boar collection

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gil3591

boar collection

Post by gil3591 »

i rec'd an omega big boar brush today to replace one i had given to a friend. i lathered it up in my hand ,as one of many hand lathers to come to break it in, and i realized i had forgotten how nice these brushes are. they feel superb against the face, almost perfect backbone. then i realized this new boar is not as dense as my old big boar omega. the other was a different model. this one will be nice i'm sure, but still not the same. i think the specs are one or two mm's different even though they are big omegas. then it dawned on me,,,,,why not have a boar brush collection? they are cheap compared to a badger. there are quite a lot of different models and types. i would not be contributing to the devistation of a wild animal, namely the badger.

i think i will do this! one boar brush a month wouldn't put a dent in my budget at all.

anyone have a boar collection? i'm sure there are a few of you. share some pics?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brucered

Post by brucered »

here is my current collection...pic taken the other night:

LE1, LE2, 1305, Handmade Soap Bristle, TGN Boar, TGN Finest Badger, Case, Wee Scot, Thater (coming soon)

Elephants never forget!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

the 5th brush from the left,,,is that an anchorset handle? i have one with a 2 band tgn knot. i think it's one of the best handle designs i've come across
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brucered

Post by brucered »

gil3591 wrote:the 5th brush from the left,,,is that an anchorset handle? i have one with a 2 band tgn knot. i think it's one of the best handle designs i've come across
not sure, it was an ebay pickup for about $10. my 1st restore project.
Elephants never forget!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I wouldn't call it a collection, but I suppose others might.

I have a $.50 no name Chinese boar that is a suprisingly good latherer, a Semogue 1438 and a Semogue 610. They're all different in their feel and action, but all work great. Dang! I have another 4 badgers, that means I always use the same brush on the same day of the week (I use them in order). I'll just need to get another brush so that the brushes rotate over the days of the week.

_______$.50 Chinese Boar,____________Semogue 1438 (75% tips),___________Semogue 610 (90% tips)

Edit: added the picture.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

This is my boar collection... :lol:

Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Araner

Post by Araner »

Boars, I’ve known a few…

The End

Mike
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I just have to ask Mike... Is the whiskey for after the shave or before?

Before shaving with a blade, shaving would almost drive me to drink also, but not now.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Araner

Post by Araner »

Brian, that whisky picture is a few years old. That was during a very hot humid summer when I would shave in the evening and then sip whisky and coke on the patio afterwards. A lot has changed since then; more specifically, no more coke and a better quality of whisky.

Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no more coke and a better quality of whisky.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive

ps cat pic is nice too[/quote]
de gustibus non est disputandum
celestino

Post by celestino »

Here is my humble Semogue Boar collection, plus the Omega Midget. :D
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

That Omega midget is HOT!

I have my first Omega on order. I needed another brush (I have 7 currently) so that I don't use the same brush on the same day of the week. That additional boar will make 4 boars and 4 badgers. If I ever get another brush it would be a horsehair, but I don't expect that to happen.

When I get old and feeble I might get rid of a brush so that I can tell the day of the week by what brush I'm using but I hope that time is at least a few years away.
Brian

LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

If I had my time again and I'd buy an Omega boar and a Semogue and be done with brushes completely. I've spent many 100's on badger brushes; they provide a bit more pleasure (but not much), and the lather is the same. The affordable, 'does what it says on the tin' thing appeals to me more and more.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

It seems the cat only approves of badger.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I want to play.

Omega 10005

Omega Pro 49

Semogue 820

Semogue 1305

Semogue 1438

Semogue 1460

Semogue SOC Ash
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

Had both. Prefer boar. I'm taking the advice of other member/brothers and limiting money spent on brushes. I'm stopping at a dozen (bakers).
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I put an order in at Italianbarber and they had Omega boars price reduced. Well, since I was paying for shipping anyway I decided to bust a cap on an Omega 10019 boar. Just a half a dozen lathers on it so far (1 lather where it counts), but for $8 it seems like it'll work out just fine.

So how can Omega make a boar for so much less than the competition? It's my first Omega boar and that's why I got it, basically. OK, so a brush is about the bristles right? They don't appear to give anything up there, frankly the brush (bristles) feels great. I believe the price reduction is due to the molded handle parts. Clearly the handle isn't one piece. Molded parts are significantly less expensive since, in this case, the handle can be hollow and the plastic parts can be whatever. I don't intend dropping it on to the floor to see how it holds up, thank you.

Ok, so to recap, good brush, hollow handle, who gives a hoot? It works fine and I don't even have it fully broken in yet. I haven't dropped a brush yet and don't intend to drop this one. But for $8, if I place another order a second spare brush can ride for free.

That makes 4 boars and 4 badgers. That's enough IMO.

No, no connection with them (Italian Barber) of any sort.

Edit: It's been not quite a week and I have at least 15 lathers on the brush and the bristles are significantly better than when it first arrived. I expected break in to take longer than that, but it isn't fully broken in. It is good enough to take it out of break in mode and to put into the normal brush rotation however. It'll still continue to get better for awhile.

For $8, that was $ well spent.

BTW, the bristles look to be the same quality as a 90% tips Semogue brush. The difference does appear to be the handle. Frankly the handle isn't worth $20 to me, not when I can buy a complete brush for $8.
Brian

vpayne

BOAR COLLECTION

Post by vpayne »

I WOULD, BUT I DON'T YET KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES.
VIC
SAID JULIET TO ROMEO, IF YOU WON'T SHAVE, GO HOMEO.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I only own one boar - a Semogue 1305. Great with creams and soaps.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?