Can anybody offer a prognosis on this...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
OleDub

Can anybody offer a prognosis on this...

Post by OleDub »

I recently satiated my SBAD recently with the acquisition of a Silvertip 2234 Vulfix to add to this line-up:
brush_all.jpg
brush_all.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 4174 times

When this happened:
brush_broke_1.jpg
brush_broke_1.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
The commie fell off one of those small plastic stands which caused it to crack at the side when it hit the floor.
Any ideas on getting this fixed, a replacement handle, or do I just bin it?

Here is a better look:
brush_broke_2.jpg
brush_broke_2.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 4174 times

Any thoughts?
John the 'Dub
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Can anybody offer a prognosis on this...

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you send that photo to the boss at Vulfix, he will tell what it would cost to replace the knot in another handle - mark@progress-vulfix.com would be the address.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
OleDub

Post by OleDub »

drmoss_ca wrote:If you send that photo to the boss at Vulfix, he will tell what it would cost to replace the knot in another handle - mark@progress-vulfix.com would be the address.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Email sent. I owe you one for this.
John the 'Dub
OleDub

Post by OleDub »

UPDATE:

Mark replied first thing this morning and made me a great offer on a new brush, which I accepted. New X2 on the way.

looks like Vulfix/Simpson's customer service is every bit as good as their brushes.

Thanks again Chris,
John the 'Dub
SRD

Post by SRD »

OleDub wrote:UPDATE:

Mark replied first thing this morning and made me a great offer on a new brush, which I accepted. New X2 on the way.

looks like Vulfix/Simpson's customer service is every bit as good as their brushes.

Thanks again Chris,
Can't ask for better than that.
Dave
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

As a group we hard core shavers of the world seem to demand a lot from our vendors and they generally "do right" by us in just about every case. We should be thankful and respectful for I am sure this is not the most lucrative business.

When I use a brush, I use Vulfix. :wink:
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We are a demanding lot, I don't know if I would have the patience.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Now to inject the crack with epoxy and gently apply a G-clamp (or G-cramp as my woodwork teacher used to insist upon).

Mark has come through again. He does deserve our business!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

gsgo wrote:As a group we hard core shavers of the world seem to demand a lot from our vendors and they generally "do right" by us in just about every case. We should be thankful and respectful for I am sure this is not the most lucrative business.

When I use a brush, I use Vulfix. :wink:
Hear Hear!
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very impressive customer service! Also, if you like the knot and are unsuccessful with the repair suggested by Chris, you can get it installed in a new handle fairly easily. However, if you take time and are careful, the repaired crack will become just another beauty mark on a favorite old brush that should be around for a long time to come.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The epoxy fix works and with the right clamp will create a seam almost unnoticeable.
Regards,
Squire
OleDub

Post by OleDub »

Squire wrote:The epoxy fix works and with the right clamp will create a seam almost unnoticeable.

Well it crossed my mind, but alas I'd be afraid it would split further and maybe cause an accident whilst lathering. That said, I didn't fully appreciate the term ; "lathe handle", the build quality on the brush is superb. I thought it was spun on a lathe to avoid making the handle in 2 parts, creating a seam which would open over time. However, the handle seems to be "hewn" from a cellulose material which is in one piece and then hollowed out, which reminds me of an old Montegrappa pen I inherited. I consider them even better value than I did before.

PS, I put my 5 euro plastic stands in the bin. Never again.
John the 'Dub
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Just as well I say. Those slightly tacky looking plastic brush stands are entirely unnecessary with quality brushes anyway despite what some sellers say. Yeah, Mark, his father, the whole Vulfix operation are absolutely top shelf in my book. One time they sent me a custom made brush, not knowing me from Adam's house cat, and just billed me for it AFTER it had arrived at my house. Now that's REALLY old school and it certainly impressed me.
Regards,
Gordon
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

As much as I love the other aspects (DE's, soaps and creams) the Simpson shaving brush is still a thrill. Chubby 2 Manchurian this morn from the Irish Sea shined. Somerset is proud.

Max
OleDub

Post by OleDub »

vtmax wrote:As much as I love the other aspects (DE's, soaps and creams) the Simpson shaving brush is still a thrill. Chubby 2 Manchurian this morn from the Irish Sea shined. Somerset is proud.

Max

Enjoy, Sir!
John the 'Dub