My New Shavemac

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Craig_From_Cincy

My New Shavemac

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I finally selected a new brush after months of try to decide on one. I'm please to present my new Shavemac 3 Band Silvertip D01 Bulb shape 24mm knot/53mm loft with brown-black handle. Man this is one dense brush, with soft tips and great backbone:
ShaveMac.jpg
ShaveMac.jpg (109.88 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
First shave with the new Shavemac D01 3 Band Silvertip this morning:
SMD02.jpg
SMD02.jpg (285.32 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
A completely different feel than any brush that I've ever used. My other brushes have been rather soft even when new and were a bit 'squishy' on my face. The SD01 feel like one solid mass on my face (if that makes any sense). The tips are soft but the brush is super dense and there's backbone galore. It whips up lather like a champ. I like it!
Cheers,

Craig
beartrap

Re: My New Shavemac

Post by beartrap »

Love that handle!
Steve
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Enjoy!! and use in good health

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

That's a fine looking brush, Craig, and it sounds like it performs well. Congratulations.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mmmm --- Lather!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Craig,

Looks great. Hope it becomes a favorite!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Looking good Craig.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks like you picked a winner Craig!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Shavemac D01's are a bit too dense for me. The old XXL brushes had a compromise between density and deformability that was just lovely, making a sucking feel when pushed against my face. The 2 band D01's I have are like the IoM Manchurian CH3 - too dense to be effective. Your 3 band might be a bit better in this respect and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Most of the pleasure in using a brush is in the feel on your face, and for each of us there is a sweet spot between softness and density that makes us happy.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I love that handle Craig, very nice. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Craig_From_Cincy

drmoss_ca wrote:The Shavemac D01's are a bit too dense for me. The old XXL brushes had a compromise between density and deformability that was just lovely, making a sucking feel when pushed against my face. The 2 band D01's I have are like the IoM Manchurian CH3 - too dense to be effective. Your 3 band might be a bit better in this respect and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Most of the pleasure in using a brush is in the feel on your face, and for each of us there is a sweet spot between softness and density that makes us happy.

Chris
Doc,

This brush is a completely different feel from any brush that I've ever experienced before. There is a huge density in this brush, but that density is balanced out with the Shavemac's velvety soft tips. My last several brushes were too soft for my ever evolving tastes ( esp my Vulfix 2236S). I face lathered with the Shavemac this morning, using Harris Lavender Cream and the results were splendid. Gobs of cream that loaded effortlessly into the Shavemac, producing enough lather for 5 passes. Next up: Working with my PannaCrema and Mike's Lime with the Shavemac.
Cheers,

Craig
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Craig, yours is a D01 3-band, correct? I believe the 3-band is less dense than 2-band, but I have no first hand experience with the latter. I do know that I hate lather hogs, and the 3-band was not too dense in this regard. It was still a bit more of a wall of badger than I care for these days, but it didn't hang onto lather so mercilessly as my old Emillion did, for instance. Very good brushes/bristles.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Craig_From_Cincy

Tim, I read that same thing, that the 3 bands are less dense and less stingy with lather than the 2 bands. I really like this brush, its very different than any other brush I've owned. Its just the right size too; my Simpson 56B is a bit too small and my Vulfix 22336S is simply too large. This Shavemac is 'Baby Bear's porridge'-it's just right!
Cheers,

Craig
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Craig,
My recollection is that you are basically a cream guy

I'm in the group who believes, based solely on MY limited experience, that some brushes do work better on soaps vs creams
(and vice versa, of course). I am 95 % soaps now a days, and my Somerset Dukes 2 and 3, my Chubby 1 Best , and less so
the PJ8 are my go to soap brushes; my Vulvix and C&E brushes are reserved for Creams

My Question is have you, or will you, ever use your new ShaveMac with a hard soap?? if so, would love to hear your reaction

Finally, can I ask whether you believe that QED's Saville Row badgers, if you are familiar with them, are
possibly ShaveMac cousins or step-brothers??/

Thanks and continued good shaves with your new beauty!

jr/John
jr/John
Craig_From_Cincy

John,

I've never seen a QED brush, but I've read talk at B&B about them being Shavemac's, possibly seconds.

I am primarily a cream guy, but I use soaps too in fact more so now than in a long time. I regularly use Harris, AOS (tallow), several Italian soaps including PannaCrema, Mike's Natural and vintage Penhaligon's. In fact it was my introduction to some of these artisan soaps that prompted me look for a new brush. This Shavemac performs well with soaps, it loads very well and then whips into great lather. While I generally bowl lather, I have even face lathered soaps (usually Harris) with the new Shavemac and it's been a great performer. My Vulfix was not great with soaps but is a good cream brush. My Simpson 56 is versatile with both, but with a 19mm knot its too small for me. If I use a soap tomorrow I will snap a picture or three and post them.
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If I may: I can't imagine what else a Savile Row would be except a Shavemac silvertip. Charles appears to have a special supply of hair designated as such; I wouldn't characterize them as "seconds" in the least. It's shaped a bit differently than standard Shavemac ST (chunky bulb, not particularly pretty to my eyes) and, to me, feels softer/firmer than the standard. Both exceptional, but the SR has a definite edge in performance.
Ron
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I can't vouchsafe that QED's are Shavemacs but they definitely "resemble" the latter. However, having owned four silvertio QED's, I can definitely say that the brushes are in no way seconds. Nor do I believe that Charles would act in such a manner.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

My Saville Row is a great brush, the best of my non-Simpson's! I remember reading here that it might have been a ShaveMac.
No one suggested it was a "second," and having dealt with Charles/QED for 6-7 years, you could never convince me he would
sell anything not first-class plus!
That said, why wouldn't he commission someone like Berndt to produce a superb line of brushes...make a lot of sense.
Anyway, Craig, forgive me for the blatant thread hijack...not intended to diminish in any way your obvious joy with your
new SM Brush...now my juices are flowing!!

jr/John
jr/John
Craig_From_Cincy

Just to clarify, I didn't read any suggestion that they were seconds here, I read some conjectural over at B & B. I've never seen the brushes, and I really know very little about them.
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Craig I think some of those guys over at B&B believe the moon landing was faked.
Regards,
Squire