ShaveMac: Tight or Loose

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Fractal

ShaveMac: Tight or Loose

Post by Fractal »

I'm looking at getting one of these brushes (http://www.shavemac.com/Shaving-Brushes ... rn-brushes); however, I like to lather on my face which, for me, necessitates a firm, tightly packed brush. The specs don't seem to indicate "tightness" or "looseness". In the past I've bought what looked like a great brush, only when I got it felt like a wet, loose rag on my face (read Vulfix).

I have my heart set on a Shavemac, but I want to know if they're "tight" or not. As an example of what works for me, see the Simpson Emperor E2.[/url]
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I've tried and own a number of brushes with Shavemac knots. None of them are "loose" or lack backbone. They have fairly dense knots that combined with the bulb shape give a fairly firm feel.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Firm to the point of 'rubbery' in my experience, which is silvertip, finest, and pure. Pure being the loosest but with thick hairs that keep it firm. I think the finest had the best of both worlds. Firm hairs with room for flow through. The silvertip was not to my liking, perhaps if the loft had been longer...
笑う門に福来る。
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fractal you won't be satisfied until you get one.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Re: ShaveMac: Tight or Loose

Post by brothers »

I've got a Shavemac 220 that came in a package from a long-time SMF member who was cleaning out some unused articles. Used it this morning with the Castle Forbes. Nice lather-maker, but it's got a knot of about 30mm, and it's tight. Probably not a good match for this particular shaving cream. Great brush though.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

D0 1's definitely have tight knots (dense). I've had both the 2 and 3 band in the D0 1, quite a difference in feel between them.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I find the shavemac finest and 3-band Silvertip knots the ideal combination of softness, backbone, density and flow through. I only lather on my face and use shaving cream predominantly and these shavemac 22/23 knots are perfect. I do, however, want to try the recently introduced 2-band Silvertip knot.
Bryan