Need a scrubby brush for MWF

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Mr. Choo-Choo

Need a scrubby brush for MWF

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

Thanks to the recent generosity of sgtrecon212, I am now hooked on both Van Der Hagen and in particular Mitchell's Wool Fat. Can someone recommend a scrubby (stiffer), reasonably priced brush for MWF? I am leaning toward Vulfix because my badger has been bulletproof over 6+ years, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Vulfix tends to make a softer more flexible brush than Simpson's. Even with that being said I can still easily lather MWF with my Vulfix 2234 Super Badger. Yes, my Simpson's Commodore X2 can load it easier and quicker (not by much though) but the end result is still the same. I have also used a horsehair brush, a Frank Shaving Finest, and even the Target Shea Moisture brush on the Fat with excellent results. Just find a brush you like and learn how to use it. I don't buy into the whole soap or cream brush thing. Just learn your tool and you can make it work on most any product.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

Sorry, I couldn't help it ;-)

I've had good luck with most brushes and MWF, you might just need to load a little longer, and let some water rest on top of the soap while you shower.
--------------------------
-Moe
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I started with a Vulfix 2234, went through a prolonged scrubby brush phase, but find myself having returned to brushes with flexible knots. I have no problems loading them with any type of soap.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I have several vintage boar brushes that I usually use with my soaps. I like them because I always face lather my soaps and it seems that I get much better lather by using the boar. But I also have a C&E BB brush that I have had success with on soaps and face lathering.

A good pure or best badger brush might work as well as a boar by Semogue, or one from Omega.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Omega boar brush.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I really like my Semogue 1305 with MWF - but I also find that my Edwin Jagger/C&E Super Badger is easily up to the task of working The Fat equally well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

my main and favorite soap is MWF

i have used several different brushes including simspon and vulfix and plissan too

im settled on rooney brushes. each brush i have tried worked without a problem with MWF

but the rooneys are tops in my book.

a simple 1/1 is silver tip at $75.00 just cant be beat

marc
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

At the present time I use four different brushes and they all work great with MWF.

Duke 2 best badger
Rooney 1/1 best badger
Rooney 1/2 best badger
Omega 10005 boar

Oh, I also have a Simpsons Major travel brush with super badger and a Wee Scot with best badger and they both work well with MWF.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

Semogue owners club will do the trick, as will an Omega boar if you want a more budget-friendly brush.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

jww wrote:I really like my Semogue 1305 with MWF - but I also find that my Edwin Jagger/C&E Super Badger is easily up to the task of working The Fat equally well.
Turn in your Union Jack!

Buzz
brucered

Post by brucered »

another vote for a Semogue...i use the 1305 and LE Bristle 2 with no issues.
Elephants never forget!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Turn in your Union Jack!
\:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

:D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:
Turn in your Union Jack!
\:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

:D :D

clive
Never ...... harrumph!

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

I'm a big fan of my Simpson Colonel X2L with MWF. The brush is scrubby, picks up soaps with ease, and face lathers very efficiently.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Semogue 1800 or SOC finest badger.Two videos using MWF with a Semogue 1800 and a Semogue finest badger (one making lather on a bowl another facelatering).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hX9-oIWIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LAzcxK6lHU
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Regarding the 2 videos...

I suspect I may be showing my ignorance here, but isn't that the still I see when I go to Vintage Scent? Isn't that the gent pictured there?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

ShadowsDad wrote:Regarding the 2 videos...

I suspect I may be showing my ignorance here, but isn't that the still I see when I go to Vintage Scent? Isn't that the gent pictured there?
Yes,its me,the Semogue lover,the Semogue fanatic.The other is du212,another member of this board (the video with the Semogue 1800).
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Are you connected to Vintage Scents?

Quite understandable, the fanaticism. Semogue makes a very nice boar. Frankly, I can't understand why they aren't more popular here in the US. They have everything I think a brush should have...softness and backbone and never scratchy as some badgers can be, even when they are new. Right now I only have my 1438 broken in and it does everything, creams, soft soaps and pucks equally well, and easily. I face lather and it's perfect IMO. Maybe the lack of instant gratification is why they aren't more popular in the US since they require a break in period to achieve their potential. But that's part of the journey. The quality of the lather is the same with my 1438 or my Rooney 3/1 SS. Huge difference in price though. I think I paid in the low $20s for the 1438.

I used the 610 for the first time this morning and I suddenly remembered about boar break in. I knew it intellectually, but had forgotten it, it was so subtle when it happened with the 1438. I'll probably use the 610 every day for the next month or so to get it broken in. I badly want another quality boar in my shave rotation. It did show me enough potential this morning to want me to get it to the point that the promise of what it can be meets my expectations of what it will be a short time from now.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

ShadowsDad wrote:Are you connected to Vintage Scents?

Quite understandable, the fanaticism. Semogue makes a very nice boar. Frankly, I can't understand why they aren't more popular here in the US. They have everything I think a brush should have...softness and backbone and never scratchy as some badgers can be, even when they are new. Right now I only have my 1438 broken in and it does everything, creams, soft soaps and pucks equally well, and easily. I face lather and it's perfect IMO. Maybe the lack of instant gratification is why they aren't more popular in the US since they require a break in period to achieve their potential. But that's part of the journey. The quality of the lather is the same with my 1438 or my Rooney 3/1 SS. Huge difference in price though. I think I paid in the low $20s for the 1438.

I used the 610 for the first time this morning and I suddenly remembered about boar break in. I knew it intellectually, but had forgotten it, it was so subtle when it happened with the 1438. I'll probably use the 610 every day for the next month or so to get it broken in. I badly want another quality boar in my shave rotation. It did show me enough potential this morning to want me to get it to the point that the promise of what it can be meets my expectations of what it will be a short time from now.
No,Im not connected to vintage scent,however I have a good friendship with Leon,the owner.Im one of the lucky ones who test Semogue brush prototypes,thats all.

Im using a 610 right now too (not today) and Im liking it a lot,to be honest.Makes lather from every soap that I have tested it so far really easily,while keeping the softness of the tips and a firm backbone.I have to use the 820 that I received alongside the 610.

Yes,Im a Semogue boar brush fanatic since I discovered them almost 3 and a half years now,I cant deny that.However I would like Semogue to make more badger brushes and with knots under 23mm.