Received my SR-230

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
tequilero79

Received my SR-230

Post by tequilero79 »

Gentlemen,

I received my SR-230 yesterday. I gotta tell you, I'm a little unimpressed. However, I might be doing something wrong. I could not get this thing to lather. I used the same amount of cream that I normally use with my Tweezerman brush, and the cream just kind of disappeared. No matter how much I whipped the brush around in the oversized latte mug, I could not get it to lather. I then dunked the Tweezerman into the hot water, squeezed out the dime size dollop of cream into the latte mug and went at it. Within seconds I got the meringue like lather that I usually get. When I started whipping the SR-230 in my mug I noticed that it did not fit as well because the hairs spread out much further than the Tweezerman. Perhaps it needs more room to be able to whip up the lather. I will try with one of my cereal bowls and see if it make much of a difference. I will also try adding more cream, perhaps the amount of cream I added in there in not sufficient with the extra amount of water this brush holds.

Is there usually a breaking in time for these brushes? I didn’t exactly experience the no lather problem with my Tweezerman brush at the beginning, but it was definitely a lot better after a moth or so. I’m wondering if this brush just needs to be broken in.
Also, as I had it soaking in the hot water, I noticed the water turning slightly brown. Is this normal? I did it several times and turned the water brown every time.

Next Morning (today):

I tried the brush again this morning with better results. This time I used my hot pot to heat the water up to boiling point. I used one of my cereal bowls from the kitchen to give the brush enough room to work. I let the brush sit in hot water for about three minutes. Took it out and let the water run out of it. Once it stopped dripping I gave it a gentle shake, I was afraid of having to much water. I squeezed out three times as much cream as I normally do into the bowl, and started to whip it up. Within about 30 seconds I started to get a very nice thick lather. I then applied it to my face. I tried applying the lather on my face in the same circular motion as I normally use and ended up with lather up my nose and in my eyes. The hairs on this a much softer than my Tweezerman and spread out much further. Now I understand why it’s recommended applying lather on your face in the same manner as painting. That went much better. The lather was a little too thick. I probably shouldn’t have taken the extra water out of it, but I’m still trying to get a feel for it. I also noticed that most of the lather created was in the brush it self, and not on the bowl. At the end of the shave, I still had plenty of lather for at least five more passed. However, the lather that was left in the bowl, was starting to get a slight brown hue to it.

Overall, I’m still sticking to it. I think I just have to get used to the dynamics of the new brush. I have to play around with it to be able to get the right water/ cream ratio so that I can create the desired lather.

Respectfully,

Schubert
tequilero79

Post by tequilero79 »

Thanks Joel.

I'll have to keep playing with it to get it right. Is there anything that I should do to break it in? or should I just keep usign it and let it break in on it's own? Is the water turning brown part of the breaking in process too?

Respectfully,

Schubert
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Schubert--

Welcome to the world of decent brushes :wink: . I too went from a Tweezerman to a super badger from Savile Row, and had much the same experience for the first couple of shaves. It just takes a little getting used to, as the new brush retains so much more water. If you try your Tweezerman again in a few months you'll think "ewwwwww...I shaved with this?" 8)

When I first got my Savile Row, I filled the sink with hot water, stirred in a couple teaspoons of borax (the "20 mule team" stuff) and let it sit for an hour; it'll clean the brush from any residual manufacturing processes, soften the hairs somewhat, and help get rid of the "wet dog" smell you sometimes get.

--Mark
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

When I received my 230 I went right at it. For me the only thing I had to learn with the new brush was how much water to use. In fact I think I use less cream now because the brush is able to hold much more water. You'd be suprised how much water you can use to make the lather. I only shake it out twice. Not a violent shake, just a little wiggle.

You are correct about the lather in the brush. Most of the lather stays in the brush for me also. You can see by my pics how much lather was in the brush.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358

Good luck and keep working at it. By next week you are going to be loving it.

KEEP IT WET!

Johnnie
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
tequilero79

Post by tequilero79 »

Mark, thanks for the encouraging words, I will try to stop by the grocery store and pick up some borax tonight. I did try putting some conditioner on it as this semmed to help my previous low grade brushes.

Johnnie, it was presicely those picture that helped me make up my mind to purchase this brush. Was this your fist brush? or was it also an upgrade for you?

Respectfully,

Schubert
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

It was my first quality brush. My first brush was the one in the pictures. A Col. Conk for $25. I look at that lil col conk and laugh now. I couldnt imagine going back to it. I LOVE the 230.

Im sure you will come to love it.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

So how's it going now?
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

I received my SR-230 earlier this week. I had never used a brush before, and read a lot of posts on a variety of discussion boards before finally deciding to make a purchase. I thought about buying something inexpensive just to see if I liked a brush and then upgrade later. However, I finally decided to take the plunge and try to find a decent brush right away. I decided to purchase the SR-230 From Charles at QED. It seemed to provide the best combination of quality at a decent price that I could find.

I am happy to say that using the brush has been quite pleasurable. Though I am still learning, I find that the brush provides a nice, full lather. Most of all, I love being able to grab the brush, apply a bit more lather and then take a second pass at those areas that are difficult to shave.

I think that I am hooked on using a shaving brush. So far, I have only tried a few shave creams (T & H Almond and Taylor's Eton College). I look forward to becoming more familiar with my brush and further exploring the world of high quality shave cream

Thanks for all of your posts - they helped me decide to take the plunge!
tequilero79

Post by tequilero79 »

Hi guys, just an update. I’m getting much better results now with my brush. Now I can whip up really good lather in my bowl with out using as much cream. However, after the first pass, when I try to revive my lather, it seems to king of get soaked up by the brush. I also have to get used to just painting the lather on my face. I used to be able to swirl my old brush on my face to get much more lather out of it, but with this brush it seems to just take the lather with it when I try doing that. I’m sure it just needs to be broken in though. This morning I tried the soap and cream combo and I got a massive amount of lather. Even after I was done shaving I squeezed what remained in the brush and I was able to fill up half of my cereal bowl with it. That would’ve been enough for at least 10 passes. I’ll have to definitely keep doing this, hopefully it will help break in my brush.

Respectfully,

Schubert
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Yeah, recharging with hot lather does the trick for me too, particularly if you are using a hot pot...
Sage

Post by Sage »

I got my SR230 about the same time as you, and had similar results. After a few times though, I realized that a lighter touch seems to work better with it when lathering. With my old cheapo brush, I had to manhandle it to get a lather going. With the SR230, it seems like a lighter touch when swirling keeps the brush in better form, and lathers better.

I also did what you mentioned, lathered up my face, and then squeezed out a bunch of lather into my hand, and used it to apply more. The brush itself holds a ton of lather.

I definitely like this brush better than my old one, just takes some adjusting I guess.

Andy