Good affordable soap brush recommendations

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Marsom

Good affordable soap brush recommendations

Post by Marsom »

Hello,

I've recently been using a wooden bowl of the AOS soap and have been getting really good results with it. I've been using a boar brush with the soap which has also been working well with this soap. I do find myself being somewhat hard on the brush while I face lather with it and end up with a lather that is very much like a good cream. I've been looking at different brushes that might be a good fit for using this soap and was thinking maybe a Duke 2 would be good. Something that is affordable yet effective along with something that I can just use in whatever manner I need to to get the lather that I like without worrying about damaging it. I tend to use circular motions while building the lather on my face and even push the brush somewhat into my skin to splay it out a little while lathering. I always found it a little harder to use a brush hard that cost $300 plus dollars. The boar is working just fine after a good number of years of beating the hell out it, but I just would like to get back to using a badger brush.
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Also, wanted to add that the boar brush I've been using over the last handful of years is one of those Omega large boar brushes that has the chrome looking handle. In Italy they apparently use these brushes a good deal in barbershops and to be honest, for the small amount of money it cost, I've really used gotten some great use out of the thing. May not be as prestigious as a high end badger, but it's definitely a good performer.
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, there are lots of expensive brushes that would fill the bill, but why do you care about the health of a $20 boar brush? Buy 10 of the things, abuse them for a few years and pocket $100.

BTW, I'm not the person to tell you about $300 brushes. I don't have any that cost even 1/2 that.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Thanks for the info. I actually do not care about the health of a boar brush which is why it's kind of been a good thing. I prefer the "experience" of using a badger brush, but I just haven't cared enough about it to change anything for some time. The boar just does the job and it's been doing a good one at that. I'm pretty surprised that it's held up for as long as it has considering how I've used it. I have owned some very expensive badger brushes over the years and I was more concerned about not being too rough with them. In other words, I didn't want to use very aggressive circular methods or push the brush into my face with them, but with the boar, I just didn't care because they're so cheap to replace.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

BK 4- moderate price and exceptionally effective.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lots of choice at the $100 price point or below. One of the most overlooked badger brushes imo is the C&E Best Badger. Is is usually had for $65, but if you wait until one of their semi-annual sales, you can get it for 20% off. C&E OEM their brushes from Edwin Jagger, and EJ do good brushes in my experience. The Pure Badger isn't bad either, so I am told -- and it's only $35.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Vulfix 2234 in Super is a good badger brush that will do service with both soap and cream. The 223- range from Vulfix has four sizes to choose from so you could dial in your preference a little further. With a quality knot and handle this brush is a good staple in any den. I usually avoid brush recommendations because of the wide variety of tastes and preferences but this is one brush I feel can set a benchmark.
Good shaving,

Gary
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

try a big knotted golden nib knot in one of there handles. i recently aquired a 26mm super and it is very good for $32.95
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The Jagger Georgian is an intriguing brush, with what looks to be a medium loft and not your run-of-the-mill handle. I think Squire uses one.
Ron
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

jww wrote:Lots of choice at the $100 price point or below. One of the most overlooked badger brushes imo is the C&E Best Badger. Is is usually had for $65, but if you wait until one of their semi-annual sales, you can get it for 20% off. C&E OEM their brushes from Edwin Jagger, and EJ do good brushes in my experience. The Pure Badger isn't bad either, so I am told -- and it's only $35.
I agree with Wendell on the C&E/EJ Best Badger brushes. This was my first brush and I still love it. In fact I just had an old handle that I "stole" from an antique dealer re-knotted with a TGN Best Badger Knot. Very much like the C&E/EJ brush.

Great brush for creams which I use most often but also for soaps including the most magnificent MWF and Tabac.

This is a great all around brush. If I were going with only one brush for all lathering this would be it.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

Best of luck in your search, however, you may find that the boar brush is the ideal brush for lathering soaps and that the badger brush does not live up to what you've come to enjoy out of your boar. That's what I found after I ventured back into the badger world after being a boar man for a while. I was very underwhelmed and returned to the boar. In my opinion, boar brushes are superior to badger brushes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to duck...
Best,
Scott
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Hodari D. wrote:Best of luck in your search, however, you may find that the boar brush is the ideal brush for lathering soaps and that the badger brush does not live up to what you've come to enjoy out of your boar. That's what I found after I ventured back into the badger world after being a boar man for a while. I was very underwhelmed and returned to the boar. In my opinion, boar brushes are superior to badger brushes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to duck...
Why should you duck. You stated your opinion and that is what the original poster is asking. I agree that a boar is better for lathering a soap especially for doing face lathering. But I have found that given only one brush and using both soaps and creams the C&E BB seems to work great for me. When all is said about it YMMV.

When all is said and done the OP is going to have a ton of options to sift through to make his decision on what to buy. :)
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Another agreement with Wendell's suggestion. The C&E / EJ brushes are excellent values. My first brush was the (to me) expensive $35 C&E Best Badger Brush. I still have it and rotate it with my BK4.
Ed
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Marion, you and I have followed similar brush paths at times over the past few years, including similar preferences in the particulars of our badger brushes.

I would second Chris's BK4 recommendation with the added note that you might also consider a Savile Row 3120. I think you have had a 3122 in the past, maybe even a 3120, so you may know whether it is or isn't what you're after. The 3122 (which I currently own) has less backbone than the 3120, and as a result, that smaller brush sometimes delivers a better hybrid of firmness and plush tips than does the 3122. I've almost talked myself into buying one lately.

A Duke 2 could be a good choice, too, as you mentioned, though you'd have to hedge your bets a bit more given the variability (for better and worse) of Simpsons. Some are scrubbier than others.

I'll be curious to see where you land on this. Sometimes, I think boar is just the greatest thing ever. Then I go through phases where I use the 3122 for months on end. Just now I'm feeling the itch to play the field, which hasn't happened in a while. Do report back on what you choose so you can help me spend my money. :D
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Tim,

Yeah, the brushes you mentioned may be worth looking at for sure. It's been a long time since I've used a badger brush. I sometimes laugh at all the money I've spent over the years on high end badger brushes that I never stuck with for any significant length of time and then wound up using a boar brush that cost next to nothing for years. However, at some point, I'll pull the trigger on a badger brush again. I do miss owning and using one. I may end up with one of those three band Chubby 1 Supers. Seems like a good all around brush.

Best,
Marion
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll be interested in reading of your experiences with the Chubby when the time comes Marion. Sounds like a good choice.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

How about a simpsons commodore x3 in best? Will run about $80
To $85. Perfect brush in just about every way and is especially good with soaps. I love mine. It sort of flies under the radar on the forums, but it is a wonderful brush.
~Matt
merkri

Post by merkri »

I feel obliged to put in a plug for the Muhle synthetic brushes, which can be really nice and are in the affordable range. E.g.,

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/intr ... 0/21_M_337

There are lots of other handle styles, though, and they have a less expensive version also:

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/b2b/ ... 1_P_8_S_GR

There's also a "high end synthetic" brush (not just different in the handle--the black fiber and silvertip fibers are different):

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/mode ... 2/31_K_876
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I was going to plug my old friend, the Shavemac 22368 - an elegany long handled brush with a ball of hair on the end. But I see it's gone from the Shavemac site. I bet Bernd would do one on request though.

Here's one lording it over a CH3:

A perfect brush in many ways, and surprising how the longer handle whips up soap lather all the quicker. If I could, I would make the hair a bit stiffer and scritchier, and these days even Shavemac hair is silky and soft. I used to like this brush so well that I bought two spares. One I sent to a sob-story member in Iraq who then went silent (I hope it was ingratitude rather than an IED) but the other two, with their old-style Shavemac hair are staying right here!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace