I'm looking for a *big* brush.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fisherprice

I'm looking for a *big* brush.

Post by fisherprice »

'Lo,

I have been awfully quiet recently as I have attained shaving almost-Nirvana--

At home,

I alternate a Simpsons 58 and that limited edition super Grosvenor face-lathering Tabac and shave with a Futur set on 1.75 with a Swede (I use them for 7-10 shaves),

while at the gym in the steam room,

I face-lather Speick or Irisch Moos sticks with an Omega 49 and shave with an Injector (M? N? non-adjustable with a black plastic handle) loaded with a Schick Platinum? blade (changed every ten or so shaves).

I love my set-ups, but...

something in me yearns for a BIG BRUSH to use at home. I shave in the shower, so making a mess is not an issue.

Can anyone recommend a BIG knotted brush that won't break the bank?

I've had a Kent in Best that was sized nicely (T8?), but it shedded like crazy and was overly prickly-- and a Muhle Silvertip of some sort that had no backbone.

Am I destined to look for a Chubby or Tulip 3 or...?

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
Dale

Post by Dale »

Vulfix 41, Chubby 2 or 3 in Best. Have fun deciding. :)
Last edited by Dale on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dale
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

This one might fit... :mrgreen:

No seriously, the brushes mentioned by Dale fit all well. Kent BK12 is also a good candidate, like CH3 and the bigger Shavemacs too...
Peter
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

A boar brush I have a good amount of use with is the Omega 49, it's rather large and very affordable. From a badger brush point of view, the Chubby 3 is hard to beat for a larger brush that still handles well and lathers supurbly.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
giammi

Post by giammi »

desertbadger wrote:A boar brush I have a good amount of use with is the Omega 49, it's rather large and very affordable.
+1
otherwise the Vulfix 2236 is quite big, if I recall correctly.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Peter what size is that large Beehive? One might consider an XL Shavemac brush, which is 30mm knot I believe and just decadent on the face.
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Vulfix 2236 (rebranded Trumper):

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Stan
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I'll second a big Vulfix or a Shavemac/Saville Row.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Sam wrote:Peter what size is that large Beehive? One might consider an XL Shavemac brush, which is 30mm knot I believe and just decadent on the face.
Here are the specs Sam:

TH 22 cm
HH 11,3 cm
LH 10,7 cm
KD 60 mm
weight 972 gr.

Quite a behemoth if i may so.. :mrgreen:
Peter
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Thalay Sagar wrote:I'll second a big Vulfix or a Shavemac/Saville Row.
i'm with chris on this one. a chubby is too dense. you want a thater! best knot and hair i ever experienced. after that,, a big knotted savile.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Fido

Post by Fido »

The Kent BK12 is high quality, good value, large and will not break the bank. And just about practical to use.

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'd love a BK12, or 8 or both. However, both are well out of my current cost-comfort zone.

Think it has something to do with spending a ton (and I do mean a ton) of money on home renovations in the next 6-8 weeks.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell the few times I've been involved in home renovation I just signed the check and she handled the rest. Women seem to be happy with that sort of arrangement.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wendell the few times I've been involved in home renovation I just signed the check and she handled the rest. Women seem to be happy with that sort of arrangement.
Actually, my wife prefers that I do the negotiation, and we then play good cop/bad cop to whittle 'em down to what we think is reasonable.

Funny how some contractors come in at quotes that are double of others and they can't even justify it other than to say "We're better" and then they write up their estimates on pretty looking forms. Sheesh.

Seriously - we often go with Home Depot installation services simply because they are so careful about installers whom they use in their program - they have never steered us wrong to date.

Back to expensive and big brushes -- love the BK8 and 12 -- some day I may treat myself, but not until the bills on this reno have been covered.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jss

Post by jss »

Dave..No recommendations here..Just more well wishes for your search....

Best,
Julian
nelson

Very large brushes

Post by nelson »

I'm not a brush expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do own and enjoy using occasionally a Shavemac 220 with a 28 mm knot and sivertip badger hair (as defined by Shavemac). I bought that rascal back in the day when Shavemac was commisioned to design and supply the first SMF brush. It's still available from Shavemac. Once fully loaded with water and cream it can service an army. What appears to be the same brush is also available from qedusa as the Savile Row 3128. One advantage of ordering from Charles at qedusa is that you don't have to worry about the brush clearing Customs. Charles has taken care of that potential headache for you.

In general, if you want a genuinely large brush with pretty high grade badger hair at a tolerable price, I think your best bets are from Shavemac and Savile Row.

nelson
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Polo 10 ... ?

Too costly ... ?
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You're right Wendell, sometimes my point obscures my prose. I did all the business end stuff including final choice on materials and subs. What I don't do is the planning and details which didn't interest me in the first place.

Back to brushes I like the Kent BK4 which I use almost daily.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

but not until the bills on this reno have been covered.
worse than the bills is the dust!!!!

Big brushes:
flexible...bk12 (kent)

with more backbone
chubby 3

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vulfix 2236

Omega makes two big badgers, the 6213 (28 x 65) and the 6210 (26 x 65). These are usually in stock at Shoebox and Italian Barber for around $110.

If you opt for a BK12 make sure to check the price at Shaving Shack before you buy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444