Kent BK8 Review

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mattyb240

Kent BK8 Review

Post by mattyb240 »

So after the help from fellow members here I received the Kent BK8 for christmas. This is my first "expensive" (for me at least) brush. My previous brush was EJ Best Badger brush.

My criteria:
Must have a large enough handle to fill my Muhle Shaving Mug
Soft bristles
Gentler on my skin

The brush looks absolutely stunning in its presentation case, I was shocked by the size of it. The handle is so comfortable to grip much better than my previous EJ brush.

I could tell before soaking the brush this thing was going to be soft on my face. I compared the size against my mug and was pleased to see the handle poking out the top. I like this mug a lot, it just wasn't ideal with my much shorter EJ brush. Before long lather would be all over the handle rather than the brush!

After its initial soak and left to sit in lathered cream to get any remaining smell out of the brush I took it for a test drive. I love the size of this brush, it covers my face in a gentle manor. The tips feel of a high quality and don't have the scratchiness that my EJ has. It lathers up well but was surprised at just how much water this brush could hold. People wanting a stiff brush would be disappointed, but it is the perfect density for me thus far.

All in all I could highly recommend this brush to anyone wanting something large in there hands! I'm still getting used to how much water/cream to use with this brush. Previous complaints I had about little red marks on my neck seem to have almost disappeared after using this brush. This leads me to believe that perhaps the EJ brush was just to scratchy for my skin.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Nice review. It sounds like the brush fits you quite well.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very good review matt, nice photos.

The BK series is one of my favorite ranges, versatile, quality examples of traditional shaving brushes.
Regards,
Squire
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Thanks for the nice writeup--it looks like you will get along great with your new BK8. That's a beautiful brush!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A brush I would like to own one day -- thanks for the review.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The BK4 should work very well with the Fat.
Regards,
Squire
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

My BK12 is my go to brush and has been for the most part of 2011.

Good choice in brush.
笑う門に福来る。
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks to some generous gifts along the line, the BK4 and 8 have served me well, and I'm still moderately curious about the 12. I think in due time there'll be a 12 in the picture. Brushes are one of our more expensive investments, and difficult for me to justify new ones as often as I'd like.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Fido

Post by Fido »

The BK12 is a monster. The BK8 was my first serious brush, it's good value for a brush of its type and size and slightly bigger than my preferred limit. So the 12 is off my radar.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Fido wrote:The BK12 is a monster. The BK8 was my first serious brush, it's good value for a brush of its type and size and slightly bigger than my preferred limit. So the 12 is off my radar.
I had a BK12 and as Fido said, it is a monster. It was way to big for me so I sold it. I would someday like to try a BK4 as I do like the looks and feel of the Kent brushes.

mattyb, nice write up and pictures.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

Thanks guys, I appreciated all of your input into helping me make the decision. I think I would have been happy with the 4 as well, but on this occasion I'm glad I went with the 8. I think the 12 would be to large for me, although I would just like to have it anyway to look at!

As you say they are an investment, and new ones are hard to justify but this was well worth it coming from my EJ brush it just looks so small in comparison! I just need to get my lathering back up to scratch with this new brush, change is hard!
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

What shaving mug is that in the pictures?
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Nice review, Matt. I've never gone down the road of the Kent brushes so this is particularly interesting for me.
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

Johnny wrote:What shaving mug is that in the pictures?
It is sold by Muhle and they call it their black porcelain shave mug. I have an identical one that is made by Edwin Jagger. It is quite attractive. I'm actually trying to sell mine in the b/s/t right now actually.
Best,
Scott
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

It's odd that as one uses a brush as large as the BK 12 for a longer period of time, how all other brushes (CH3 included) seem somewhat lacking. Not that I don't enjoy them, but size is just not there.

I have used the BK12 for about 9 months straight. (Of course there is the odd other brush tossed in once every week or two). The familiarity with that size of a brush really is a pleasure.

Enjoy your BK8!
笑う門に福来る。
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I've been back on a big brush kick over the last couple of months - from 28-32mm and luvin' them!

Used my Kent BLK12 this morning and its the epitome of a luxury shave -
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

12 is a great brush but too big for me. Both the 8 and 4 are very nice. Come to think of it, kent is the only 'name' that i have used where every one of their brushes is an absolute pleasure

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nice review. When I first considered the Kent brushes, years ago, the BK8 was the one I focused on as being ideal for me. But by the time I actually got around to getting one, my taste had altered and I went with the BK4 instead. A superlative shave brush, really IMO. I don't have it currently but plan on getting it back. When I think about my 'ideal' shave brush I tend to picture the old Kent 'T' series style handle in faux ivory with the same knot as the BK4 only with a bit shorter loft. That would do it for me. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I've been back on a big brush kick over the last couple of months - from 28-32mm and luvin' them!

Used my Kent BLK12 this morning and its the epitome of a luxury shave -
Please stop -- my wallet is starting to do its own thinking.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So long as it doesn't start sending you subliminal messages while you sleep.
Regards,
Squire