Badger vs. Boar

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Pete, if you look at my photo of my newest boar brush you can clearly see the split hair. If you look closely at other hair tips (it's more difficult) you can see other hairs that are split and even split into triple ends. It's no fable.

OK, question... do you use the base of bristles to lather with, or the top 1/3rd, and only flex the base of the bristles. If you mash the brush against your skin, I'd expect exactly what you describe. I'm not picking on you, but just check YouTube, lots of folks do that. I constantly fight the temptation to do it, and I suspect more of us do it than not.

I think Gary definitely proved, with his accelerated break in procedure, that break in is not only the wetting and drying of the bristles, but the working of the ends.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Brian,
I can see yours OK. I may have a couple like that, but mostly when I look close at mine I find that what I thought was a spit hair turns out to be 2 hairs close together. I'l just keep trying.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, Pete...carry on then. But, it may turn out that your experiance with the boar brushes simply mirrors mine. Personally, I'm done.
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I find that mixing a cream such as Vulfix Lavender with a base soap such as Williams creates a super lather which allows my boar brushes to shine. :)
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I have only that big omega 48 boar brush and it has its hairs splitted some and it is a gentle brush. It cannot contain lather like a badger brush, so as a face latherer it is not for me.

With a badger brush I need no reloading of the brush between the passes (if I don't rinse my face) but with the Omega boar brush I do need to go back to my soap puck.
Jarmo
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

I have been using a boar brush lately after years of using my Rooney. I was surprised to see how soft a supposedly scratchy brush is. I have been using an Omega 10290, and I have a Semogue 830 on the way. I get great results with the Omega, especially in terms of a rich lather and a closer shave, but the plastic handle is a turn off, and I want a slightly bigger brush for a boar. The Rooney my get put up for sale soon.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Jarmo, a big brush requires more loading at the front end of the shave. Trust me, it'll hold plenty of lather. My smaller boars hold PLENTY of lather for at least 3 passes and I only use 2.

DP, I like both badgers and boars, I'd hate to see you remove valued brushes from the rotation. Enjoy them all. But yes, I think boars get the "scratchy" reputation from feeling them when dry. The problem is, they are never used when dry. I use an incredibly inexpensive boar from a salvage outlet that is among my most valued brushes. OK, it cost me $.50 and it's nothing to look at, but it face lathers incredibly well. I was actually amazed at how nicely it performs (that's why I still use it- I have much more expensive brushes). I sold 120 of them at cost. I should have held onto at least 20 more of them. One of my early shaving history regrets.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yep, every single one of my boars is "softer" than my custom Shavemac DO1 three band was. For one of the "Premium Silvertips" it was scrithy/scratchy to an unbearable degree and I had to sell it.