Another Ever-Ready Restore

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
DavidB

Another Ever-Ready Restore

Post by DavidB »

Hello, all. Thought I'd share a pic of my latest restore, an Ever-Ready 200T outfitted with a Golden Nib synthetic 20mm knot. I had wanted to drop in an 18mm badger knot, but when this arrived from eBay, it turned out to have a boar knot set in a thick plastic collar, which was set in the brush, so after I removed the knot and the plastic collar, the opening was 24mm.

I rounded the corners, initially for variety (I saw another forum member had done this), then I rounded them even more because I got too aggressive and chewed up the corner. Still I'm happy with the result.

Will give it a test drive tomorrow.

Dave

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Looks very nice! Please do let us know how it shaves, as I a am still deciding on a knot for my Ever Ready.
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I couldn't wait and did a test lathering with Taylor soap. My first impression is that it is fairly boar-like, lots of backbone, whipping up lather pretty quickly. I had read that it is not a lather hog, that is, it doesn't hang onto the lather deep inside, and this was the case. I painted on the lather, and the tips are incredibly soft. I tried face lathering a bit, but it was pretty springy for that. I think it will be best with soaps and with a painting motion for applying the lather.

That said, I'm going to try it again tomorrow morning with creams. But so far, this is much better than the low-end synthetics I've tried. It doesn't bloom, and I assume it will not break in much.

So far, I'm pretty happy.

Dave
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I shaved with the 200T synthetic this morning, bowl lathered with T&H lavender. The synth didn't build lather as readily as my silvertip, but I eventually worked up a good amount of lather. Painted it on, and it was silky smooth. I am definitely going to have to practice lathering with the synthetic. At first I was pushing down into the cream, but when I stopped that and let the tips do all the work, that seemed to go better.

If any of you have suggestions on lathering with a synthetic, please post!

Dave
merkri

Post by merkri »

I have that same knot, and really like it.

It doesn't hold water quite as well as a natural knot, but I do think it lathers well and after you get the lather it's nice. It also cleans and dries well. It's very soft, as you mention.

I eventually learned that I like to face lather with that knot, as it eliminates the issue of holding the water to some extent. I never noticed the springiness you mention, but I can see what you're saying in that regard.

The trick I think is getting the amount of water right--I've found over time that with that knot I need at lot less than I think I do. I used to be hesitant about flicking off so much water but over time realized it wasn't really necessary. I think natural knots absorb more moisture, which means they hold water better, but also hold on to more of everything, rather than transferring it to the bowl or your face, if that makes sense.

Sometimes if I'm using soap I let a little drip into the bowl, use it for the lathering in that way.

I do think there's more of a painting motion with the initial application if I'm not face lathering. However, I think I do more of a painting motion if the lather's too wet. It kind of depends on the soap, too--some soaps are much less of an issue in that regard. If you're lathering in the bowl, it might help to try to dab up gobs of lather rather than get it all in one swoop.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Dave, nice job, as always. The rounded corners are very attractive. These handles are pretty light, and with the quick-drying synthetic knot, this could be an excellent travel brush - maybe my next project.

--Glenn
Raag

Post by Raag »

Mmm, beautiful handle - very contemporary but not overly modern. Love your work.
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/
Australian stockist of guys' shaving and grooming gear.
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a very nice brush refurb Dave. I've been interested in learning how the synthetic badgers are working out. Thanks for posting!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444