Brush Dust

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
kronos9

Brush Dust

Post by kronos9 »

First, take one of your dried-for-a-day brushes, hold it upright in one hand and with the outstretched forefinger of the other hand, sweep your finger across the top of the brush. See any dust flick out? Try it bristles down, in front of a dark towel, across a towel, any way you want.

My brush is clean, thoroughly rinsed after each use, soft Lake Michigan water, and dried in an open window. Yet I can still run my finger across the top and see dust emitting from the brush.

So how clean is clean? The brush works well but I'm curious about the seemingly inescapable dust.
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Brush Dust

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dried up soap residue and skin scales. Unpleasant to think about, but around 90% of household dust is shed skin scales.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

drmoss_ca wrote:Dried up soap residue and skin scales. Unpleasant to think about, but around 90% of household dust is shed skin scales.

Chris
More food for those ubiquitous mites.
_______
John
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If it was Florida, those would be snake scales.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are gross, I'm gonna go soak my brushes in vinegar.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brushes aside, that dust is probably all around us and on us. Not me because I dust myself off every few minutes, if you want to believe that! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would tell the cleaning lady but don't think she would get the joke.
Regards,
Squire
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Squire wrote:I would tell the cleaning lady but don't think she would get the joke.
Probably just give you the brush-off.
Ed
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Only bookbinders are more obsessive about their brushes than wet shavers. Unfortunately, I am both. Binders tend to keep our brushes hanging upside down or under some form of shelter. The idea is that dust will get to the base of bristles, eroding them and causing individual cilia to break. This may or may ot be true, but it is why I protect all of my brushes from dust, even my one shaving brush. Believe it or not, some binder'sbrushes cost way more than a Chubby 3 in super.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Believe it or not shaving brushes do a good job dusting off a keyboard.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I already posted a pic of my granddaughter and my Wee Scot --- she thinks it's a grand little item and isn't too concerned about brush dust --- just as long as she is fed well, gets her sleep, and has a clean and dry bottom, life is pretty good for her.

Ah heck -- it's worth posting the link 'cos the pic tickles me every time I look at it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52214&p=622607&hili ... ot#p622532

Did Simpson have this use in mind????
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
btafan

Post by btafan »

Just get a dust brush and brush the brush with the brush. :wink:
-Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, the Simpson looks right at home in her little hand. Great photo!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

kronos9 wrote: Probably just give you the brush-off.
Probably throw something at me when I tell her to dust my brush.
Regards,
Squire
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

A classic manual on housekeeping mentions pressing worn-out shaving brushes into service for dusting the tops of books on shelves, which represents a relatively dignified dotage.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Buzz,

PM sent.

Ken
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

After use, I set my brush on the middle shelf of a bookcase. Perhaps this practice amounts to sheltering it, as Buzz mentioned, although the bookcase is not closed.

For some time on this forum, we discussed the utility of a stand. If memory fails me not, the consensus was that one was unnecessary: a brush set right-side up dries faster due to capillary action and contemporary handles made of resin will not crack, as do ivory and wooden ones, were the knot to remain moist. Furthermore, Gary Young weighed in, quipping that, if a brush were meant to be stored upside down, Simpsons would have added a ring to the base of the handle.

Could a stand be useful, nevertheless, to prevent dust accumulation?

Kind regards,
Daniel
Geneva
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

daniel051 wrote:After use, I set my brush on the middle shelf of a bookcase. Perhaps this practice amounts to sheltering it, as Buzz mentioned, although the bookcase is not closed.

For some time on this forum, we discussed the utility of a stand. If memory fails me not, the consensus was that one was unnecessary: a brush set right-side up dries faster due to capillary action and contemporary handles made of resin will not crack, as do ivory and wooden ones, were the knot to remain moist. Furthermore, Gary Young weighed in, quipping that, if a brush were meant to be stored upside down, Simpsons would have added a ring to the base of the handle.

Could a stand be useful, nevertheless, to prevent dust accumulation?

Kind regards,
Daniel
Geneva
Yup.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

Everything generally encounters dust. I've acquired several brushes that have obviously been stored sitting on a shelf for a period of time, and if there is any dust, it washes away with a good shampoo.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Daniel I think a brush stand can be useful to keep the brush conveniently within reach but I don't see dust becoming a problem. Those brushes I regularly use are of course washed when used and the others are put away clean in their boxes for storage.
Regards,
Squire