Simpsons Super Badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Rufus

Simpsons Super Badger

Post by Rufus »

Well chaps, just when I think I have it under control my SBAD raises its (ugly) head. I now want (don't need) a Simpsons Super Badger brush. I currently own 2 Simpson best badger brushes, the Colonel and the Wee Scot, and love them both, but my shaving life feels incomplete without a Simpsons Super Badger. I have three in mind: a Chubby 1, a Tulip 2 or an Emperor 3. My shaving characteristics are: lather exclusively on the face, use shaving cream 90% of the time and like a medium-size brush. Of the brushes I currently own I find the Simpsons Colonel and Rooney Finest 2/1, to be close to ideal. Of the three Simpson brushes I'm considering I think the Chubby 1 would be the least desirable for me, but it is an icon, which has a certain appeal. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Simpsons Super Badger

Post by Squire »

For me the Rooney Finest 2/1 is about ideal and I tried to find something similar in the Simpson line with a Persian Jar 2 that was part of a limited single band run. The Simpson came as densely packed as any brush I've owned and didn't really work as well as the Rooney or the Kent BK4 for that matter. Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Squire
divotmax2

Post by divotmax2 »

My Super Badger T3 is one of my favorite brushes. I don't find it too large and it works great on soaps or creams. I am also primarily a face-latherer and the bristles feel, um, super.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:For me the Rooney Finest 2/1 is about ideal and I tried to find something similar in the Simpson line with a Persian Jar 2 that was part of a limited single band run. The Simpson came as densely packed as any brush I've owned and didn't really work as well as the Rooney or the Kent BK4 for that matter. Just some thoughts.
Squire, very glad to see you back. You always seem to be able to get to the subliminal heart of the matter :oops: ... a BK4 has been at the back of my mind for a very long time...darn, darn, darn, not another.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, Then the Tulip #2 should do the trick for you.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

bernards66 wrote:Bryan, Then the Tulip #2 should do the trick for you.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, thanks; a Tulip 2 it is. BTW, I managed to buy a M&F Blond Badger from a member here; it's in the style of a Rooney 1/2 with a black handle. I'm hoping that the T2 will satiate my SBAD otherwise I'll have to get a job; greeter at Walmart perhaps? :mrgreen:
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i was going to 13 thumbs up the t3 comment, but you seem to have decided on the t2 ....Gordon strikes again!!! :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:i was going to 13 thumbs up the t3 comment, but you seem to have decided on the t2 ....Gordon strikes again!!! :D :D :D

clive
I considered the T3, but it looks as though it might be a tad on the large side, in terms of knot size and ultimate bloom.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the bloom on the t3 is almost non existent. I've been using this brush every day for about 18 months now

clive
Attachments
t32.jpg
t32.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
de gustibus non est disputandum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, You're correct; the T3 is a noticeably larger brush than what you seem to be looking for. If you're used to the X2l Colonel than trust me, the T3 will feel 'big'. I have a fine Somerset era T3 which I much appreciate but it definately feels quite...er...substantial compared to the brushes I usually use today. A T2 would be more what you're after I think.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon, thank you. I find a brush around the size of the Colonel and a Rooney 2/1 is just about ideal for me. I ordered a T2 on Friday from Fendrihans and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so I'll know soon enough.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, Well done! Let us know what you think after you've tried it.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The T2 arrived this morning as expected and is soaking at the moment to get it ready for the morrow. I hope this will end my SBAD.
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Maybe your SBAD will subside, but odds are it won't.

Hope you love and enjoy your new Simpson's!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I used the T2 this morning and I'm puzzled by it. In terms of size and ergonomics it's just right for me. It lathered the C&E Sienna cream well, but its face-feel was not what I was expecting. Also, I found that whilst it wasn't a lather hog per se, I did have to coax the lather a bit on my second and third passes, which is something I don't have to do with any of my other brushes. As concerns face-feel, recall that I strictly lather on my face, I found it lacked substance, notwithstanding the density of the badger; although I wouldn't call it floppy or unpleasant, the feel was unexpected. Of the 8 brushes I've acquired recently, 3 were real standouts in terms of on-the-face lathering performance and feel: Simpsons Colonel (best badger), Simpsons Wee Scot (best badger) and New Forest Tubby 2 (super badger 2 band). Unfortunately, the T2 does not measure up to these brushes in terms of performance, but this is only a tentative conclusion based on one use. I'll continue to use the brush for the next week, but I have the feeling that it won't be one of my go-to brushes as the Colonel is. Interestingly, 3 (Colonel, Wee Scot, Tubby 2) of my 4 top performing brushes are my least expensive ones, costing a half to a quarter of a T2. In terms of aesthetics, ergonomics and manufacturing quality there is no doubt that the T2 is top of the range, but you pay a high price for the super badger.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Used the T2 again this morning. In terms of face-feeling the adjective that popped into my mind was "mushy". I haven't experienced such a feel before and it is quite unlike the springiness of the Colonel, Wee Scot and NF Tubby 2, which I really like. Furthermore, whilst the first lathering was rich, I again had to coax the lather out for passes 2 and 3.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've been using my T2 regularly over the last month, including this morning, and I must say that I've gained a much better opinion of Simpson's super 3-band. Since my first use of the brush on 20 June the face-feel has changed, feeling more substantial now. Over the last month I've rotated my brushes, using pure, best finest and silvertip,every other day so as not to become too accustomed to the T2. Bottomline, I really like the T2, ergonomically and in its face-feel. I've also found that I no longer have to coax lather out on my third pass, which is something I had to do earlier on.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, There you go! It's funny, I was going to reply to your original dismayed post urging you to give it some time, but didn't for some reason. As you discovered, not infrequently with the really high end brushes, they require some 'break-in' time to really come into their own. There are a few members still here that may remember my original take on the Plisson #14 EW that I got in, maybe, 2004. This was on the old MSN Wetshavers forum and I too was dismayed. Here I'd gone and spent way more on a shave brush than I ever believed I would and waited a month or more for it to arrive from France via Vancouver and it felt stiff and 'scritchy' and had a very domed crown that I didn't like. It seemed totally different from the few good brushes I'd already owned and I was very discouraged and regretted my purchase. One of the guys, 'Jack' I think it was, urged me to be patient and use the brush for awhile before I drew any conclusions. He felt sure that in time I would begin to appreciate my purchase and you know, he was right. That brush took longer to 'break-in' than your T2 but today it's soft as can be on the face and makes just amazing lather using the classic English creams. Plisson probably doesn't offer brushes like it today and I'm very glad that Jack urged me to hold on to it.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon, funny how that is the way with some brushes. I must say though that my Simpson's QEII Jubilee in Manchurian and Colonel in best felt really good right out of the box, no breakin period necessary. Just goes to prove that one shouldn't be too quick to judge either way. I'm glad that I hung in there with the T2 because I find the brush aesthetically and ergonomically very pleasing; now it's a great performer. I don't fully understand why some guys sell a brush after only one or two uses, but each to his own.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I figure one of these days I might get a Simpson brush when I least expect to. It'll probably be a Chubby 3 or a Polo with an extra tall loft somewhere over 60mm or so. I've always been curious about a Simpson Best, or one of the rare Manchurians from several years ago. I admire you fellows who are so familiar with all of these, and are able to discuss them with great familiarity. If you say I don't know what I'm missing out on, I'm sure you are correct!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444