I'm in the mood for a new brush...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jww
Woolly Bully

I'm in the mood for a new brush...

Post by jww »

.... so I bought 3. Well actually, I really bought 2 and-a-half as one of them is the Synthetic bristle jobbie sold by The Body Shop. Thanks to Phil at Bullgoose I have a Simpsons Duke 2 and Wee Scott coming my way. Why?? Because I needed to get some new blades as I am getting low. Of course, you can't buy new blades without looking at brushes, and soap ..... that's another thread for another day.

Looking forward to the Simpsons brushes for sure -- they get such good reviews and I am fairly deprived on the brush side as I only own a total of four (up until today, that is).

I did a 3-pass run with the synthetic just now. It performed really well. I mean really well...... and it only cost $12 CDN -- how good a deal is that? The main reason I wanted it was to see what it might do as a travel solution for me. Synthetic dries so much faster than boar or badger -- at least that was my thinking to justify the small outlay. I don't see it becoming a serious go-to brush per-se, but it certainly should be fine in a pinch when I have to grab a carry-on and get on a plane for a few days.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

Considering the Wee Scott moor my travel brush...most folks seem to like it. Lexus know what you think!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

enjoy the new brushes and use in good health

clive

p.s.
Of course, you can't buy new blades without looking at brushes, and soap
ROTFL
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.p.s......what happened to the kent lust??
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:p.p.s......what happened to the kent lust??
The reported "floppiness" of same finally put me off. I still would love to own a 4 with the imitation horn handle some day, but when I thought it through, I couldn't figure out why I wanted a Kent so badly in the first place. So ---- since I have always been after a Simpsons, I decided to go that way. The Wee Scott has had so much coverage as of late that I couldn't resist adding that to my cart. :D
Wendell

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The WeeScot is laughable until you actually use it, but I think you already know that.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:Use them in good health and enjoy them. The WeeScot is laughable until you actually use it, but I think you already know that.
Looking forward to swathing up a lather with the little gem with a brogue accent.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:Use them in good health and enjoy them. The WeeScot is laughable until you actually use it, but I think you already know that.
Looking forward to swathing up a lather with the little gem with a brogue accent.

My one question is, is he a Highlander or a Lowlander? Whichever he is, he's a Stirling performer and not to be trifled with.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The reported "floppiness" of same finally put me off.
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for floppiness is what i say! :lol: :lol:

btw, test drive offer on the 4 still stands.....i think you are scared of spoiling yourself with incredible lather hahahahaha

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My coveted package from Phil was waiting for me at the hotel when we arrived last night. I used the Duke 2 and was so pleased with the outcome. A real lather workhorse.

When I unveiled the WeeScot, my wife suggested that she might mistake it for a makeup brush until I cast her the "don't touch my shaving gear" look. I will test drive that diminutive little might this evening.
Wendell

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Excellent, Wendell! Enjoy both brushes. The Duke is truly an iconic brush (as is the Wee Scot for that matter).
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:My coveted package from Phil was waiting for me at the hotel when we arrived last night. I used the Duke 2 and was so pleased with the outcome. A real lather workhorse.

When I unveiled the WeeScot, my wife suggested that she might mistake it for a makeup brush until I cast her the "don't touch my shaving gear" look. I will test drive that diminutive little might this evening.
Wendell, happy day or to quote Stimpy, "Happy, happy, joy". Tell SWMBO she should not be so irreverent about the Wee Scot and that she does so at her own peril. He might be wee in size, but he's big in performance.
Last edited by Rufus on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Geesh Wendell,

Now you have me fascinated with the Wee Scot. That brush always seemed so small to me. Don't have real big hands but I like something that seems a bit more substantial in my hand than what I think the Wee Scot would be.

But I have taken your advice on a couple things I thought I would not like, The FAT and Tilley Hats. So now when I visit my daughter in Chicago over the July 4 weekend I will see if they have one and get it in my hands to see how it might fit.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, sounds like a great brush harvest you have. Don't judge the BK4 until you've walked a mile with one. Ooops, got that a bit mixed up, but you know you'll never overcome that itch. Go ahead and accept the offer of a test drive!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Wendell, what do you think of the Wee Scot? I used mine this morning with a puck of EJ Sea Buckhorn soap and it performed marvelously. Up to now I'd used it only with creams where it performed extraordinarily well, so I'm delighted that it performs equally well with soap.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I actually didn't use it for the first time until this morning. I like it very much -- it actually fits really well in the hands. I also like the denseness of the knot - they sure pack a ton of bristles into this little mite.

Because it was my first time, I admit that I had to go back to the puck of Harris Arlington which I used for the Wee Scot's inaugural use - but lather production was very good. I have to learn the balance of water and soap though to get optimum lather.

Notwithstanding I was very impressed --- a makeup brush indeed!!!!

One thing that I did notice, however, was that both the Wee Scot and my new Duke 2 had a bit of that mustiness smell that is very strong with new boars, but less so with new badgers. I expect that will disappear within a few uses though so I am not overly concerned -- more surprised as my last new badger had no such odor to it. No matter -- I'll just have to use them both a bunch to get them broken in.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Wendell, I'm glad to hear that you like your Wee Scot. I think it's a fabulous brush...a makeup brush indeed :-# As concerns the musty smell of your WS and Duke, I haven't experienced this with my last two Simpsons purchases, the Colonel and the WS; I hope it goes away soon.

I'll soon be taking my WS on the road...to Ottawa. The family arrives from England on Friday and we'll be taking them on a road trip to "the sub-arctic lumbering town". I'll be taking my WS, encased in a drilled plastic pill bottle, and puck of EJ Sea Buckhorn soap, which I bought in the travel-size, plus my clothing. Wendell, are there any worthwhile shaving shops in the Rideau Centre, along Sparks Street or elsewhere in the downtown core?
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Unfortunately, Ottawa is pretty much bereft of shaving shops, although there are a couple of old-school barbers who sell product. You may want to check out Imperial Barbershop. They sell their own brand of soaps, OEM brushes, and other items. Not sure what their stock is like as they do sell online.

Where are you staying, when do you arrive, and how long are you here for? Hopefully you'll be here for the Tulip Festival which is a sure sign that spring has hit the National Capital Region. A ga-billion flowers grace the capital and it's quite a site to see -- especially around the Dows Lake area where you can walk amongst some of the prettiest parkland we have to offer outside of the Gatineau Park.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Thanks Wendell, but it's much as I thought. I'll take a look in the Imperial Babershop on Slater, but their offering on the web is pretty meager. It will, however, allow me to take a walk on memory lane as I worked for most of the 1970's in an office at the corner of Slater and O'Connor.

As concerns our visit to Ottawa, we're staying at the Westin (on points). We arrive next Wednesday, 8 May, and leave that Sunday. Not long enough in my book, but SWMBO is the planner. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the visit, as Ottawa is one of our favourite cities. SWMBO and I have talked about moving back, but that would be difficult since all our children and grandchildren live in and around Hogtown. There are times, however, when we both think that a little distance between them and us wouldn't be too bad.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just to return to the Kent for a brief moment, I think the whole point about the BK4 is that it performs so well on a hard soap, when everything about it suggests it would be useless. Fine, soft hair, loosely packed - no hope! And yet it does make great lather. I just wish I could feel it on my face.

Chris
Bit like chucking a sausage down a hallway.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace