" to shave with!
Oh, you are quite wrong about that.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

Too big to use and too big to ever resell to a user. An albatross. A sophisticated Plisson afficionado can get a new one in a practical useable size from the factory, and will spend (invest) their money wisely. Not so with a gargantuan mock-up made for display purposes only. Buyer's remorse will be a huge factor. Just my opinion. Paint brushes are cheaper at the home and garden center! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:Too big to use and too big to ever resell to a user. An albatross. A sophisticated Plisson afficionado can get a new one in a practical useable size from the factory, and will spend (invest) their money wisely. Not so with a gargantuan mock-up made for display purposes only. Buyer's remorse will be a huge factor. Just my opinion. Paint brushes are cheaper at the home and garden center! :lol:
For forty years I have used a #24 HMW set in plexiglass (someone around here insists its a #20 and he seems to know more than the people at Plisson, Colonial Drug where I bought my second, and the old Caswell Massey where I bought my first). No problems, great brush, easy to handle. It isn't a display brush, at least it shouldn't be. Just because it is too big for some amongst us does not mean it is too big to use.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shouldering aside the crowd Buzz goes merrily on his way.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:Shouldering aside the crowd Buzz goes merrily on his way.
Enormous Plisson with Trumper's sandalwood hard soap (and no other brush or soap for years on end). I can't possibly be the only one, can I!?!? :o

Buzz
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

brothers wrote: Paint brushes are cheaper at the home and garden center! :lol:
Thanks for the chuckle Gary!
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Band of a select few perhaps Buzz, I say to each his own.
Regards,
Squire
lfb

Post by lfb »

The Plisson listed on eBay could be size 18 or 20, but is definitely not a display brush. Anybody who considers submitting a bid should ask the seller for exact measurements for overall height and handle height. The badger hair in these vintage brushes is different from what is available now, and the brushes are taller overall. The handles have not changed though, expect a handle height of about 2.75in for size 20 and 2.5in for size 18.

The vintage brushes below, from left to right, are HMW 18, EW 20, HMW 20, and EW 18. I bought the HMW 20 about seven years ago at Colonial Drug. At that time they had only handful of these NOS brushes left, two in size 20 and a few smaller ones; I picked one of the two large ones. The EW 20 to its left is from Caswell Massey; it is also labelled size 20.
M6Classic wrote: For forty years I have used a #24 HMW set in plexiglass (someone around here insists its a #20 and he seems to know more than the people at Plisson, Colonial Drug where I bought my second, and the old Caswell Massey where I bought my first).
Buzz
Everyone reading this forum will sooner or later stumble across a reference to this mythical Plexi #24. Given my interest in Plisson brushes, I asked Buzz for actual measurements, which he kindly posted. It turns out that his brush is of the same size as the HMW 18 shown below: same handle, same loft, perhaps slightly different knot size. That is what I pointed out, and that's all there is to it. What I do, or do not, know about shaving brushes has nothing to do with it.

Leo

Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Beautiful, stunning Plisson brushes Leo. I especially like the HMW on the far left. I have a question for you. Do you notice much, if any, differences between the hair on the HMW vs. the EW, both in terms of shaving satisfaction and cosmetic interest.
churchilllafemme

lfb wrote:The vintage brushes below, from left to right, are HMW 18, EW 20, HMW 20, and EW 18. I bought the HMW 20 about seven years ago at Colonial Drug. At that time they had only handful of these NOS brushes left, two in size 20 and a few smaller ones; I picked one of the two large ones. The EW 20 to its left is from Caswell Massey; it is also labelled size 20.
Whatever the sizes, those Plissons are beautiful.
_______
John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I wonder if Plisson ever made a plexi #24...could possibly be since they make(made....) a #24 in horn...
All i know is they made a plexi #32... :wink:
Peter
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

lfb wrote:Everyone reading this forum will sooner or later stumble across a reference to this mythical Plexi #24. Given my interest in Plisson brushes, I asked Buzz for actual measurements, which he kindly posted. It turns out that his brush is of the same size as the HMW 18 shown below: same handle, same loft, perhaps slightly different knot size. That is what I pointed out, and that's all there is to it. What I do, or do not, know about shaving brushes has nothing to do with it.

Leo
Like I said, I was told by knowledgable experts in 1972 and again in 2005 that they are #24s. However, I have no investment in what they're called and no interest in Plisson minutiae. I have even less interest if that's possible in whether or not yours or anyone's is bigger than mine.

Buzz
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Great pics, Leo. Those are stunning brushes...
Lynn
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Wow...those are really beautiful.