My First Simpson

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rpk

My First Simpson

Post by rpk »

New to the forum, having just joined in the last couple weeks. Have been soaking it all in since getting into using a DE razor back in the middle of September, and hope to contribute at some point. Took the plunge and picked up a Simpson X2L "The Colonel" brush this past week, and all I can say is "wow!". I'm really impressed with the quality of the Simpson brush. I keep picking it up and studying it like a piece of art. Really look forward to using this, as I wanted a brush that would do well with soaps and from what I can tell the Simpson brushes should work well. Now I have to resist the urge to collect more of them! :)

Take care,

Rich
drumana

Post by drumana »

Congrats, Rich. I've had over a dozen Simpson brushes and find them to be superb. The Colonel is highly regarded. Enjoy! And stay away from these parts unless you want to buy more brushes... :D
-Andrew-
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome Rich!.....you're doomed!..... :twisted:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Welcome! You made a good choice. I have a number of Simpsons, and they're great.
_______
John
kooshman7

Post by kooshman7 »

Like others have stated, beware as the desire to want to get more will come up, but an excellent first choice for a brush you've made! I've got a variety of Simpsons as well, and they are overall my favorite brand. I like others for sure, but for me nothing quite beats the Simpson brush to me! :)
Joe
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

desertbadger wrote:Welcome Rich!.....you're doomed!..... :twisted:

:lol:
Another unwary one wanders in and is ensnared!
rpk

Post by rpk »

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Started with a Vulfix entry level brush that has worked great for cremes, but wasn't doing to well when I tried a soap (too floppy?). The Simpson brush has much more backbone, and I don't foresee any problem whipping up a good lather from soap with it.
desertbadger wrote:Welcome Rich!.....you're doomed!..... :twisted:
Yup, I pretty much figured that out as soon as I started seeing all the variety available with this hobby! I figure now I'll have some ideas for the kids when they ask about hints for Christmas presents. I was staring at the pictures of the Duke and Chubby for a long time before settling on the Colonel...we won't even go into discussing razors. LOL :shock:

Take care,

Rich
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rich, you did good first time out. My advice is to use it with impunity for soaps and creams alike, and experiment to learn what technique works best for your particular brush and soap/cream. It has been my experience and because of that I have formed a belief that when I happen to create a less than perfect lather, it's not the fault of the brush or the soap/cream, but is the result of me using a certain technique that didn't fit the requirements of the stuff I was using to make that lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Off to a running start Rich, welcome aboard, keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
brucered

Post by brucered »

had a DUKE2 , sold it for the COLONEL, which i still love.

i've since added this year a CASE/TUBE and have a ROVER on order and a WEE SCOTT on my "wish list" for christmas.

enjoy the COLONEL, it's my favorite brush in my rotation.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

The colonel is one of the last 2 items on my must buy list. I love reading impressioms on it.
brucered

Post by brucered »

itsmedave wrote:The colonel is one of the last 2 items on my must buy list. I love reading impressioms on it.
i don't think you'll be disappointed in it....it's a great brush, super dense, works well for face and bowl lathering. i like it more then my now sold Duke 2 (i found the handle too short on that one)
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

brucered wrote:
itsmedave wrote:The colonel is one of the last 2 items on my must buy list. I love reading impressioms on it.
i don't think you'll be disappointed in it....it's a great brush, super dense, works well for face and bowl lathering. i like it more then my now sold Duke 2 (i found the handle too short on that one)
As quickly as I find one used for testing, I'll pick it up. I have a Mighty Midget, Wee Scot (on order), and an Omega 49 so I think that one would fit into my rotation perfectly.
Last edited by itsmedave on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Young

Re: My First Simpson

Post by Gary Young »

rpk wrote:New to the forum, having just joined in the last couple weeks. Have been soaking it all in since getting into using a DE razor back in the middle of September, and hope to contribute at some point. Took the plunge and picked up a Simpson X2L "The Colonel" brush this past week, and all I can say is "wow!". I'm really impressed with the quality of the Simpson brush. I keep picking it up and studying it like a piece of art. Really look forward to using this, as I wanted a brush that would do well with soaps and from what I can tell the Simpson brushes should work well. Now I have to resist the urge to collect more of them! :)

Take care,

Rich
Rich

Now I REALLY like this comment of yours! I am sure my family would agree!! :)

Gary
Gary
brucered

Post by brucered »

even my 4 & 6y old boys use a SIMPSON when they shave (which will be in about 15min)...i let them use my CASE to lather up....

they were using a cheapo brush when i 1st got them interested in it, but now that they are shaving on a weekly basis, i've upgraded their hardware and let them use my brushes.

might as well get get them accustomed to quality at an early age!
njpaddy

Post by njpaddy »

The Colonel was my first Simpson, but led to 6 more Simpsons bought this year. I finally settled on the Rover, Duke 1 and Berkeley as my top 3. A Colonel and 56 were PIF'd to family members and a Special to someone else. A Wee Scot is my shave stick brush.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Welcome Rich. There are a lot of choices with the Simpson brushes. It's hard to make a bad one. Enjoy your first. It won't be your last.
Dave
rpk

Post by rpk »

Well, finally got some time to try out the Colonel tonight, and I'm very happy. The feel of the handle is just right. The firmness of the brush, it's backbone, is excellent. Broke out a tub of TOBS Lavender soap for the inaugural run. Was able to make an excellent lather using the brush, both face lathering and later bowl lathering (experimenting both ways). My other brush flattens out quite a bit, so haven't been too successful with it with soap. Doesn't pick the soap up as easily, maybe due to it not being very dense. Definitely fun comparing and contrasting the two brushes though.

Look forward to adding to my Simpsons "art collection" :wink: in the future.
Last edited by rpk on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rich
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I found the Colonel as well thanks to OtherMoe. Can't wait to give it a shot.