Shavemac finest badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Rufus

Shavemac finest badger

Post by Rufus »

I'm trying to get an idea of the face feel of Shavemac finest badger. The website says that this grade of hair gives "a soft and comfortable shave", but doesn't address the backbone. I lather on my face exclusively and use creams predominantly. The brushes I find most satisfying in terms of face feel are the Simpson's Colonel with best badger, the Simpson's QE II Jubilee with Manchurian badger and the New Forest Tubby with 2-band SUper. All these badgers have soft tips and "springy" shafts without being rigid and good flow through. I'm considering buying a Shavemac brush in a bulb shape with a 23 mm knot and 50 mm loft, but can't decide on which grade of badger. Would the finest badger be suitable or should I go with the Silvertip DO1, which is described as having "backbone" and firmness?
Bryan
beartrap

Re: Shavemac finest badger

Post by beartrap »

Finest and D01 are not the same. Finest is closer to Simpsons Best, D01 is packed more and has a stronger backbone. That said, finest has very nice face feel.
Steve
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

beartrap wrote:Finest and D01 are not the same. Finest is closer to Simpsons Best, D01 is packed more and has a stronger backbone. That said, finest has very nice face feel.
Thanks Steve. I've decided to order a brush with the finest badger and the Beehive handle, designed by Michael Rudd, in faux ivory. The knot will be bulb-shaped, with a 23 mm diameter and a 50 mm loft. I'll report my thoughts on the brush in due course, but I'm confident that I'll be very pleased.
Bryan
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

That sounds like a great brush. Don't forget pics!
Steve
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Here is service for you: I ordered the brush on Thursday evening and it arrived at my front door at noon today; just a short 4 days from Berndt's workshop in Germany to my home, just outstanding. The brush is gorgeous looking and I'll be using it first thing tomorrow morning.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The Shavemac Finest hair (fan shape) I've just received is very soft and with minimal scritch. The bristles have lots of spring but I wouldn't mind a tad more firmness, even at the relatively low loft it's set at (47.75mm). Even so, there shouldn't be any problem with face lathering. It certainly has good flowthrough on the test lathers I've put it through. It feels very different than the Simpsons' Bests I've had in the past, all of which were firmer and scratchier.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

rsp1202 wrote:The Shavemac Finest hair (fan shape) I've just received is very soft and with minimal scritch. The bristles have lots of spring but I wouldn't mind a tad more firmness, even at the relatively low loft it's set at (47.75mm). Even so, there shouldn't be any problem with face lathering. It certainly has good flowthrough on the test lathers I've put it through. It feels very different than the Simpsons' Bests I've had in the past, all of which were firmer and scratchier.
Those are my observations exactly. My brush, however, is bulb-shape and the loft is slightly longer at 50 mm. I think it feels more like Simpson's 3-band super. Notwithstanding, it feels very luxurious on my face and thus it has a very pleasant sensation when I lather on my face; it's hard to imagine that the Shavemac Silvertip could be any more luxurious. Now I'm curious about the feel of the Shavemac DO 1 3-band.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I had a D01 when they first came out and didn't keep it very long. Very dense, very firm, very scrubby. It held on to the lather rather well, as I remember. I wish the Finest was as firm, but so far (after one shave!) it performs very well. I still think my Savile Rows were more "luxurious" in feel, and because of their shape/loft had a bit more backbone. The Grosvenor handle on my brush is great; your beehive should be, too.

*One last observation: the knot shape and coloration after lathering and drying out some, reminds me of my Colonel X2L Super LE. Looks the same, feels totally different.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

rsp1202 wrote:I had a D01 when they first came out and didn't keep it very long. Very dense, very firm, very scrubby. It held on to the lather rather well, as I remember. I wish the Finest was as firm, but so far (after one shave!) it performs very well. I still think my Savile Rows were more "luxurious" in feel, and because of their shape/loft had a bit more backbone. The Grosvenor handle on my brush is great; your beehive should be, too.

*One last observation: the knot shape and coloration after lathering and drying out some, reminds me of my Colonel X2L Super LE. Looks the same, feels totally different.
The DO1 you had, was it 3-band or 2-band? I've read that the 2-band is as you describe above; I was hoping that the 3-band would be less so.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It was a 3-bander, which I'm sure isn't as unforgiving as I've heard the 2-band to be. I was just used to soft 3-band Savile Rows and a Simpsons Emperor 3, so was unprepared for any kind of firm knot. The lack of flowthrough was the most disconcerting thing for me; not quite as bad as an Emillion, but it required some coaxing.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

rsp1202 wrote:It was a 3-bander, which I'm sure isn't as unforgiving as I've heard the 2-band to be. I was just used to soft 3-band Savile Rows and a Simpsons Emperor 3, so was unprepared for any kind of firm knot. The lack of flowthrough was the most disconcerting thing for me; not quite as bad as an Emillion, but it required some coaxing.
Ron, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to stick with the Simpson's Chubby 1 in best, which is a brush I've been lusting after.
Bryan