Question:

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Vulfix Old Original

Question:

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

If I asked you to name the primary functions of your shaving brush, what would they be?

As a manufacturer we want to produce a shaving tool that, ...

(a) Stimulates hair, lifts beard & exfoliates. :wink:
(b) Produces lather (although the soap or cream is the driving force here).
(c) Is ergonomic.
(d) Is aesthetically pleasing.

Probably in that order.

Interested in your comments, particularly regarding point (a).
Last edited by Vulfix Old Original on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
druphus

Post by druphus »

For me personally, exfoliation is not a brush function. The razor does that job!
Regards,
Andy
Gene

Post by Gene »

druphus wrote:For me personally, exfoliation is not a brush function. The razor does that job!
That was my first thought, too.

I also think a bad brush won't produce lather very well, no matter how good the soap or cream is.

Items C and D are pretty subjective...YMMV and all that. Some of the brushes foks around here really like probably produce great lather, but don't really appeal to my eye, or look like they would be uncomfortable to hold.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Vulfix Old Original

I would argue (not too strongly mind) that the brush is designed to lift the bristle & exfoliate as a result.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Me personally, I would ditch "a" and move the three up in their current order. I hear "exfoliate" and can only remember cheap scratchy brushes that
caused my face great displeasure.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
paddy

Post by paddy »

For me personally, exfoliation is not a brush function. The razor does that job!
+1
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

I agree with the OP. There are a subset of shavers who want and enjoy the scrub and "exfoliation" of a shave brush. Lifting beard hairs and trapping them in the lather helps make a better cut, and allows the "no pressure" mantra to be in full effect.

Just my $.02.
Jason

Post by paddy »

some people might enjoy the scrubbing effect of the brush, granted.

but to say that physically this then somehow affects the position of the individual hairs in the lather and has them all 'standing to attention' (for want of a better phrase) rather than lying flat (i never have this problem with stubble, it tends to grow up and out from my face) and therefore allowing for a cleaner/easier/lighter cut in some way.......well, let's just say i don't buy it.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
werdna

Post by werdna »

(a) Produces lather
(b) Is ergonomic.
(c) Is aesthetically pleasing.
(d) Exfoliates.

For me (b) has been moving up in the list.

The only complaint with my Chubby 1 is that every so often the soap/water mixture gets on the handle and I have a tough time setting it down without dropping it. I may be the only clutz in the group.
I can't tell you how freaked out I was when I dropped my CH1 onto the tile floor.

(d) may be important and I'm glad the manufacturers pay attention to it but as a consumer I can't say that I've ever pondered if a different brush would exfoliate better.

-Andrew
druphus

Post by druphus »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:I would argue (not too strongly mind) that the brush is designed to lift the bristle & exfoliate as a result.
That's also the AOS marketing line, but I think its false and tends to lead to "face mashing" which is a hugh contributing factor to "brush abuse". :cry:

If I have a day-or-three worth of beard growth, I can "lift" my wiskers by rubbing hot water on my face with my hands.
Regards,
Andy
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

b/
c/
d/
a/
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

exfoliation: the removal of the oldest dead skin cells that cling to the skin's outermost surface (epidermis)

I personally do not see this as a function of the brush. If you look at scrubs & washes that do have this as their primary function, then you'll notice that the product contains some abrasive with which it is physically trying to remove skins cells. I personally wouldn't want an abrasive quality to any brush that I rub on my face.

I think what is more preferred is the massaging motion which will mechanically stimulate blood circulation to the area as well as help the hairs stand up better with the lather all around the follicle. If I was doing a 1-pass shave then I could imagine using a more exfoliating brush. But to relather with a brush designed to exfoliate after already performing a pass or two with a sharp blade going across my face doesn't sound very appealing.

I agree that shaving in itself is more than enough exfoliation. The brush should comfortably and effectively be able to get the lather all the way around the hair follicle to assist in keeping the hair upright in preparation for being shaved off. The amount of softness versus scritch will be a completely subjective issue and thus a personal preference which is why we are offered multiple grades of hair.

With all that being said here is where I'd rate the OP's suggested characteristics:
1. Ergonomic - if it isn't comfortable to hold then I won't be reaching for it much
2. Produces lather - my thought here is related more to flow through as I agree the soap/cream is the driving force for producing lather. I just don't want the brush to hog that lather and require me to squeeze the knot for my last pass. Obviously loading more soap/cream can fix that too.
3. Aesthetically pleasing - another subjective issue which is why I like seeing so many different handles available
4. Exfoliates - this characteristic I would honestly remove and replace with a massage concept.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Vulfix Old Original

Good honest debate ... Loving your comments so far.
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

B
D
C
A

Makes great lather is THE purpose of a brush.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The main purpose of the shaving brush is:

B/ To produce shaving lather.

Everything else is somewhat secondary.
Good shaving,

Gary
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

For me the order is:

a) produces quality lather
b) ergonomic
c) massages/lifts hair
d) aesthetically pleasing
e) exfoliates (remove dead skin) (far in the distance)
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

b/
c/
d/
a/

If a/ was a more generic 'face feel' or application or something along those lines, I may have moved it up; I want soft tips on a brush (and my only two are the softest tipped of dozens tried).
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Distributes the lather most effectively on the skin in between the whiskers.
This is the most important function of the shaving brush imo, given the fact that they all produce lather (i'm talking about a badger brush, right...?)

Is both aesthetically ànd ergonomically perfectly balanced. These two should merge 100% in the "ideal" shaving brush.

I also do not believe that a brush actually can exfoliate or lift the whiskers, unless the lift is considered as being the result of the swelling of the whiskers following the hydration....
Peter
greyhawk

Re: Question:

Post by greyhawk »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:If I asked you to name the primary functions of your shaving brush, what would they be?

As a manufacturer we want to produce a shaving tool that, ...

(a) Exfoliates.
(b) Produces lather (although the soap or cream is the driving force here).
(c) Is ergonomic.
(d) Is aesthetically pleasing.

Probably in that order.

Interested in your comments, particularly regarding point (a).
Exfoliation is a non-starter for me; it just doesn't really matter. Producing lather is a combo of the interaction of brush and soap/cream, which is (of course) the reason we're using the brush, so it's most important :)
I'd give a slight edge to the ergonomic factor over being aesthetically pleasing, although the latter is important.

So,
1. Lathering utility
2. Ergonomics
3. Aesthetically appealling
10. Exfoliation
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

a), Produces a quality lather.

b), Soft feel while lathering, the softer the better with a bit of backbone
to the hair.

c), Aesthetically pleasing.

d), Here I'm going to be the oddball and place this fourth,
retains heat in the hair/knot, some hair I assume is to thick and does not hold onto the warm water well, some like the LE Rover and the GYLE brush
seem to retain heat for the second pass with out the help of a scuttle. As I do not use a scuttle it is a nice surprise when you get a knot that performs like this, I feel it has to do with the thickness of the hair in the knot.

As far as exfoliating goes, I have product in my shower that handle that task, I dont want a brush to feel it needs to tackle that job.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."