Softening Bristles for Soap Users

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
EL Alamein

Softening Bristles for Soap Users

Post by EL Alamein »

One thing that I've come to appreciate as a hybrid user that uses mostly soaps is that using an occasional cream really conditions the bristles of a brush, even one as soft as a Vulfix or Kent.

One thing that' I've noticed when I've used soap for quite a while (weeks and months on end) is that the bristles seem to get starched or stiff. To my perception this affects lather making with soaps etc. At this point I usually use a cream for a day or two or just lather the bristles with cream and let it sit for a few hours in the Evening in the lather before rinsing it out and letting it dry and it makes all the difference in restoring a brush's bristles to a soft supple state that seem to make a superior lather with soaps.

Anyone else notice this?

Chris
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Softening Bristles for Soap Users

Post by M6Classic »

Nope, never noticed it. However, I rinse my brush really well after each use. The vintage Plisson HMW bristles remain marvelous, but no more or less marvelous than days, weeks, or years...decades, even...ago.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't noticed that either. I've been using soaps about 99.9% of the time for the past 10 months. Now that you've raised this question I'll try to pay attention in case it's happening so gradually I'm just not aware of it, but I don't think so.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Can't say as I have Chris, perhaps your water has something to do with it.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can't say I've noticed it either but I have very soft water. Are you sure it isn't a rinsing issue?

FWIW, if it is a water issue I've found that one lathering with a glycerine soap cleans the brush. No special cleaning, just lather, shave, rinse and it's clean. If it's hard water deposits you might need to use vinegar.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I think you guys may have hit on something with regards to how soft one's water is. We have hard water here and even though I use distilled water to make lather I use tap water to rinse my brush. I do rinse thoroughly but I am thinking that perhaps it is the residue from the hard water that is building up on my bristles and starching them.

I'm wondering if the glyercin in the shaving creams is what helps release this buildup? In any case that buildup does noticeably affect lather quality to my perception. I have a hunch it has a lot to do with how the bristles release water into the soap and into the lather as it is being built. I speculate this may be so because I notice that when the brush needs this little conditioning technique it starts doing something odd: it holds water in the very base of the bristles that eventually gets driven out and drips down the brush handle instead of mixing in with the lather. After doing my little conditioning routine it does not do this. The lather is excellent faster and with much less effort.

Buzz, I wonder if the HMW bristles would even display any difference since they are so stiff to begin with (as opposed to my Vulfix). I had a Plisson HMW and it was a wonderful lather generator but it was quite stiff. The other thing I'm wondering is will you see a difference when you run out of vintage Trumpers? Also, I think you may have said at one time you have soft water up there which, if hard water is the culprit, will probably mitigate any starching issues.

Anyway, thanks for the input, Guys. I always appreciate the collective wisdom around here.

Chris
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Stiff Plisson bristles? Ummm...no, not stiff at all. We're talking vintage 1972-1978 Plisson HMW in #24. Nobody has ever called them stiff. Compared to Vulfix, though? I know absolutely nothing about your Vulfix or anyone else's Vulfix.

Buzz
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Trust me, it IS markedly...er... 'firmer' than Chris' Vulfix brush.
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

There used to be a thread about cleaning brushes. I think they used diluted Dawn dish soap and after a rinse, they rinsed with diluted vinegar. The vinegar might do the trick for you. Be sure to rinse it well.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

No difference here either -- but Ottawa has very soft water.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?