A real ivory Kent brush.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fido, those Kents are beautiful artifacts. You're a lucky guy to have them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Fido

Post by Fido »

Cheers. I'm particularly pleased I decided to use the ivory brush. I use it regularly now and it is a sheer delight. It seems to create lather more effectively than just about every other brush I've tried. Must figure out why!
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

That Ivory is really nice - especially bloomed. I have two ivory handled brushes - both re-knotted. I use them regularly - they are excellent. Heavy, solid and commanding. I have considered using the Rooney exclusively but I have some other brushes that I would miss, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Rick
celar36

Re: A real ivory Kent brush.

Post by celar36 »

Amazing shape of that brush handle
Jack
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Rick, the one on the left is real eye candy.....what is it?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

That's a beautiful brush. I hope you enjoy using it. An ivory handle gives a brush gravitas that synthetic materials cannot IMO. It's rare to see one in such good condition - almost no cracks and hardly any discoloration. I agree with all the caveats - plastic is a much superior material for lots of technical and other reasons but it's the intangibles that make this hobby what it is. Very nice!
Rick
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

blantyre wrote: plastic is a much superior material for lots of technical and other reasons but it's the intangibles that make this hobby what it is.
The truth has been spoken, thus endeth the lesson.
Regards,
Squire
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

fallingwickets wrote:Rick, the one on the left is real eye candy.....what is it?

clive
Left is a large (32 mm) Simpson PJ style that was reknotted by Shavemac, right is a Rooney that was reknotted with a D1 2-band by Rudy Vey. The Rooney is the nicer brush to use - it's more manageable. The PJ is a looker though. I only use them a few times a year just to keep the bristles in shape.
Rick
kingston2013

Post by kingston2013 »

Judging by the age of the brush, I think that it's a good decision not to use it. As already mentioned above, it might get damaged. I also had the unfortunate experience of using a brush made out of bone which eventually cracked. Aside from that, it's an amazing find, something unique. You will not be able to find something like that today or most probably anytime in the future, because of the material it's made from.
Read more useful tips on shaving, grooming and in-depth consumer reviews of the best razors for men.
Visit http://bestrazorformen.net/