Aramis Brush Refurb

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
2clfrwrds

Aramis Brush Refurb

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Awhile ago I picked up what I thought was a nice looking brush handle on The Bay. I see why nobody bid against me, because the knot was obviously in poor shape.

The brush was made for Aramis, no indication of the date: any speculation would be welcome!

After I dug the old knot out, it was obvious why it had looked so bad. Inside the handle, there was way too much cement and not enough knot. It looked like they had tried to fill a 19mm socket with a 16mm knot. No wonder it looked too thin! Here's the handle and the new knot:

The new knot is a Super Silvertip from The Golden Nib. (No, I can't justify that at all, but I sure wanted it!) A lot of loft for this handle, I thought, so I set the knot a little deeper than I usually do.

Here's the finished brush, pre-bloom.

I'll post a follow-up picture after I've used it a few times, which I'm really looking forward to. I plan to wash it out tonight, so it will be ready to use tomorrow morning.

Edit: I originally wrote the brush was "made by" Aramis, but on reflection, that's not likely. The brush was almost certainly made for Aramis.

--Glenn
Last edited by 2clfrwrds on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jss

Post by jss »

Too cool for words Glenn..Well done....

Best,
Julian
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

That super silvertip knot looks fantastic.I wanna see pics of it blooming.
Thanks for sharing,wonderful job.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

17 thumbs up

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nice looking brush and job!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

That really looks great.
_______
John
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Those brushes were available in the 1980s (I had one).

Steve
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Thank you, Steve; knowing that helps me appreciate the brush more.

By the way, this brush is now called "Wang Chung."

--Glenn
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

Great looking brush indeed.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

After a thorough washing, a test hand-lathering, and 4 face-lathering real shaves, I think it's settled into its final form:

I would have thought that a 19mm knot was pretty small, but this brush picks up and lays down a lot of soap. The bristles are very scratchy when dry - this isn't a brush I can go into the shave den and play with when it's dry - but when soaked, it's both soft and firm. This is easily the best brush I have.

I think it's important that excellent brushes are available to everyone. I can't afford $250 for a top of the line brush, but I can assemble a top of the line brush in my backyard with simple hand tools. This brush was a splurge; it cost about $40. I've assembled very nice brushes for way less. No one should feel limited by a price-point, or that they can only experience top of the line by spending a ton of money.

Can you tell? I'm very happy with this brush!

--Glenn
brothers

Post by brothers »

Glenn, nice work! I agree with the do-it-yourself philosophy. A couple of my old standby brushes are the results of similar projects over the past couple of years. One is a "finest" TGN knot set in an old MadeRite handle that's been used hundreds of times and as far as I know, never lost a hair. It's been so well used that the tips of the hairs appear to be splitting/fraying, just like we see on a well broken in boar brush. It's firm but soft. Another is a densely packed silvertip knot from TGN set in a large butterscotch Rooney handle, I call it my "big rooney". Again, a faithful shaving tool, used dependably over the past 2 or 3 years without a single problem. Being able to use a vintage shaving brush that one has successfuly refurbished is a source of another one of life's little rewards.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

That does look great. And there is something to be said for doing it yourself, too. I've done one with a TGN Super Badger in an old fuller handle. I set it in with standard epoxy and after many shaves it is holding up fine. The Super is a coarser hair and is really good for proraso and most any soaps. The super holds a lot of water and lather.

Regards,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)