What Kind of Shaving Brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
triplecrownprincipal

What Kind of Shaving Brush?

Post by triplecrownprincipal »

My wife bought me an inexpensive shaving brush at a farmers market this summer. I really am enjoying using a brush to lather my face for a shave for the first time. I am wanting to buy a high quality brush and I looked into buying a Thater brush. However I did read on a post on this site that Thater recommends only using a soap dish lather and I use a face lather by placing the soap on the brush. I would appreciate a suggestion for a brush of this type.
Rufus

Re: What Kind of Shaving Brush?

Post by Rufus »

I think this could be a bit of PYA on the part of Thater. I have a Thater brush and in the box there was a note saying not to face lather, as the stubble on your face will cause the brush bristles to wear. Well, I face lather exclusively with my Thater, but I don't use it every day; I'll take my chances, but a brush will wear with use regardless of how you lather. Case in point, I used my Rooney Finest almost every day for nearly 7 years and only recently has it shown signs of wear. Simpson's advises with their brushes not to use a circular motion whilst face lathering, but to use a to and fro motion instead; again, I've chosen to disregard this and use a circular motion initially followed by a to and fro motion to finish lathering. BTW, my Thater brush is an outstanding performer for face lathering soaps and creams.
Bryan
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thaters are good. take a look at savile row also. both will do the job
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't address Thater, here's some serious advice: get the Thater because if you don't, you'll always wonder what you might have missed out on. If your experience is similar to almost everyone else's, this won't be the last brush you get. There is a laundry list of our collective favorite brushes, and most guys here can and have written volumes about our brushes. I can say with confidence you'll treasure your first really nice brush, and when you get it and start using it, you'll feel pretty darn good about owning it.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ronnie Aloha

Post by Ronnie Aloha »

If you're anything like most of us, this will be far from your last brush!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It might help us to know the composition and size of the knot you're using now, and if you like it (you write that you like using "a brush" not that you like using that specific brush). If there are any problems it would also help. Even small problems. One I can think of is lather in the nostrils, and who would think to mention that?

Yes, do the Thater. You won't know if you like it until you try it. Unless we have more information to work with we really can't help beyond that. After all, badger has certain qualities and any badger brush will operate within general parameters of backbone, softness, flow through, and maybe a few qualities I'm forgetting (it's late).

It's impossible to tell what you're going to like by using one brush from a market. You need to try various brushes, get a feel for the various fibers and go from there. The ones you don't like you can always sell on the b/s/t, recoup most of the $ and buy another. Or as many of us do, just buy them, fall in love (reselling or PIFing those we don't like) and have a rotation of brushes; each different, each appreciated and enjoyed in its turn.

I face lather exclusively and I use badgers, boars , and synthetics, and like them all. But they're all different and behave differently. IMO, acceptable sizes for FLing are different with them all also.

Just to plant the seed of BAD (brush acquisition disorder) , there are synthetics which are quite good (actually fantastic) today, boars, and horse. I have no clue about horse brushes but the other 2 are quite good. Different from badger, but just as good. I don't mean to take anything from away badger brushes; they're good too, different from boars and synthetics, but good nonetheless.

If you want to try making a brush, that's also possible by buying a knot, buying or making a handle and glueing them together (or paying the supplier to assemble them. I think TGN gets $10 for glueing). You might think that the result wouldn't be the equivalent of a famous maker brush, but they are and for much less $. They can be made in synthetic, badger, and boar. They won't resell for commercial prices, but they didn't cost what commercial brushes sell for either.

I mentioned the b/s/t. That's a great source of brushes to try. The previous user knows precisely what the brush is about and can answer questions. Buy a new commercial brush and you will only get generalities about the model, not specifics about the specific brush for sale. Not so on the b/s/t where the seller knows the specific brush. Thater's show up there frequently if you have patience. I think the key is to try brushes in general and to find what you like then zero in on those qualities. But that's me. I personally don't give a rats patoot about name recognition, I want quality and performance. You'd recognize the majority of my badgers by name recognition, but the hair used is quite ordinary because that's all that I require, also because I asked the previous owners about the hair quality/brush characteristics before purchase on the b/s/t. My new badgers I had hand picked by the shops that I purchased from.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 -- well said, Brian
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
triplecrownprincipal

Post by triplecrownprincipal »

Thanks to all for your advice. I think I am going to enjoy the "Brush" journey. My current brush is just some unknown brush purchased by my wife without label or any information. I was unaware of the B/D/T site on this forum and appreciate that information. By the way what is the meaning of PIFing. I am going to spend time on it today.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

PIF is the acronym for Pay It Forward.

Lots of times in the shave community we give items away to others, known as PIFing. It's a random act of kindness. It can be done any way the donor wishes it to be done and for any reason or none at all. Generally noobs are the recipients of a PIF, but not always. Basically the kindness just keeps being passed around.

If you check the b/s/t archives you'll see some past PIFs. But lots of PIFs aren't even public, some are done privately via PMs.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square