Colonial Drug Reborn

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Colonial Drug Reborn

Post by M6Classic »

Sadly, after 66 years, the venerable Colonial Drug has closed at Harvard Square, Cambridge. Fortunately, they have been reborn as a sister shop with the equally venerable Stoddard Cutlery on Watertown Street in Newton, Massachusetts. I visited with Cathie at the new location this afternoon. It is apparent that she will have available all of our favorite shaving products and even more as she kept pulling out marvelous razors, soaps, and other paraphernalia from boxes scattered everywhere. They have just moved and are at the beginning of setting up the new shop. In any case, you will not be disappointed if you visit or call, and I urge everyone who has a shaving need to check in with Cathie and P.J. If I was successful in downloading them, following are a few pictures of Cathie's new brush stock. Note especially her full line of Rooneys and the two best Plissons that I have seen in years. They are a #18 and #20 HMW in horn. They will also show you marvelous razors that you have never seen anywhere. Cathie mentioned that she is in negotiation with Plisson to produce a run of the old HMW brushes set in plexiglass (my brush of choice), providing they can find some of the old hair stashed in the Plisson safe. This is a long-term project and I suspect the brushes will be in the $750-$1,000 range, but if they are anything like the brushes I and my son own, they will be worth every penny. Stay tuned. Because of their new association with Stoddard Cutlery, I suspect that the unified shop will be able to provide and maintain your every straight razor need, too.

Colonial's new address is 360 Watertown Street (Route 16), Newton, MA, and their phone number remains 617-864-2222
photo-15.JPG
photo-15.JPG (115.77 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
photo-16.JPG
photo-16.JPG (142.17 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
photo-17.JPG
photo-17.JPG (127.44 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
photo-18.JPG
photo-18.JPG (98.65 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
photo-19.JPG
photo-19.JPG (109.61 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
photo-20.JPG
photo-20.JPG (103.91 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
F.W. Fitch

Re: Colonial Drug Reborn

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Thanks a million for the update Buzz. Big news/changes indeed! Also, thanks for the pics ,from a guy with a Leica avatar, that never includes pictures (yes) big changes & news...

Fitch
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Shaving and cutlery together. I know this isn't Iowa, so it must be heaven.
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A Plisson worthy of the name would be something. I gave away my HMW as it wasn't anything worth keeping. If you, Buzz, can vouch for the new ones, I will put my name down for one of them. It will have to live on a shelf of Somerset Simpsons, but I expect it will cope simply out of spite.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drmoss_ca wrote:A Plisson worthy of the name would be something. I gave away my HMW as it wasn't anything worth keeping. If you, Buzz, can vouch for the new ones, I will put my name down for one of them. It will have to live on a shelf of Somerset Simpsons, but I expect it will cope simply out of spite.

C.
No, the two horn HMWs in stock, while the best I have seen in several years, are not the equal of the possibly resurrected HMW plexis. Hold your fire, Chris, and I'll keep you informed if and when Cathie procures the vintage HMW brushes, which I would rate a "must buy" even at their breathtaking price point. Speaking of Somerset, I should note that Cathie still has one exceptionally large Persian Jar and another exceptionally large Simpson...a Polo, I believe...both in best and both from the Somerset era. They are NOS and are expensive though I can't remember quite how dear.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank you Buzz. I'm sending you a pm.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you out and about Buzz. thanks for the info and pics

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Rooney has a TURNBACK available!?!?!?!? Oh dear Heavens, please stop!

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

EL Alamein wrote:Rooney has a TURNBACK available!?!?!?!? Oh dear Heavens, please stop!

Chris
For those of us who were wondering what a Turnback is, I located this review:
Compared with the "Best Badger" of the Simpsons (also available in "super grade"), the Rooney feels much more luxurious when lathering up. The loft is larger and the bristles are softer than the Simpsons. It would be interesting to compare this brush with the Simpsons Major with their higher grade badger. Nonetheless, IMHO, there are problems with the Rooney's combination of stainless steel parts and imitation ivory barrel. If you soak the brush in hot water prior to lathering up, the barrel expands at a different rate than the stainless steel. As a result the knot's stainless steel base tends to loosen within the plastic barrel. Secondly, there are more parts involved in this design. There is a third stainless steel cap that screws on the end to hold the brush within the barrel. So unlike the other 'turnbacks', this brush does not 'turnback' within the barrel when being stored. As a result the brush remains loose and rattles around inside. Finally, the thickness of the barrel is about half that of the hefty Simpsons, so I would be very concerned about accidentally dropping this brush. It seems too delicate for my tastes.

With its fine quality loft, the Rooney "Silvertip" not surprisingly offers a superior lathering experience. As a travel brush, however, my Simpsons Major in the lower grade "Best Badger" remains by far my preferred choice.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

travelbrushes04022006_004_thumb.jpg
travelbrushes04022006_004_thumb.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Gary. The review you posted seems to be from some years back, when Rooney were making them like photo provided by our drP. Classic Shaving carried them, and I always wanted one, but never had the money at the time. The ones now look to be quite a bit different in construction. The Simpson "Major" in Super grade is also in the picture for a clear contrast as mentioned in that review. I never was able to get one of the Rooney type ,as mentioned, but I do have one of those sweet Majors in 'Super' from the pre-Vulfix days. It has never touched water and I'm glad I have it as I brood over the older Rooney ones again.

Fitch
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Keeping hair in the vault eh? I shouldn't wonder.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:Keeping hair in the vault eh? I shouldn't wonder.
Well, Squire, where would you keep the last bundle of true high mountain white badger hair on earth?

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm reminded of the fellow who put all his money into gold bullion and when asked the value of his holdings commented he didn't know how much in dollars but did know how many pounds.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

F.W. Fitch wrote:
travelbrushes04022006_004_thumb.jpg
Gary. The review you posted seems to be from some years back, when Rooney were making them like photo provided by our drP. Classic Shaving carried them, and I always wanted one, but never had the money at the time. The ones now look to be quite a bit different in construction. The Simpson "Major" in Super grade is also in the picture for a clear contrast as mentioned in that review. I never was able to get one of the Rooney type ,as mentioned, but I do have one of those sweet Majors in 'Super' from the pre-Vulfix days. It has never touched water and I'm glad I have it as I brood over the older Rooney ones again.

Fitch
Looking at Buzz's pictures above it looks like Rooney has adopted the de rigueur style of turnback that Vulfix has promulgated for years. I love that style (albeit in black - a la T&H). I wonder if Rooney actually makes it? I *suspect* they make the knot and load it into the premade turnback model. How much better can it be over the Vulfix model?

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thank ye, Buzz. Those are, indeed, some nice looking Plissons ( and Rooneys ). But, I say, what are those jars and bottles that we can partially see at the bottom of the first picture? And, in general, how is their stock of shave creams/soaps and colognes these days? I appreciate you posting the new address and phone number as there is no other way that I would have known.
Regards,
Gordon
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

bernards66 wrote:Thank ye, Buzz. Those are, indeed, some nice looking Plissons ( and Rooneys ). But, I say, what are those jars and bottles that we can partially see at the bottom of the first picture? And, in general, how is their stock of shave creams/soaps and colognes these days? I appreciate you posting the new address and phone number as there is no other way that I would have known.
Regards,
Gordon
Gee, Gordon, you really should move back up here to the land of sweet water. In the photographs I posted Cathie was still unpacking and did not even have all of her cabinets delivered. While we stood around chatting, Cathie kept opening boxes full of wonderful things. Beth and I were back at the new shop yesterday and things seem to be coming together quite nicely. We were on a mission to buy moustache wax for a friend and we had a choice of...I think...five different products. I didn't inventory the soaps and creams, but it looks like Taylor's, Harris, Trumper's and all the many and obscure products from the old shop; if there's something you crave you should call. Another long-term project is that Cathie talked about getting Floris to make tallow-based soaps again, and wouldn't that be great #89 fans? I don't know much about scents, but there seemed to be a growing wall of colognes. I'm not the one to judge the quality and range except that there are many.

I can't wait to see how the shop looks when both Colonial and Stoddard are set up. I will post more pictures as they progress.

Buzz
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

M6Classic wrote: Another long-term project is that Cathie talked about getting Floris to make tallow-based soaps again, and wouldn't that be great #89 fans?
=P~
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Nice pictures and Im amazed that they also carry Vie Long brushes and Alvarez Gomez Barberia products.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Yes!....more pictures by all means! Well, if she can find a way to finagle Floris into making some tallow based soaps like the ones they used to make I'm in despite the price. Not just the shave soap either, Sam and I would clean her out of any Rose Geranium Floris bath soaps you may be sure. And yes...sigh...I would so like to return to residence somewhere up there but the new wife is just as resistant to the idea of cold weather as the former one was....why does this keep happening to me?...what is the lesson?....sigh.....
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon when you gain that insight into the female mind please share.
Regards,
Squire