Other Brands of Scrubby Brushes Besides Simpson?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Rockford

Other Brands of Scrubby Brushes Besides Simpson?

Post by Rockford »

I have Simpson brushes including a Chubby 2, Colonel X2L, and the Wee Scott, and am very happy with these. The Chubby is a recent purchase, and have only used it about 4 times. Wow that thing can make some lather! I was wondering what other makes are similar to Simpson as far as being very densely packed, Scrubby, and great with hard soaps.
Teiste

Re: Other Brands of Scrubby Brushes Besides Simpson?

Post by Teiste »

Rockford wrote:I have Simpson brushes including a Chubby 2, Colonel X2L, and the Wee Scott, and am very happy with these. The Chubby is a recent purchase, and have only used it about 4 times. Wow that thing can make some lather! I was wondering what other makes are similar to Simpson as far as being very densely packed, Scrubby, and great with hard soaps.
Shavemac D01 silvertip or D01 two band.The D01 silvertip its not as scrubby as the D01 two band.
The Vie Long two bands are kind of scrubby too,but not unpleasant at all.
And you always can try a Omega or Semogue boar brush.
Rockford

Re: Other Brands of Scrubby Brushes Besides Simpson?

Post by Rockford »

Teiste wrote:
Rockford wrote:I have Simpson brushes including a Chubby 2, Colonel X2L, and the Wee Scott, and am very happy with these. The Chubby is a recent purchase, and have only used it about 4 times. Wow that thing can make some lather! I was wondering what other makes are similar to Simpson as far as being very densely packed, Scrubby, and great with hard soaps.
Shavemac D01 silvertip or D01 two band.The D01 silvertip its not as scrubby as the D01 two band.
The Vie Long two bands are kind of scrubby too,but not unpleasant at all.
And you always can try a Omega or Semogue boar brush.
Thank you Teiste! There may be a Shavemac in my Future. I already have an Omega boar and enjoy the brush. I really like the backbone and scrubbiness, as it had really help eliminate ingrown hairs on my neck. BTW, I have seen some of your videos and truly appreciate how they have improved my skills and my shave!

Cheers
"That'll be $200 a day plus shaving expenses."
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

For an extremely dense knot, consider a Rooney Herutage such as an Emillion or something custom made by Morris & Forndran as well.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

I have Simpsons brushes in Best and Super 2-Band, Thater in both 2-Band and Silver Tip, but the scrubbiest brush I have so far is the Semogue 2011 LE Badger size 1,,,, is great!
--------------------------
-Moe
drumana

Post by drumana »

+1 for the Rooney Heritage line. Great brushes overall, with dense scrubby knots.
-Andrew-
95%

Post by 95% »

+2 for the Rooney Heritage line. My Stubby 3 must have tens of thousands of hairs packed into that knot. It lathers up a storm, but it's so dense that a good part of the soap is caught up in the brush and has to be squeezed out by hand. Construction is superb. For scrubbiness, I doubt that anything better exists.
Porter
slackskin

stiff brush

Post by slackskin »

I have read that Rooney is about the stiffest/densest on the market, but have not been willing to spend the bucks to get one.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Boar tend to be much more "scrubby" than badger - anything from Semogue or Omega would provide scrubbiness to the lather application process for sure.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

The Rooney Finest, though no longer made, is true to its name.
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

OtherMoe wrote:I have Simpsons brushes in Best and Super 2-Band, Thater in both 2-Band and Silver Tip, but the scrubbiest brush I have so far is the Semogue 2011 LE Badger size 1,,,, is great!
I'll second the Semogue LE badgers. I have both sizes and they are fantastic. Scritchy and scrubby, but not too much so. A few people have said they are the closest thing to Rooney Finest since...Rooney Finest. :)
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Plisson.

Vive la République, vive la France!

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Some of the lower-end Vullfix are also quite "scrubby".
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

About 10 or 12 years ago I bought a
Burma Shave Brush and a puck of
William's Mug Soap.

I happily used these until November
of 2005 when I discovered that
other brushes and soaps actually
existed!! Imagine that!!

Well I haven't been the same since.
I immediately ordered a Vulfix 374
Super Badger and a tub of TOB
Lavander cream. Of course this
was followed by GFT soaps and creams
and.....well I'm sure most of you know
and understand where I'm going.

Well since that day the Burma Shave has
pretty much led a sad and neglected existence.

Well after reading this thread I decided that
I'm going to give it another try. It seems to be
well built and it's definitely scratchy. So I suppose
I now have a brush rotation.

I may even order another brush in the near future.
What will it be??.......

Terry

[/list]
xraygun

Post by xraygun »

I certainly wouldn't describe my Plisson as scrubby.

One of Lee's M&F Blondes would be a great choice.

You want scrubby? Have Juan set a Natural Brown (extra) Horse with a lower loft for you. He really packs them for custom orders, and they take maybe a day extra to be delivered
-Ray
“Who said anything about slicing you up? ... I just wanted to carve a little Z on your forehead-- nothing serious.” -Oscar Zeta Acosta
ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

jww wrote:Boar tend to be much more "scrubby" than badger - anything from Semogue or Omega would provide scrubbiness to the lather application process for sure.
+1 for the boar. I have a couple of boar Semogues in my rotation that do a fantastic job with a scrubby feel. Another of my brushes is a Rudy Vey in finest that provides a good deal of backbone and scrubby.
Fido

Post by Fido »

I know this is an old thread, but I would be really interested to know what we think we mean when we describe a brush as "scrubby"

Here's a definition from an urban dictionary:

scrub·by (skrb)
adj. scrub·bi·er, scrub·bi·est
1. Covered with or consisting of scrub or underbrush.
2. Straggly or stunted.
3. Paltry or shabby; wretched.

I don't think any of these is what we have in mind!
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Fido, Urban Dictionary is a bit different to the OED :D

From Dictionary.com

scrub1    [skruhb] Show IPA verb, scrubbed, scrub·bing, noun
verb (used with object)
to rub hard with a brush, cloth, etc., or against a rough surface in washing.
to subject to friction; rub.
to remove (dirt, grime, etc.) from something by hard rubbing while washing.
Chemistry . to remove (impurities or undesirable components) from a gas by chemical means, as sulfur dioxide from smokestack gas or carbon dioxide from exhaled air in life-support packs.
to cancel or postpone (a space flight or part of a mission): Ground control scrubbed the spacewalk.

Most of us are likely thinking '2'. For me, cancelled spacewalks.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fido to me the term scrubby refers to the tensile strength of the hair/bristle, softness or stiffness of the tips and density of the knot.

All these factors come into play but in most posts I've read on the subject I get the impression the poster is referring to the softness or stiffness of the tips.
Regards,
Squire
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Never have quite figured out "scrubby", but agree with the Squire's definition. As to personal experience, I have a Berkeley in best, a Colonel in best, and a Grosvenour LE in two-band. While I think the LE is the softest (without a loss in back-bone), didn't consider the Berkeley nor the Colonel to be scrubby. Should I?