In Praise of the Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
GregPQ

In Praise of the Kent BK4

Post by GregPQ »

For years I have used 'stiffer' brushes, e.g. a Plisson #12 (European White) and a Chubby 1. I could never get them to work using 'paintbrush' strokes. I always had to use rotary action.

A recent--and mild--allergic reaction to some medication suddenly made these brushes feel uncomfortable against my now-sensitive face.

So I bit the $80-bullet and ordered a BK4 from a nice UK vendor.

What a wonderful brush! Very easy to build up tons of lather, readily applied with back-and-forth sweeps. No rotary action required. Although the handle looks vaguely Edwardian, it is in fact quite ergonomic. It lays down a very thick cushion of Taylor's cream (currently using avocado and grapefruit). Tomorrow I may try it on an old puck of Kent shaving soap I had trouble lathering in the past.

Very satisfied!

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Whistler

Re: In Praise of the Kent BK4

Post by Whistler »

Greg, You will be in for a pleasant surprise when you try the bk4 with soap, at first glance it would seem to be a dud with soap but in fact, it is a great performer. I love mine, have had it for years.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

+1. After a number of years in the wilderness and more brushes than I care to admit to, the BK 4 has become my brush of choice. Now I have a shelf of shame. As with many things at SMF, it is all Gordon's fault.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Chris, yes! All Gordon's fault. :lol:
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

It's funny that there is a thread about how great the bk4 is because I have been using mine exclusively the past two months and will continue to do so for at least the rest of this month as well. Like others, I bought mine on Gordon's recomendation and I couldn't be happier with it. The brush makes great lather, and tons of it too, easily with any trad wetshaving lathering product. It is a soft and very luxurious brush, so won't give that scrubby massage feel, but other than that, you can't really beat it in terms of functionality.
Last edited by Mr.Max on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Matt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The BK4 is one of those cohesive combinations that simply do the job for which they were designed. You can measure it, analyze it, read about it and talk about it but you have to use it to understand it. I won't go so far as to give it the all around shave brush title but it certainly is a contender.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ummm....well....if everyone is HAPPY with their BK4s than I am willing to accept responsibility ( cough and clearing of throat )....but it's certainly not ALL my fault...all those other impulsive acquisitions....those 'shelves of shame'....no...not me....Peter maybe. Actually I originally got my BK4 from Chris M. It was another of those generous gifts for which SMF members are reknown. I took it as a given, based on my experiance with Vulfix Supers, that it would be a superb brush for traditional creams and for some reason I had a hunch that it might work well for hard soaps as well but it was only an intuition and I never really have been in a position to buy quality shave brushes just to check out a hunch or out of curiosity. So, Chris' largess was greatly appreciated. And guess what? bloody hell if I wasn't right. The BK4 DID turn out to be a champ with the hard English soaps as well. In fact, out of the dozen or so brushes I currently own ( Simpsons, Plissons, Rooneys ) this Kent is probably my most stellar brush for hard soaps. It's the one I pick up when I get a soap I haven't tried and I want to see what it can do under optimal conditions....if the BK4 can't coax it into making a good lather than the soap's definately not worth messing with any further!
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Stop it --- please. All this praise of the BK4 is killing me after I thought I was over the pining to pick up one of these.

And to make matters worse, I have misplaced my entire shaving arsenal that I packed prior to our renovations and now can't find anything ----- at least I kept my MWF, DR Harris, Tabac, Duke 2 and Moss Scuttle out ...... I have scoured just about everywhere -- and just don't know where anything is.

:shock:
:cry:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Oh no, here I go again. Just when I thought my SBAD was well under control I go and read a thread like this. The real problem is that whenever I've bought something that Gordon recommends it turns out to be a stellar purchase; so in this case I can't convince myself that I'll be taking a big risk if I purchase a BK4... :mrgreen:
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My wife helped me find my long lost brushes --- so much for the rationale for acquiring a BK4 ...... :oops:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That was a message Wendall, a wake up call that the circle is incomplete.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, you won't regret it for a moment.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've had three of them. I kept reading great reviews on this forum, so every time after switching to something else, I switched back to the Kent. :)
Nice brush, no hard feelings.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:That was a message Wendall, a wake up call that the circle is incomplete.
Actually the BK4 is not the only Kent that I pine for. I'd love to own the H4 as well. I dunno why, I just happen to like the looks of it. Small-ish, floppy, and that wonderful Edwardian style handle. Oh stop it, he says to himself!
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I keep offering Wendell my 4 to use for a while, but he keeps refusing......there must be a wifeeee threat in there somewhere :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:I keep offering Wendell my 4 to use for a while, but he keeps refusing......there must be a wifeeee threat in there somewhere :D :D :D :D

clive
Actually no, really. I am just trying to be strong in my resolved abstinence and prudence in my fiscal affairs.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell this temptation is obviously a nuisance which you will be rid of by simply giving in.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wendell this temptation is obviously a nuisance which you will be rid of by simply giving in.
Yes indeed ... <<sigh>>
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, are we to understand that there are other material things more important than a pretty little shaving brush that will bring you years of enhanced shaving enjoyment?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The wife couldn't possibly object Wendell, otherwise you might pine away, lose weight, grow distracted, she wouldn't want that.
Regards,
Squire