Is this a Plisson?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Is this a Plisson?

Post by brothers »

Vintage brush with what appears to be a solid slightly translucent base of acrylic tortoise shell, and unused badger knot, set with a metal ring at the base. Knot is firm and measures 20.66 mm X 57 mm. Sticker on one side says "pur blaireau paris". There are no other markings on the brush. I'm hoping it might be Plisson. I'm looking forward to using it. I'm no expert, and am hoping that some of you gentlemen who are a lot more knowledgeable than I can express some opinions about the origin of this pretty brush.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have no idea if it's a Plisson, Gary, but it is indeed a very pretty brush.
_______
John
Fido

Post by Fido »

I'd email Plisson, I always get prompt and very helpul responses:

rasageplisson@orange.fr
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

For what I understand,Plisson used to make brushes for another french brands,like Simpson did in the past too.This could be one of those brushes made by Plisson for other brands.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

You may have to email Plisson more than once. My experience has been that the accuracy of the information you get depends completely on who at Plisson answers your question. I've gotten good answers, but I've also gotten obviously, blatantly incorrect information too, probably from someone too young to be familiar with the Plisson history.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Great suggestion. I'll email them and see what they say. My track record of previous inquiries to Plisson on about 3 occasions over the past few weeks has been dismal. I've probably asked what they consider to be insultingly stupid questions, quite unworthy of any response, even though I thought the questions sounded intelligent. :lol: But I'm game and will pursue that avenue of inquiry with undying vigor! I'll be sure to share any responses I may receive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Fido wrote:I'd email Plisson, I always get prompt and very helpul responses:

rasageplisson@orange.fr
I've emailed Plisson twice, during the past couple of years, and never gotten a reply. My mails were in excellent French, and I was looking to purchase from them.

I bought my #12 EW from Jim at Vintage Blades who had an excellent selection and competitive prices. Great brush.
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fido provided an email address, and I think I'll use that for my next email to Plisson.

Up to now, I've been using the "contact" button on the website, and maybe that has something to do with the absence of any responses. The first time I emailed them was to ask if they knew any details about the Plisson I bought, and attached several photos. That's been about 7 weeks ago, with no acknowledgement. The next contact I had was when I wrote them to ask what are the measurements of the replacement (Joris) knots they are selling on the website. That's been about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Of course, my inquiries are in English, and maybe they don't "spikka no english"? I presume it's not unusual for them to receive written inquiries in any language, but I do think it's rather rude or arrogant for a manufacturer of the likes of Plisson (selling brushes at 3 to 4 times the price of any other brush in the world) to simply refuse to answer questions posed by current or future customers.
Gary

Fido

Post by Fido »

Strange. My first contact on each issue has always been through that contact route and in English then followed by a prompt reply within 24 hours. Then by exchange of emails.

Good luck.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

You'll have to be fairly persistant in reaching Joris Viart. A few months ago i had frequent email correspondence with Joris about the order of a two band genuine ivory #14. In the final stage of the ordering proces he replied very fast... :wink:
Peter
brothers

Post by brothers »

An ivory 14, yes, I imagine he did respond promptly! :lol:
Gary

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

brothers wrote:An ivory 14, yes, I imagine he did respond promptly! :lol:
Money talks............... :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
paddy

Post by paddy »

makes sense. one is a genuine enquiry to plisson about buying one of their products. the other is just some random guy wanting to ID an old brush that he has for his own purposes and which may not even be a plisson. they probably get hundreds of enquiries every week. i know which one i would prioritise if i were running a business.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

paddy wrote:makes sense. one is a genuine enquiry to plisson about buying one of their products. the other is just some random guy wanting to ID an old brush that he has for his own purposes and which may not even be a plisson. they probably get hundreds of enquiries every week. i know which one i would prioritise if i were running a business.
In my specific case, the first inquiry I sent was regarding a specifically unique heirloom Plisson I had purchased, along with photos, asking if they have any records of when it was made, why, and for whom. The second inquiry was exactly as you stated, asking for the knot and loft measurements of the replacement knots they are currently offering for sale.

Neither of those inquiries were deemed worthy of a response. I haven't even sent the other one, yet, about (as you say) " just some random guy wanting to ID an old brush that he has for his own purposes and which may not even be a plisson." I'd bet they would have been much more eager to respond to my first two inquiries, but they never did. Is that your point?
Gary

paddy

Post by paddy »

nah, i don't have any point. i just like to see you get all worked up.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
numcks

Post by numcks »

If they do not want to respond to bona fide inquiries and want my business, they had better respond to a "contact us" inquiry from their website. If they do not want to be bothered, then remove the %^&$! link! It really irks me when that happens and I make it a point not to patronize such manufacturers/vendors.
Cheers,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

The knot seems to be what I would call "pure" badger. After all, that is what it says on the little sticker. :lol: Maybe I'll decide to shampoo it and eventually see how it performs doing what it is supposed to do.
Gary

brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:The knot seems to be what I would call "pure" badger. After all, that is what it says on the little sticker. :lol: Maybe I'll decide to shampoo it and eventually see how it performs doing what it is supposed to do.
This was almost two years ago. The pretty brush got stuck in a box and didn't resurface until today. I decided it had been waiting far too long. I shampooed it and shaved with it this evening. Used my MdC clone soap I made on 11-11-13 in my kitchen. This is the soap with a simple recipe, but it's outstanding performance-wise. The French brush did quite well. I am convinced that the knot is "pure". There aren't any bands or bleached tips to distinguish it. It's got enough loft and even though it's a bit scritchy, it did a whale of a job for me. Swirled it on the soap with distilled water for 20 seconds, and it built an incredible lather. Abundant, quite slick, rich, and cushiony. The brush held enough lather for as many passes as I wanted, and in my case, that's three full passes, with a ton of lather left over for squeezing out post shave. This is a wonderful brush and I'm really glad I found it at the flea market and bought it for a song. Oh, I don't care if it's a Plisson or whatever it may be. I'm a lucky guy to have it!
Gary

river1

Re: Is this a Plisson?

Post by river1 »

Gary, thanks for bringing this ancient thread to life again. Missed it the first time around but I have a similar brush that was a birthday present from 1985. It came as part of a gold plated brush, stand, and cup set which I still have. In those days my brush was from a collection of Ever Ready badger brushes NIB given to me by my grandfather. The Plisson was not marked other than badger and was very soft. It was retired around 2004 along with the Ever Ready's when the Crabtree & Evelyn, Plisson burl wood, etc. were added.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...