Is TGN Still the Hot Source for Knots?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
2clfrwrds

Is TGN Still the Hot Source for Knots?

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I'm getting the itch to refurbish some of the old brushes I have laying around.

In the past I've always purchased knots from Tony at The Golden Nib, but it's been several years since my last rebuild. It seems reasonable to ask, are TGN knots still as good as they used to be? Are there other vendors on the scene now that I should consider?

By the way, should a knot vendor prefer to contact me by PM rather than post on this thread, that would be fine by me.

--Glenn
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I restored several brushes last year and the TGN knots were excellent. I prefer the Finest 2-band knots offered there. I do believe the knots from Larry at the WhippedDog have gotten solid reviews as well, however, I have not personally tried one of them.
Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my experience also, TGN knots are excellent. In the unlikely event a flawed knot shows up, Tony would do everything in his power to make it right.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Thanks, Chris, I was unaware of the WhippedDog website. I was a little put out by the name at first, but when I found the site, I saw that it should probably be called SpoiledRottenDog.

It looks as though Tony has selection, while Larry has price. Maybe I'll get 2 knots from each source to see if customer experience is a tie-breaker.

--Glenn
sffone

Post by sffone »

I've dealt with both TGN and WhippedDog and found them both good to deal with. I don't think you could go wrong either way.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I just bought and installed a 20mm Finest Fan from TGN, and it's fine knot. I thought I had what to me were a lot of hairs coming out initially, but Tony indicated I should keep an eye on it to let him know. I took that to mean he'd make it right.

It was my first reknot, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The brush itself rivals the Rooney it's next too. Great value.

FWIW, the hair issue has pretty much resolved itself as the hairs have stopped coming out.

Compared to a Rooney 3/1 SS
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice work Brian!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks Gary!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Congratulations, Brian! Reknotting isn't part of this hobby I indulge in very often, but sometimes the urge just hits me, and I need to do one. Very fulfilling, and you're right, a great value.

--Glenn
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Very nice, Brian!
Makes me want to do one now. I have an old acrylic Made Rite handle that needs this done!
Regards,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
jss

Post by jss »

Very nice Brian....

Best,
Julian
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

nice,nice,nice and more nice!