Somersets

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
churchilllafemme

Somersets

Post by churchilllafemme »

Well, I decided I was being too elitist, collecting Somerset Simpsons just in Best and Super, so I picked up some Pures from Robert at TGS. From the left, a Duke 1, Duke 3, Duke 2, Eagle 1, Special, Eagle 2, Beaufort 2, Beaufort 4, Beaufort 3, and Beaufort 5. Now I just have to figure out how to display them between uses, since my wall rack is full.
_______
John
malocchio

badger stable

Post by malocchio »

what a magnificent line-up ~!!!
SRD

Post by SRD »

What a super lot that is! Congrats.
Dave
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Hi John,

Nice looking brushes. Would you consider showing your best and super collection of Somersets?

Actually, I would enjoy seeing all the different collections from those of you who care to display them for us.
churchilllafemme

Sure. Here are the Bests.

And here are the Supers and Extra Supers (Manchurians).
_______
John
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Wow, what a gorgeous collection. Since they're not making Somersets any more, they will become more valuable over time, not that that is the reason you bought them. My experience is that the quality of the badger hair in Somersets is superior to today's offerings, primarily in having softer hair and more flexible shafts. Perhaps there is some ecological reason for that or maybe Vulfix is just fabricating knots based on what the marketplace is calling for right now. Certainly the diameter of the knots is smaller in the older Somersets compared to their more modern equivalents. None of this is meant to be a criticism of Vulfix, only a personal observation. Are all these brushes or just some of them in your daily rotation? I have a couple of observations and questions:

1. From your pictures I notice that many of the Best and Supers come in 3 band knots. I wonder how Simpson classified a knot as being either best or super? I know the diameters of the individual shafts are supposed to be thicker in the super hairs, thereby providing a stiffer backbone, but I wonder if there are other reasons. At least on many of my Somersets, there is a much more subtle distinction between best and super hair.

2. I noticed one or two bests in 2 banded hair and some supers in 2 banded. Do you notice much difference in brush characteristics between the 2 banded knots in best compared to super?

3. Do you prefer the bests to super or vice versa, or like them both for different reasons? Do you notice much difference between them? I realize we're drilling down on reasonably small differences, but it's interesting to me to try and differentiate and classify as part of the hobby we all share, and to me, shaving brushes are by far the most interesting part.

Again, beautiful brushes. Thanks for sharing them with us. By the way, I think this topic could only be fittingly explored and dissected on the SMF forum, given the experience levels here combined with the loyal, knowledgeable forum members.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That is an amazing collection! I really like the distinct fan-shape of the Somersets, as rounded brushheads just don't work for me.

I have two Somersets, an Eagle 3 and a Commodore 3. I also picked up a "Simfix" Grosvenor LE in two-band. Since I lather in a bowl, I prefer taller lofts and more flex than I get from these, so I have given them very little actual use.

- Murray
Fido

Post by Fido »

I'm reminded of the lone golfer hacking his way out of knee deep snow in a bunker being watched in amazement by a passing dog walker. "You should meet my brother - he's a real fanatic!" he muttered.

I wonder what else John collects.
Great photos too.
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Paul12644 wrote:
1. From your pictures I notice that many of the Best and Supers come in 3 band knots. I wonder how Simpson classified a knot as being either best or super?
...also interested in this. I believe the current Simpson Best is simply Super with some pure mixed in (Shavemac has a similar grade [Finest]), but from what I read Best and Super used to be more distinct, with a lot of chaps actually preferring the Best grade.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
churchilllafemme

Paul,
I'll try to answer your questions, although I am by no means a Simpson expert or historian.
1. Regarding the distinctions between 3-band Bests and Supers, my impression has been that there was less difference back in the "old days" of the Somersets between the two grades, more of a continuum rather than two sharply divided groups. Gary Young no doubt can answer the question and provide more information, if he's available.
2. The 2-bands of both groups seem to me to be more similar to each other than the 3-bands are. I think the 2-band Bests feel more like the Supers as a whole, a little stiffer and perhaps less densely packed than their 3-band brethren. But really, as I said, there's a continuum, and some of the Bests actually seem closer in their characteristics to some of the Supers than to the other Bests, and the same is true of the Supers. I'm not sure, however, how much all of this is just my imagination.
3. I like both the Bests and the Supers for quite different reasons. The Bests are the workhorses, with less backbone but somehow scrubbier, for me perhaps better for soaps. I like their sturdy no-nonsense character; they're my comrades. The Supers are the prima donnas, stiffer (more rigid, less compromising) but with softer tips, possibly better for creams. I guess I really admire them more than I like them. But I like both for face lathering, although they feel quite different from each other: the Bests feel more like skin cell defoliators and smoothers, while the Supers massage more gently.

I have a fair number of these brushes, but I am not at all as knowledgeable about them as some other members here no doubt are. Their comments would be welcome.

Murray,
There's quite a range in the Simpsons of the loft to knot ratio. The Eagle 3 and Commodore 3 have ratios of about 2.09 and 2.12. You might like brushes with a larger ratio, perhaps a Tulip 3 Super at 2.33 or a Harvard 5 Best at 2.6. That's part of the fun of exploring all of this and collecting the brushes. They're all so different and distinctive.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Fido wrote:I wonder what else John collects.
Nada. I don't like to collect things just to look at them, and I'm not a packrat. I use all of the Simpsons in my collection; in fact, I have to maintain a rotation roster sheet, to which I refer each morning to see what brush I'm supposed to use - then that usually guides my choice of which soap or cream to use (when I'm not running a comparison of vintage soaps). The only other things things I've collected were antique garden sprinklers, the rotating or spinning kind, which I got rid of because they were just taking up space, NOS Gillette razors, sold for the same reason, and left-handed Weatherby rifles, which I shot frequently but eventually had to give up due to financial pressures and a wife who hated guns.
_______
John
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

churchilllafemme wrote: I use all of the Simpsons in my collection
That was the question I was thinking, thanks.

churchilllafemme wrote: in fact, I have to maintain a rotation roster sheet, to which I refer each morning to see what brush I'm supposed to use -
That's fantastic - maybe one day I'll need to keep track of my collection the same way.
Dripp in Cincinnati
Fido

Post by Fido »

churchilllafemme wrote:
Fido wrote:I wonder what else John collects.
Nada. I don't like to collect things just to look at them, and I'm not a packrat. I use all of the Simpsons in my collection; in fact, I have to maintain a rotation roster sheet, to which I refer each morning to see what brush I'm supposed to use - then that usually guides my choice of which soap or cream to use (when I'm not running a comparison of vintage soaps). The only other things things I've collected were antique garden sprinklers, the rotating or spinning kind, which I got rid of because they were just taking up space, NOS Gillette razors, sold for the same reason, and left-handed Weatherby rifles, which I shot frequently but eventually had to give up due to financial pressures and a wife who hated guns.

I enjoy collecting for a purpose - usually as part of a study of something. Once the purpose has been achieved I pass things on just as soon as my enjoyment of ownership subsides. As I write I'm surrounded by bells in this room - among other things. They are rung mainly to celebrate something, so their use is unpredictable!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice collection John. Extremely nice, I think. I believe those of us who follow the pattern are good for business. If I were in the brush business, I think I'd be thrilled to see discussion topics and photos such as these.

And for a guy like me to be able to watch and admire, it's bound to make me a bit curious about Simpson brushes, but then it gets bogged down by the sub-catagories (Somerset/best/super/2-band/3-band/etc.) and then I sort of lose focus in a child-like confusion. Then I revert back to my own focus, "how high is the loft" and I can make some sense of it all if kept in that simplified dimension.

But anyway, it has helped me get interested enough to try to identify the Simpsons with the long lofts, 60 at least, and try to study about them to the extent that maybe I'd like to buy one. I'm still pondering that, by the way.

Regarding the pasttime of shaving, there's no doubt that many of us develop very real emotional interests toward our brushes. I confess that I've made light of that in the past, I have repented of that, and it remains one of my many regrets.

The shaving brushes are important to us, each in our own fashion. Most importantly, if it brings us joy and pleasure, then it's a good thing, and a most honorable endeavor. Personally, I'm learning a lot by seeing the photos and reading the questions and responses. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Thanks for your comments, John. For me at least, and obviously for you also, the Somerset Simpsons are the holy grail of shaving brushes, whether 2 band or three, best or super. I'm sure there are Plissons and Rooneys, especially the finests, that are equals, but at least two out of three of those are now things of the past, and some say the modern day Plissons are not the equal of yesterday's.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

churchilllafemme wrote:Paul,
I'll try to answer your questions, although I am by no means a Simpson expert or historian.
1. Regarding the distinctions between 3-band Bests and Supers, my impression has been that there was less difference back in the "old days" of the Somersets between the two grades, more of a continuum rather than two sharply divided groups. Gary Young no doubt can answer the question and provide more information, if he's available.
2. The 2-bands of both groups seem to me to be more similar to each other than the 3-bands are. I think the 2-band Bests feel more like the Supers as a whole, a little stiffer and perhaps less densely packed than their 3-band brethren. But really, as I said, there's a continuum, and some of the Bests actually seem closer in their characteristics to some of the Supers than to the other Bests, and the same is true of the Supers. I'm not sure, however, how much all of this is just my imagination.
3. I like both the Bests and the Supers for quite different reasons. The Bests are the workhorses, with less backbone but somehow scrubbier, for me perhaps better for soaps. I like their sturdy no-nonsense character; they're my comrades. The Supers are the prima donnas, stiffer (more rigid, less compromising) but with softer tips, possibly better for creams. I guess I really admire them more than I like them. But I like both for face lathering, although they feel quite different from each other: the Bests feel more like skin cell defoliators and smoothers, while the Supers massage more gently.

I have a fair number of these brushes, but I am not at all as knowledgeable about them as some other members here no doubt are. Their comments would be welcome.

Murray,
There's quite a range in the Simpsons of the loft to knot ratio. The Eagle 3 and Commodore 3 have ratios of about 2.09 and 2.12. You might like brushes with a larger ratio, perhaps a Tulip 3 Super at 2.33 or a Harvard 5 Best at 2.6. That's part of the fun of exploring all of this and collecting the brushes. They're all so different and distinctive.
Yes, definitely less of a 'gap' between Best and Super back in our day.
To be honest I think there are so many hair grades stated across all the brush makers that it makes it so much more confusing and difficult to choose a brush for you guys!!

Gary
Gary
river1

Post by river1 »

John, again, you have a great collection which is varied and enjoyed. Although, I only have six or seven the four that I have taken out of the boxes are used in my rotation with the Eagle and 58 being the favorites so far.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits