M&F Stubby 1 Rooney Finest

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
churchilllafemme

M&F Stubby 1 Rooney Finest

Post by churchilllafemme »

This is a Morris & Forndran branded Stubby 1 I got from Classic Shaving after hearing about them and learning that Lee Sabini had verified that they really do have the original Rooney Finest hair rather than the standard M&F blonde hair.
ImageImage

This is the smallest of the Stubbies. The handle is slightly chunkier than a Somerset Chubby 1 (right in the image), with a 37mm height and 38mm diameter base (compared to 41mm and 33 mm). It feels hefty and solid in the hand and was fine for my medium hand, although it might be too fat for someone with small hands.

I broke it in slightly with two palm lathers of shaving cream and then used it this morning on my face with TOBS Lavender shaving cream. The brush made full thick lather very easily and released it well for all three passes, although it did hold on to quite a bit of the lather and required a lot of rinsing after the shave. Its backbone is quite stiff, very similar to the Somerset Simpson Chubby 2-band, but the hair tips are extremely soft and gel-like, very much like a vintage Plisson HMW. There was no scritchiness whatever. The individual hairs are not quite as thick as those of the 2-band, but the brush is packed a little more tightly. Its knot and loft are 25mm/48mm, compared to 24mm/48mm for the Chubby. The brush lost no hairs at all. Here it is after blooming beautifully.
ImageImage

And here it is next to the Chubby. The M&F bloomed more fully because of its thinner hairs.
ImageImage

Overall I think it is a great brush, the qualities and performance of its hair easily equal to those of my other Finests. Although I do like the handle, it doesn't feel quite as comfortable to me as the Rooney 1/1 and 3/1 brushes.
_______
John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I can confirm your impressions John. I have the same brush from CS and the hair is identical to finest.

Peter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Peter (and to whom else knows): I have the smaller beehive, blond badger M&F brush and this is my favorite. Love the Stubby/Chubby handle. I would want the hair in a Stubby/Chubby similar or same as what is in the M&F, and same knot size, but I would not mind a more dense brush.

Which brush, the Simpsons or this Rooney, would be like what I have. Face feel, I love what I have but I would love another handle just to change up. I love my Shavemac XL but it with the bigger loft does not seem to be as nice a feel on the face as the MF brush and I want a second brush to change into sometimes. I think I am swinging back to the 234-24 mm brushes instead of larger and the 19-21 never did it for me.
churchilllafemme

Sam, I believe - and someone correct me if I'm wrong - that Lee will make you a brush with just about any handle shape and M&F blonde knot size that you want. So theoretically you could specifiy a Chubby 1 or 2 handle and tell him the knot you want, and he'll make that brush for you.
_______
John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Sam,

John is right. Lee will make the brush to your requirements.
Although he's not really responsive and most of the time out of reach lately.... :(
Peter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i would want a chubby 3 equivalent....how much would that cost roughly, or is it if you have to ask you.........

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

fallingwickets wrote:i would want a chubby 3 equivalent....how much would that cost roughly, or is it if you have to ask you.........

clive
I really don't know. It's been a long time since I've ordered an M&F brush. My rough guess would be $150-165. Perhaps Peter knows more about pricing.
_______
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Oh, that isnt bad at all and if it doesnt malt its almost like getting it for free LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum