El Druida Michelle in Olive wood with synthetic knot brush.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Teiste

El Druida Michelle in Olive wood with synthetic knot brush.

Post by Teiste »

Let me introduce to all of you my current favorite brush , made by an Spanish artisan , El Druida : the "Michelle" in Olive wood synthetic brush.

I have been following El Druida since he joined us like a year ago in the Spanish forum foroafeitado.com , and I must admit that I didnt like a bit his earlier designs , until he decided to launch the model that he have named "Michelle" , inspired in one of my favorite handles of all times , the Rooney 1 series.A couple months ago and I asked Javier (El Druida) to make me a Michelle handle , in Olive wood , and put a synthetic knot on it , and my dream brush was born.:heart::heart:

This brush contains a 24 mm synthetic knot from TGN.Its one of the new synthetic knots that TGN is currently selling and has the 4th generation fibre , the same than the Muhle V 2.0 or the Frank Shaving Pur Tech.

Here with the 23 mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre V 2.0 shaving brushes :

This brush has the following specs :
  • 24 mm knot
  • 50 mm handle height
  • 50 mm loft
  • 100 mm total height
I chose to set the knot at 50 mm since I wanted a brush for facelathering exclusively , and oh boy ! , It seems it was a very right choice for me.

But let me show you how El Druida (Javier) send the brushes.The word GORGEOUS , fall short to express the brilliant box and presentation :

But that's not all , the brush comes with a stand in the same wood than the handle.In this case , its Olive wood :

The handle is the best looking one that I currently own , to be honest.It competes with the latest Semogue foroafeitado 2013 horn handle brush , but If I have to pick up only one , I think I know which one I will choose...Let me show you some pics of the handle , in which the grain and the wood pattern is shown.This Olive wood also puts to shame my old Vie Long Olive wood brush that I used to have.

I truly also enjoy the "Red Heart" symbol on the bottom , as you can see in these pics :

As I have said , the synthetic knot is made with the 4th generation fibre , very well packed (like a Muhle STF brush 23 mm) and a dream if you are a die hard face latherer , like I am.Set it at 50 mm have been a success , since the backbone its quiet high , but keeping some flow.The tips are extra soft and feels so luxurious on the face ! And not only that : it creates thick and creamy lather in a blink on an eye too.

I have used with triple milled soaps and creams , lathering with circular strokes on my face , and the lather simply "explotes" , even with some "difficult" products , like Musgo Real shaving cream or Mitchell's Wool Fat soap.

I have tried several hundred shaving brushes (badger , boar , horse , synthetic) , so I know what I want on a brush , and I did ask that to El Druida. He truly followed my instructions and created this , again , GORGEOUS brush (I wish you guys could see it in "person" , since I can not show its real beauty on my pics , I'm afraid).Yes , this brush have become my current favorite shaving brush. So far this is my best acquisition for 2013 , and I think that says a lot.If I also mention that the price and shipping was less than the current price for some of the Muhle Silvertip Fibre brushes out there , then , I can only smile.

El Druida is doing a great job with his latest creations , and I can totally recommend him if you are looking for a customize handle.Seems that he also can get knots from different European brands , like Vie Long or shavemac , and also some special badger hair grades.

You can check El Druida's work here : Artesania El Druida
JRTASTER

Re: El Druida Michelle in Olive wood with synthetic knot bru

Post by JRTASTER »

Neat, really neat!

jr/john
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Very nice! Slap some badger hair in there and it would be a winner for me.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nice brush, and all the better because it's EXACTLY what you wanted.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Drop dead gorgeous. And quite reasonable for custom-made as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Beautiful wood work.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Thanks for sharing, that is a beautiful piece of kit!
Good shaving,

Gary
jaguar

Post by jaguar »

You new brush is beautiful, a work of art in wood.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with you Teiste. It's something very special, to say the least. I was having my doubts about the knot/size/fibre, etc., but then you made me feel very good when you mentioned that the gentleman can get pretty much any kind or size of brush. Now my imagination is running wild! I just might have to talk to him about a brush for myself. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Thank you , gentlemen.I can honestly tell you that the handle is beyond gorgeous once you can see it in "person" and this brush performs like a champ.I have seen the same handle with different badger knots (two band and silvertip premium) and look fantastic too.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very nice work, enjoy.