New Simpson Colonelbrush break-in

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
dawgvet

New Simpson Colonelbrush break-in

Post by dawgvet »

Any tips on breaking in a new Simpson Colonel? Sent my original Colonel back to Simpson and they replaced it. Want to make sure I do everything right.
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

I usually lather a new badger brush a couple of times before use to get rid of the dead animal stench. Probably best to let it dry between lathers.

Or you could just use it as is. Badger brushes are pretty low maintenance and don't really need breaking in much, if at all.

Enjoy.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
paddy

Post by paddy »

just use it. simple.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Gene

Post by Gene »

paddy wrote:just use it. simple.
This sums up my use of my new Colonel. I did one test lather, then massaged that lather in a bit; beyond that I just used it. It is now my mainstay brush...if I am not traveling it's what I always use. Great brush!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Out of every brush we've ever produced, the Colonel is purely & simply the best in terms of value for money & all round performance.

Perfect for face lathering, ideal for bowl lathering and it will even cut through soaps.

The shape is a classic also - Kudos to Mr. Alexander Simpson for that.
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

Thanks for all the replies, especially from the Vulfix factory. Really nice to see industry folks listening to their customers! I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the great customer service from Simpson's with my previous Colonel. I didn't think I had done anything to harm the brush but I am still learning so who knows. The folks at Simpson's replaced it promptly. That is the main reason I want to take the best care with this one as I would be ashamed to damage one received at their courtesy.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I've never had to break in any of my Simpsons. They've all been "turn-key" ready. And I have to say that I too treasure the Colonel, although my slight preference is for the Ehsan variation.
_______
John
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

How many of us have smelled a badger; alive or deceased?
Badger smells like- a badger no less than Connelly leather
and a host of other premium animal products.
I've read past posts where X sells a freshly cleaned razor/brush to Y
and Y puts it through a second tortuous recleaning regimen ( and then buys a fastfood chicken sandwich guilty of the last salmonella outbreak)
The supreme irony is some fellas then splash dead male deer sex gland scent. :lol:
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

churchilllafemme wrote:I've never had to break in any of my Simpsons. They've all been "turn-key" ready. And I have to say that I too treasure the Colonel, although my slight preference is for the Ehsan variation.
+1. No scent to get rid of in my experience, just one false lather to get rid of whatever, and get to it.

If there is a break in period with a badger, it's so subtle that I never noticed it. Some say there is, but it happens in days.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The Colonel is also my favorite brush. I found one thing that improves longevity of the bristles on my badger brushes. I don't swirl them in the tub, just use a back and forth action to build the density of lather. If I recall that was the instruction that came with one of my Simpsons. I found a few broken hairs when I didn't do this.
Ouchmychin (Pete)