Short lofted boars

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Oscar11

Short lofted boars

Post by Oscar11 »

I know there isn't a lot of interest in boars around here but I've used them since I started shaving and enjoy the feel of them (I'm 60). I've shortened the loft of boars before but just usually a few mm. The 2/1 loft to knot ratio is common with badgers so I decided to try a few with boar knots. The brushes pictured used from 22mm to 28mm knots, mostly Omegas but there is a Semogue in the bunch. All but 2 follow this formula, the amber and black which is a 25mm knot set a 45mm and the all red which is a 25mm but set at 53mm. I'm a 100% face latherer and have been enjoying these brushes a great deal. Not all of them are broken in but a few are close. The brushes have a denser feel but are softly scrubby like a good boar should be (IMO). I'd like to do a couple more experiments with the 28mm knot but that will have to wait until until I can find time to turn a few handles.
ShadowsDad

Re: Short lofted boars

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm curious to read what you find out.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Very interesting and a great looking bunch too. I will be following the progression!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nice looking brushes. I would counter your point about SMF not having a lot of boar interest. I, as well as many members have both badger and boar and mix them up regularly. Some of our members are exclusive boar users although I do agree that dedicated boar users appear to be less in number.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

jww wrote:Nice looking brushes. I would counter your point about SMF not having a lot of boar interest. I, as well as many members have both badger and boar and mix them up regularly. Some of our members are exclusive boar users although I do agree that dedicated boar users appear to be less in number.
I tend to agree with Wendell. Although the Semogue boars are my favorites, I have a couple of badgers (Duke 1 and a Wee Scot) in the den for a change up.

Ed
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm sure this runs counter to your intensions, but I wouldn't mind having some badger or synthetic hair homesteading in one of your nifty handles. The boar hair actually looks pretty good, too. The 2:1 ratio makes these guys a lot more interesting to me.
Ron
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I don't know much about boar brushes. This topic interested my mind. Thinking of my Omega 48. Why does it have such a large heighth in hairs? What is the need?

If that means what what the short loft means? I have used lately just brushless push button goo gel. So I feel almost guilty even posting to this thread.
I'll go back to my brushes after I get over with this depression and dissapointment with people I am now feeling these days.

Usually now I just "shave" with an electric and after a few days when I feel like a bum, not showered even I get my wet shave, lately with a goo.
I hope you don't ever get into this kind of depression caused by a woman. And I guess many of you will get it too. Happens :(
Jarmo
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

I'm also intrigued by boar brushes but have never been curious enough to try one. This is an interesting experiment, indeed. Is the usual thinking that a longer loft permits more water retention for the boar brushes?

I don't think there's anything to be "bummed" about, JarmoP. In the interest of time this morning I just rubbed the Institut Karité soap cake against my face and went at it with a Fusion. It's hard to screw up with that cartridge, but frankly the sensation of it scraping away at one's face is not very pleasant. It's not like the good "scrape" one sometimes gets with a straight razor. I wish they made a single-bladed cartridge with a Fusion quality blade. It would be quite useful in a pinch.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

JarmoP, the brush on the right has a factory loft (height) of 70mm for a 28mm knot, rehandled it's at 56mm. Sorry for your troubles, keep your chin up.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i prefer the feel of my omega boar over any of my badgers but the badgers make a better lather and hold more lather also. the only exception is when i use the palmolive shave stick. i shred it into a bowl. with the boar it makes a really great lather. as good as a badger can do.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

JarmoP wrote:I don't know much about boar brushes. This topic interested my mind. Thinking of my Omega 48. Why does it have such a large heighth in hairs? What is the need?

If that means what what the short loft means? <snip>
I don't quite understand the interest in the longer lofts either. I have far more boars than any other type of brush and I find that for face lathering I like a loft of from 45-50mm. I just went to the cabinet and ALL of my boars are in that range. I thought the Lil' Bambino might be shorter, but it's right on at 45mm. I did try one higher lofted boar and hated it. It was just too much. I suspect, but have no expertise with it... maybe the higher lofts are used for bowl lathering?

In fact I currently have a decent boar with a 57mm loft and I've decided to PIF it away some time. Another from the same mfg'r with a loft of about 42-43mm and it's one stiff knot. It's better when wet, but still has huge backbone. I just decided to hand lather it a bit to see if more break in will change it's character.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

jarmo

nice to see you out and about. cheer up man....the good newz is that there is a gazillion lovely women running around.......but to be with them they require a shave and a shower....get with it dudester!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Brian, I've never been one to soak brushes but these short lofted brushes really seem to benefit from a good soak before use. I also try and break them in by encouraging them to open up, I manipulate them by spreading the knot a bit on the heel of my thumb before I set them up to dry. BTW, on my lunch hour I removed the 28mm knot from the black handle and reset it at 50mm.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm interested in hearing what you decide you like best and for what.

I'm set in my ways it seems, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to do as I do. I'm definitely interested in reading about what works for others.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've found that I get a more satisfactory shave when I use a longer lofted brush than a shorter one. I'm not saying the shorter ones, BK4, and the Italian Barber Ltd. Ed. brushes don't work for me, because they certainly do work, and I like them. I just get a more total package of shaving results and enjoyment when the lathering is provided by the longer brushes. I've stopped face-lathering because bowl-lathering gives me the lather I like.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

For the past few days I've been lathering a few times per day that short lofted (freebie) boar and it is getting better. It feels like a tiny floor scrub brush when dry, but get it wet, especially with soap, and it's quite nice, at least when hand lathering. But the handle is quite crude. if it was turned on a lathe the lathe was turning at 5 rpm and the tool was a tin can. OK, exaggeration, maybe 6 rpm. Did I mention how crude the handle was? One can see tool marks and that is NO exaggeration. I've seen whittling with fewer tool marks.

I'm nothing if not patient.
Brian