Simpsons Chubby 3 and Tulip 4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

I'm not so sure that price was out of line John. By the way, I wasn't the one selling it. The last 3 Somerset Tulip 4's sold that I could find were two from the other board: one on 4/20/2011 for $245. and one on 6/14/08 for $200. One on this board sold for $240. on 2/9/11.

Keeping in mind that the brush sold was from 2003, according to the seller, and was new and never used, the price seems to be relatively in line, not inexpensive by any measure, but relatively in line.

When I was looking for a Somerset Tulip 4 a few months ago, someone contacted me by e-mail and offered me one for $600. As you would imagine, I didn't buy it.
malocchio

I confess

Post by malocchio »

Bless me Father ,for I confess !! It was I who pulled the trigger,although I thought Gary would bid...Yes,it was about $50 over the usual price,but I have been searching a long time for a NIB somerset t4 and Rooney finest with a 24-28mm knot....no luck on either one for more than a year,rarely do they come up for sale,and the very few times they did,someone beat me to the punch,so at least now I have one,even though I paid more than what I wanted to..If it had been $349 I would have passed,but I do look forward to many fine latherings with this brush...
druphus

Re: I confess

Post by druphus »

malocchio wrote:Bless me Father ,for I confess !! It was I who pulled the trigger,although I thought Gary would bid...Yes,it was about $50 over the usual price,but I have been searching a long time for a NIB somerset t4 and Rooney finest with a 24-28mm knot....no luck on either one for more than a year,rarely do they come up for sale,and the very few times they did,someone beat me to the punch,so at least now I have one,even though I paid more than what I wanted to..If it had been $349 I would have passed,but I do look forward to many fine latherings with this brush...
Enjoy! And, please post measurements and photos on your new brush when you get it.
Regards,
Andy
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Malocchio, regardless of my opinion about the price, you got a great brush, truly one of the finest Simpson ever made, and I hope you enjoy it for years.
_______
John
ltjaw

Re: Simpsons Chubby 3 and Tulip 4

Post by ltjaw »

Gary,

Did you ever end up with a Tulip 4 or CH3? I am planning to purchase a Tulip 4 in 3-band Super and am looking for any opinions on the brush. The Persian Jar 3 is also in the running. One of my current favorite brushes is the Chubby 2 in Super 3-band. I'm going for a similar sized (medium-large) knot with a little less density and taller loft, but not floppy at all. I have owned and sold Tulip 3s with Super 2-band and Manchurian knots. I love the handle, but didn't care for the 2-band knots. I have also owned and sold a PJ3 in 2-band Super. I don't find much on the forums about the T4.
Andrew
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have a Somerset T4 in Super and love it, but what the IoM version is like I can't say. I do have IoM and Somerset PJ3s and the IoM version (a two band) is nearly as nice to use. It's softer than the thick-shafted hair used in the Somersets. The other big IoM Simpson that I have absolutely no regrets about buying is the PL8 two band. It is also softer than a Somerset brush, but still very nice to use.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I have a Simfix T3 3-band the handle is older Simpsons with a IoM knot). The hair resembles that used in my first generation Rooney Heritage knots; maybe being a slightly thicker gauge. The knot density resides somewhere between an Emillion and my Carter era Duke 3/PL 8. However, the loft is sufficiently long to keep the brush from being a lather hog, although the flow through is not as exceptional as the BK 4. If you are after a stiffer bristle this may not be the brush for you. it has a soft and luxurious feel on the face, nothing like the responsive feel that comes with a Rooney Finest or M&F Blonde, nor I would assume a Somerset Super or Manchurian.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I have a 2 band Chubby 3 (Sommerset) and it is one great brush. It handles creams or soaps equally well and produces all the lather you could ever want from a brush.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

ltjaw wrote:Gary,

Did you ever end up with a Tulip 4 or CH3? I am planning to purchase a Tulip 4 in 3-band Super and am looking for any opinions on the brush. The Persian Jar 3 is also in the running. One of my current favorite brushes is the Chubby 2 in Super 3-band. I'm going for a similar sized (medium-large) knot with a little less density and taller loft, but not floppy at all. I have owned and sold Tulip 3s with Super 2-band and Manchurian knots. I love the handle, but didn't care for the 2-band knots. I have also owned and sold a PJ3 in 2-band Super. I don't find much on the forums about the T4.
Hi Andrew, sorry I didn't see this when you first posted it. We've since visited by PM. At the time I posted the original, I couldn't have guessed it, but a series of brush-related misadventures brought me an NOS Rooney Finest with a very large loft, my perfect brush. Entirely took my eyes off the Simpsons, but now that we've rejuvenated this thread, I'm having thoughts of something from Simpson's in Best with a large loft. Something similar in size to a Shavemac 220.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444