Stanhome brush - vintage

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Stanhome brush - vintage

Post by brothers »

Stanhome Pure Badger
Yesterday's trip to the flea market was a success. I spotted this little brush and immediately picked it up because of the handle. Clear Plexi with a black plug. Very fair price, so I bought it. The handle is smaller, but identical to the handles on two of my favorite larger brushes, the giant Plisson and the resurrected Rooney Finest in one of Bernd's handles. The bristles appeared to be intact and not deteriorated or falling out, like most other vintage brushes we see. When I got back home, I shampooed it thoroughly to remove any loose hairs and the dust and odors picked up during who knows how long. The handle appears to be flawless, and after a brisk polishing with Flitz, it looks brand new. After drying on the counter for a few hours, I used it for a full shave with the Irisch Moos soap I've been working on for several weeks. Using distilled water I loaded the brush for 30 seconds on the soap then built my lather in the bowl. This little brush exceeded my expectations. It created plenty of thick lather, enough for 3 passes and an ample amount left over for squeezing out after the shave. I didn't know what to expect, but am pleasantly surprised. I compare this brush to the BK4 in size and proportion, even though the BK4 is a bit taller overall. The BK4 appears to be a bit more tightly packed than the Stanhome. The brushes have about the same face-feel and softness.

Here are the approximate specifications of both brushes:
Kent BK4: knot - 23mm; loft - 54mm; handle - 50mm
Stanhome: knot - 23mm; loft - 51mm; handle - 44mm

Here's a side by side comparison photo of the two brushes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzjn1scmkocno ... 074348.jpg
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Re: Stanhome brush - vintage

Post by malocchio »

Great brush !!!...I got a NOS one off ebay about 2 years ago for $15,and my luck usually is not so good !....great lather maker,and quality acrylic,if you find one grab it ,they are great brushes and packed fairly dense..
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Stanhome brush - vintage

Post by bernards66 »

Interesting for sure. Does anyone know anything about these brushes; where they were made, when, and so forth?
Regards,
Gordon