A real ivory Kent brush.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, BBQ will do that.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Several years ago a black family from Tennessee opened a BBQ in the next town over. It was a old agriculture based community on the railroad line with a chicano barrio giving ground to yuppie condos and boutiques
in old hardware storefronts.
I told acquaintance and customer Richard Roundtree about it . He had heard rumours and we went together for lunch. I'm in heaven eating sweet potato pie on top of a midden of rib bones. Richard is saying hello to a who's who of black Hollywood names.
Local police panic and one casually drops in. He stares at Richard, probably trying to place some wanted flyer. He finally smiles and walks up, hand extended." I loved you IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT" and walked out to the nervous owner of the adjoining carniceria.
The family were relocated to L.A. proper. A overpriced sportsbar-BBQ sauce in a bottle place replaced them.
IVORY or modern? If I could get ivory like that wedge of pie I would!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Speaking as a seasoned specimen myself I believe older is better.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Squire wrote:Oh I'd use it, daily.
IBID
Mike
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'd use it carefully. It was made to be used.

Not ivory, but I have a thing for AutoStrop razors. I came upon what I thought was a particularly nice NOS (I couldn't prove that, but I believe it) 24k gold plated VC1. I decided I wasn't going to use it and then after discussing it on another forum decided that it was meant to be used. So I did. If I'm not worthy of using it, just who is? I don't use it every day, only when I want a treat. That would be once so far.

In the case of the brush, animals died in its making. Honor them by using it. If it isn't used they died for nothing.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

My apologies for the wildly sidetracked thread.

Funny how different folks in different places use the term barbeque as a noun or a verb. I'm not intelligensia on the subject, just an observer.

Also, there are evidently a few different definitions of the term BBQ or barbeque. We traveled to a state on the east coast, and in the town was some kind of regional famous restaurant. One night the marquee said "all you can eat, barbeque ribs Tuesday night". Went there, had a huge crowd. got a table, ordered, and they brought us some oven baked ribs with some kind of a vinegar ketchup liquid poured on it. NOT barbeque ribs. We felt very sorry that all of the nice villagers had no idea what they were missing.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The first time I was served a vinegar BBQ sauce in an Eastern joint I thought someone had made a mistake.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I do southern BBQ for myself and guests, not commercially. Yes, In Maine. On the Primo forum I'm BBQinMaineiac. I had a devil of a time explaining what real BBQ was to a gent I worked with. It has a few characteristics (mine exclusively):

1) It needs to be primal fire of some sort, not an electrical element or natural gas. Many folks would argue with me on this, but if it isn't primal fire to me it's faux BBQ. (my rules as I stated)

2) The heat needs to be indirect for the majority of the cook

3) wood smoke can be added but isn't mandatory- it's better with wood smoke IMO- unless it's poultry; then you just want a hint of smoke

That's about it. I finally began bringing BBQ in where I worked to show folks what it was. Typical for BBQ, it went over fantastically.

I've heard thousands of times, and there was a time when I didn't know BBQ from grilling or Faux BBQ either, "I'm going to BBQ some Steaks, or Burgers,", whatever. When what they really meant was grilling and not BBQ at all.

There was one exception to those rules of mine that I've experienced. Many years ago now I would go to attend the "Second Chance" (google it) matches in Central Lake, Michigan. Rich had the Lions (if memory serves) do all of the cooking for the week. One time in particular I remember at least 7 steers on the spits, huge spits, and they cooked all day, and the fire was direct. But the fire was small and it was a gigantic rotisserie. It was still BBQ IMO. Absolutely delicious!

:D Vinegar based sauce... sounds like the Carolinas. It's different, but so is my homemade.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's different alright and yes, it was in North Carolina
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Eastern North Carolina most likely? Well, as far as the States are concerned and historically speaking, they 'invented' BBQ sooo....I guess they have a right to do it their way. Hell, in South Carolina they use that unusual mustard based BBQ sauce, and fiercely defend it too. Myself, I'm not a BBQ fanatic but I do enjoy it occasionally and do know the real article from the faux version. To each his own and all that.
Regards.
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's right Gordon, Eastern NC, even tried that mustard sauce variant someplace, when in Rome and all that . . .

I believe BBQ gets better as you travel West and reaches it's apotheosis in Texas.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I hang around out here in the boonies, and can testify from experience that there is an area between Kansas City Missouri and Lockhart Texas where the best of what I call barbeque is always to be found. It's all good, and some's better'n others, as we say. Edit: I've never been to Tennessee, but if I ever find myself there, I know for a fact that there is some really fine barbeque there. I want some of it right now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kansas City claims their BBQ is the best and Memphis claims KC's version is a copy cat.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Squire wrote:I have already said I would use it, with care, certainly. I will also drive a vintage vehicle while carrying a vintage watch on my way to a shooting match with an antique target rifle after having shaved that morning with a 100+ year old straight razor. But that's just me.
There's just a whole lot I like about this statement!
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Fido

Post by Fido »

I've cracked. I just shouldn't have left it here by my computer:

I've been thinking. The brush was made in 1919. It got a new knot much later. So the handle must have been well used. The knot is still unused. But I have no particular wish to preserve a new "old" knot. So I've decided I may as well bring the brush into use again - this weekend perhaps. I'll post pics of the brush once it's been in action. Everyone's entitled to change their mind.
John N.

Post by John N. »

Fido wrote:I've cracked. I just shouldn't have left it here by my computer:

I've been thinking. The brush was made in 1919. It got a new knot much later. So the handle must have been well used. The knot is still unused. But I have no particular wish to preserve a new "old" knot. So I've decided I may as well bring the brush into use again - this weekend perhaps. I'll post pics of the brush once it's been in action. Everyone's entitled to change their mind.
Good call
J.
John N.
Fido

Post by Fido »

Well I finally got round to using the brush - made in 1919 but not used since re knotting in the 70s. Four shaves with it so far. Two with Palmolive soap and two with creams - Coates and Arlington. The brush has a 22mm knot with a loft of 53mm. The fan shape means the brush splays quite a lot when lathering with circular motions so I settled for mostly using swift but light to and fro painting motions, something I'm tending to do with most of my brushes. A bit floppy, but really not much as there is still a decent enough backbone. Tips are soft silvertip with no scritchiness dry or wet. The brush holds a lot of water and produced more than enough lather very effectively. The density was just right to ensure very satisfactory release of lather. All in all, a luxurious shaving experience. I'm pleased I used it and I will continue to do so from time to time.

2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

The brush looks even better with the knot bloomed. To my eye, it balances and completes the slender handle. Good for you, Fido!

Thanks for sharing this amazing brush with us.

--Glenn
ben74

Post by ben74 »

Beautiful find Fido!

I have a couple of Plisson Ivory brushes (pictured below - size 24 HMW and size 12 EW 2 band). Both are used occasionally and with great care!

I'm glad to see you're using yours!

Ben
Fido

Post by Fido »

An update.

On my 70th birthday recently, I finally decided to use the Kent V16 brush. I knew someday that someone wouldn't be able to resist it so thought it may as well be me.

So how did it perform? It's an amazing brush. Far too big and heavy for regular use. The density of the knot ensured that it was relatively easy to control both the creation of lather and it's application. I painted it on, but I managed a bit of a scrub for the first pass before smoothing over. As expected, the tips are silky smooth.
I managed my usual three passes. Squeezing out what was left was a messy business - so much lather!

Using the brush was quite a novelty and I'm glad I did. But this isn't a practical brush. It's really a display piece. And that's what it will be. Perhaps I'll leave it in my cabinet and make a point of taking it out for special days.

And here's the brush after it was used for the first time.

And a belated happy new year!