Vulfix or Kent

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a GFT branded Vulfix 2236 Super which is excellent.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

That was it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T12

coming from a floris, the t12 was the biggest most luxurious brush evahhhh; a direct link to shaving heaven hahahahahahaahahahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
harper

Post by harper »

My BK4 arrived and I have now used it 5 times. My reaction is that it is a terrific brush -- as so many have said -- but it is not quite as soft to my skin as my Vulfix. It creates lather as well as the Vulfix and seems to have more "body" in placing the lather on my face. However, I am yet to find the right amount of water and cream mixture for lather the way I like it but it has always taken me some time with every brush I have owned to get it right. On the other hand, I find it is about 5-10% stiffer than my Vulfix and and in some ways I find it a bit closer in "feel" and density (although softer) to a Shavemac than a Vulfix ... and I think Shavemacs are splendid brushes. I am happy with it and glad I bought it so Gordon does not have to be concerned about buying it. Also, I am 82 so I know it will outlast me.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I hope I have the same verve as you when I reach 82.

The BK4 is deceptively dense, and that might be what's throwing you off with the learning curve finding the right mix. Its bristles are thinner than usual, which makes it soft, but they're packed dense enough to give it some backbone and hold more water and lather.

Dave
nelson

Post by nelson »

Dave T wrote:I hope I have the same verve as you when I reach 82.

The BK4 is deceptively dense, and that might be what's throwing you off with the learning curve finding the right mix. Its bristles are thinner than usual, which makes it soft, but they're packed dense enough to give it some backbone and hold more water and lather.

Dave
I agree with your perception of the BK4's density. In fact, it's a surprising brush in a number of respects. It shaves "bigger" than it actually is. The handle is far more comfortable than it looks. I've had one since 2007 and is one of my favorites. I also use a Vulfix 2235, which I still like quite a bit. I bought it from Classic Shaving in 2006; it is my first brush. Apart from some minor shedding the first 2 or times I used, it's been flawless. One special, for me, feature of the BK4 is it's relatively compact size, Using the original circular package in which it came, it's become my travel brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Glad to hear it!....in a way....spending any money now on another brush would be foolish....but if you didn't like it I might have been 'forced' to, you understand ( chuckle ). Anyway, I agree with Dave's remarks regarding the BK4. When these forums were younger the Kent BKs used to be lumped with the Vulfix Supers as 'floppy' which was generally a negative term referring to not densely packed models. But when I got my BK4 eventually, and used it a few times I realized, as Dave mentioned, that in reality it was quite densely packed but the very fine guage of the bristle used as well as the considerable loft made the brush feel soft on the face and made it still relatively flexible but with more 'backbone' than many had noticed....certainly more than the Vulfix models. When I got the brush I was thinking of it mainly in terms of creams but soon discovered that it was an unusually fine performer with the hard soaps.
Regards,
Gordon