SBAD has me by the ...!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Rufus

SBAD has me by the ...!

Post by Rufus »

I've been using a shaving brush for over 45 years. Until last Octobef I was quite satisfied to have just two brushes: one for use at home and one for use on the road. Since 2007 I'd been using a Rooney Finest 2/1 at home (which replaced a Simpsons PJ2) and since 2008 I'd been using a Kent B&B 2008 LE on the road (which replaced an AoS turnback). In October last year SWMBO and I were walking around the backstreets of Rome when I spied a gorgeous looking shaving brush in the window of a beauty shop. That was it, I just had to have the brush and on entering the shop and handling it I knew it was going to be mine. At €135 it wasn't cheap, but I thought what the heck. The interesting thing, however, was that there was no maker's name or other identification on the brush or on its box; it did have a label on the bottom of the handle which said "Real Badger". I tried to quiz the shop assistants on the brush, but to no avail due the language barrier and their lack of product knowledge. Not to be deterred I bought the brush and used the very next morning. I am glad to say, and quite relieved to report, that the brush performed admirably and has continued to do so. This is where and how my SBAD started and today I'm the proud owner of 10 shaving brushes: Rooney Finest, Kent B&B 2008 LE, an unknown Italian, Simpsons Colonel, Simpsons Wee Scot, Thater, M&F Blond Badger, New Forest Tubby 2, Omega B&B Essential boar, and finally today's arrival the Simpsons Tulip 2. I hope my SBAD is now satiated, but I can't be sure; I guess I should stop reading threads on shaving brushes. :mrgreen:
Bryan
OleDub

Re: SBAD has me by the ...!

Post by OleDub »

Rufus,

What a great collection. I have a BK8 and a Comm. X2. I thought that was it!!! No way. At least I can take comfort in the thought that I am too poverty stricken to satiate my SBAD to the extent that you have!!!! Enjoy.

The Dub.
John the 'Dub
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

OleDub wrote:Rufus,

What a great collection. I have a BK8 and a Comm. X2. I thought that was it!!! No way. At least I can take comfort in the thought that I am too poverty stricken to satiate my SBAD to the extent that you have!!!! Enjoy.

The Dub.
Thank you and I love each and every one of them. Nonetheless, I'm not so sure that I can afford my AD's, which include fountain pens (+110 at last count), but the ride has been very stimulating. If you want to increase your cete of badgers I continue to recommend that you give serious consideration to Fido's New Forest brushes. I have a Tubby 2, which in terms of price, quality and performance can't be beat; if I were to buy another brush, heaven forbid, it would probably be a New Forest. Please be assured that my only connection with Fido is as a satisfied customer and one who appreciates high quality entrepreneurship. To quote Warren Buffett, "Price is what you pay, value is what you get."
Bryan
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Brushes used to be my thing....40 plus have passed through my den... Now I am down to a vintage Boar which only gets used to lather my barber hone ( and an occasional use,,maybe 2-3 times a year) and my daily go to brush, a Somerset era Simpson Duke 3. I really want an Omega 100049 but I just haven't pulled the trigger on it as of yet. The Duke 3 symbolizes for me the wonderful feelings I had when I first got into this "hobby" so it has remained above all others.

I have never owned a Shavemac or Savile Row or Thater and I feel that if I ever had a SBAD flareup, those would be a target as would a Rooney Finest.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryan, that's an impressive assortment of very nice brushes. We need to get you fixed up with one (or more) of the Omega or Semogue Boar brushes. Maybe if you have one listed, I missed seeing it. Anyway, they are different from badgers of course, but very good at what they do, and are inexpensive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gary, I do have an Omega B&B Essential boar brush. It truly surprised me by how well it performed and how good it felt on my face, notwithstanding my first impressions when I unpacked it: it looked stiff and prickly out of the box, but proved itself to be a horse of a different colour when thrown into action. For over 45 years I had ignored boars, other than to roast and eat them, but this particular devil gave me my comeuppance for being dismissive of them as brushes. This Boar will have a permanent spot in my brush rotation. It not only feels good on my face, it makes me feel very parsimonious when I contemplate how little I paid for such a stellar performer.
Bryan