Wee Scot - what an understatement

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Rufus

Wee Scot - what an understatement

Post by Rufus »

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Simpson's Wee Scot. I've been fascinated by this brush for a long time and after a few glasses of fine Claret the other evening I sat down at my computer, called up the Fendrihan website and the rest is history. The brush arrived today and it's...well, minuscule! They weren't exaggerating when they described it as being no bigger than your little finger. I didn't think a fully functioning brush could be made so small, but I'll find out tomorrow morning when I load it up with TOBS coconut shaving cream. Stay tuned.
Bryan
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My experience with the Wee Scot is all good. It works well with most soaps and creams and unless you are in need of endless gobs of lather it should satisfy almost any shaver. I think it is nice looking and fun to use.
Rich
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

First test drive this morning and I'm amazed. The little bugger can really perform. It lathered up beautifully on my face and held just enough for three latherings. I'll continue to use it for the rest of the week, but after. just one use I'm convinced that it's a real brush. Hats off to Simpsons.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wasn't going to write anything until your first lather with it.

Yes, it's a very surprising brush. It's size definitely doesn't show it's potential.

It's big brother, the Case, is also a very nice brush.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've now used my Wee Scot for my last 6 shaves and my first impression has been confirmed: Wee in size, but very big in performance. It's a serious brush and will now take a place in my rotation. Whilst it won't supersede my Rooney Finest S2/S1, as my top performer and favourite brush, it's right in there with my cete of badgers.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am anxious to give my new Wee Scot a whirl when I get it later this week. I keep reminding myself that patience is a vitrue .... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufus, and it fits in a small Rx pill bottle if you need a travel brush. Just drill some holes in the top and bottom and it's good to go. Just don't put it in the bottle wet.

Yup, it's an amazing miniscule brush; and to think, it's the medium size WeeScot. That's what I find amazing.

There was a WeeScot 1 (the Nano as it's now called and even smaller than what you and I have), the WeeScot you have, and the present Case would be size 3. All the same family and considered by Simpsons to be WeeScot #1, #2, and #3 though I don't know that they refer to them as such, nor do I know their name for what we call the Nano.

Not long ago I thought I wanted a Nano. Then I got to thinking... I'm not a collector and I really can't see me actually using a brush smaller than the present WeeScot. The short story is that I gave up the search. Even if I see one I won't buy it even though I'd love to have one in my hand. But they are "out there" if you're interested.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Yup, got my pill bottle, holes drilled. Now all I need is a place to travel to.

It's hard to imagine a useable brush smaller than the current Wee Scot. I have medium size hands and have no problem handling the Wee Scot, but for some one with large hands it could be a different story. Although I haven't seen one, and for that matter didn't know that such a beasty existed, I'd think that a Nano would be more of a collector's brush than a daily user. Regardless, I continue to enjoy my Wee Scot and to marvel at its efficacy.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The pill bottle travel holder is one of the best ideas I have ever gotten from this forum. I admit to having received a lot of good ideas here that have been equally useful from SMF.

When I stay in a hotel, I often shave at night if I have to fly out the next day so that the brush is dry. My recent purchase of the inexpensive Body Shop synthetic brush is an attempt to see whether the reports that synthetic brushes dry faster than badger, boar or horse-hair are true. Time will tell as I am not traveling anywhere on a plane anytime soon.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gary Young

Re:

Post by Gary Young »

ShadowsDad wrote:Rufus, and it fits in a small Rx pill bottle if you need a travel brush. Just drill some holes in the top and bottom and it's good to go. Just don't put it in the bottle wet.

Yup, it's an amazing miniscule brush; and to think, it's the medium size WeeScot. That's what I find amazing.

There was a WeeScot 1 (the Nano as it's now called and even smaller than what you and I have), the WeeScot you have, and the present Case would be size 3. All the same family and considered by Simpsons to be WeeScot #1, #2, and #3 though I don't know that they refer to them as such, nor do I know their name for what we call the Nano.

Not long ago I thought I wanted a Nano. Then I got to thinking... I'm not a collector and I really can't see me actually using a brush smaller than the present WeeScot. The short story is that I gave up the search. Even if I see one I won't buy it even though I'd love to have one in my hand. But they are "out there" if you're interested.
We simply referred to them as Wee Scot 1, 2 & 3-no 'pet names' I'm afraid!

Gary
Gary
vferdman

Re: Wee Scot - what an understatement

Post by vferdman »

Ah! the Wee Scot thread. I love this brush. It was my very first Simpson. Right now my only two factory-made badgers are Wee Scot and Case, both excellent badger brushes. I have to admit that when I travel I take the Case or one of my own creations. I have created at least two brushes inspired by the Wee Scot. They are nothing like the Wee, but I was going more for the function of the Wee Scot in a slightly larger handle. Wee's handle is the only thing that keeps me from using it regularly. Case has solved that problem and is an outstanding small brush, but lacks the signature and the unbelievable performance/statute quotient of the Wee. I haven't used mine in a while, but I am not going to ever get rid of it. I am now on a bit of a boar brush kick and am practically forcing myself to use badgers (used one today!), but Simpson best badger brushes are some of the best out there and Wee Scot is simply a feat of shaving brush artistry.

Enjoy your Wee Scot, it will continue to amaze you.

--
Vladimir
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks for that Gary. I wonder who named the #1 the Nano, probably on another forum.

Rufus, I'm the same way... travel brushes and no where to go. I'm actually right where I want to be. Yet I'm obsessed with them.

If this wasn't a WeeScot thread I'd post the lineup; Simpsons Best to synthetic fiber, then hybrid and boar. But the most surprising and the one with the largest "cool" factor has got to be the WeeScot.
Brian

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Vladimir,

Intrigued by your two custom creations...executed by whom?? Do you really make your own??

Tell us more, please.

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Also, don't forget that if you are thinking of the Wee Scot as a travel brush, you can get almost exactly the same brush with a threaded handle to go in a reversible larger handle as the Major. The only warning is not to screw the brush into the handle too tightly or it will crack. :oops:

The Major deserves a lot more love than it gets. A brush designed for an Everest expedition? One wants to know more - razors used, boiling water at that altitude etc.

Chris
Bet I could shave a yak and strop my razor on the bare patch!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

drmoss_ca wrote:Also, don't forget that if you are thinking of the Wee Scot as a travel brush, you can get almost exactly the same brush with a threaded handle to go in a reversible larger handle as the Major. The only warning is not to screw the brush into the handle too tightly or it will crack. :oops:

The Major deserves a lot more love than it gets. A brush designed for an Everest expedition? One wants to know more - razors used, boiling water at that altitude etc.

Chris
Bet I could shave a yak and strop my razor on the bare patch!
Well, yes, but take $100 off of the price of a Major and you still have an expensive WeeScot. The pill bottles that convert it into a travel brush are waste (free).
Brian

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

A used pill bottle doesn't match up to the "cool" factor of the Major.
Jim