Vintage Faceted Horn Brush--Plisson Size 8?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rexcarolus

Vintage Faceted Horn Brush--Plisson Size 8?

Post by rexcarolus »

Greetings! I have had a bit of a lucky streak lately having found a couple of old mine Thuringian hones. The streak continues:
image.jpg
image.jpg (128.16 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
The base, with the number 8 faintly visible:
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.43 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Clever engineering to get the facets and base turning crisply articulated:
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.15 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
I certainly think it is a Plisson but would love to have your opinions. Do they do factory reknots? It would certainly be nice to have hair fitting the beauty of this handle. Truly old world craftsmanship that I don't think exists anymore.
Oscar11

Re: Vintage Faceted Horn Brush--Plisson Size 8?

Post by Oscar11 »

I was gifted this brush by a friend. Made in France. Made of horn and screws apart just like yours.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

That IS how Plisson constructed their handles, but it is the way that at least a couple of other manufacturers built their's. I would send a picture to Plisson and see if they reply. Many years ago was the last time I checked and Plisson would refill only heir own handles. I believe they currently sell Joris plugs, so its possible this service is still available. Plisson is notoriously lax in responding to inquiries, so maybe Our Good Doctor either knows or can find out.

Buzz
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Thanks for the replies, Buzz and Oscar. I will inquire with Plisson. The few pictures that turn up with a search for terms like "vintage plisson horn facets unscrews" look pretty promising. I bought it from someone in Florida, so that doesn't help establish the provenance. It came with hair (totally shot, unfortunately) that was hand tied. Not HMW bristle, but solid pure-ish best grade. The knot compartment is also threaded, by the way.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Just another thing...a well used brush may not be nearly as old or valuable as one might assume. Think long and hard about the beauty of the handle and the value to you of having it re-knotted, especially by Plisson. On the Plisson site they list a new #8 HMW (not to be confused with vintage HMW) for 231 Euros.

Buzz
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

In fact I had already purchased a new ACE Shaving silvertip knot for it before I did the further research leading me to believe it is a French brush, possibly by Plisson. This knot would certainly suffice to make it something I can use and reminisce about. No matter what happens with the hair, the handle will be outstanding.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

My friend picked up this brush on Ebay France. I emailed Plisson but never heard back from them.....yet, lol. It's probably been a year and a half ago.
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

The brush restoration is done. I think the knot (at least in appearance) captures some of the continental style.
photo-4.jpg
photo-4.jpg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
The knot is a 19mm ACE Shaving silver tip. The loft is approximately 52mm. Of all the brushes I've tried, this has the least "presence" on the face. No scritch, but not much (if any) backbone. Lathers well and easily. Not dense at all. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes this classic brush usable and fairly attractive, I think.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The handle's beautiful. If you did the work on it, you did good! The proportions of knot and handle seem just right.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Thanks, Gary. Yep, it was me!