My 2 Badgers

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Oscar11

My 2 Badgers

Post by Oscar11 »

My only badgers at the moment are both DO1 knots. The one on the left is a Silver Tip and the right a 2 band both are 20mm knots one's a fan and the other a flat top. I'm just about a 100% face latherer and have enjoyed using these brushes. I've always liked bigger knots and think I've talked myself into making a brush with a 28mm knot, though I'm unsure of the type of hair, it will be another Shavemac with a bulb style knot. The flat top sure has a different look to it but if you can get by that it's very nice to use.
brothers

Re: My 2 Badgers

Post by brothers »

Oscar I like the looks of those two. I've read that DO1 have a backbone. Do these brushes bear that out?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

more questions...... which do you prefer most: flat or rounded? Thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

clive, the flat top really hits the spot for me. It's as close as I've come to the perfect face lathering brush (for me). I'm sure the hair type, 2 band, has a lot to do with it.
Gary, knot shape and hair type will have a lot to do with perceived backbone. Both of these brushes are short lofted, the ST is 20x40mm the 2 band is 20x42mm. I'm pleased with the backbone of both but if I wanted maximum, I'd seriously look at the bulb shape. I seen you recently picked up a Thather ST. I had one in a 26mm fan and set the loft at 46mm to get what I wanted out of it. I'll add the Do1 ST is at the minimum of what I find acceptable for backbone.
Edit: I don't want to be misleading, the ST has very good backbone but sometimes I wonder if I could have too much with a soft brush.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Oscar, your photo of the flat top has re-kindled my interest in having Bernd make me a flat top. What I was wondering is how the Shavemac silver tip and DO1 3-band compare with Shavemac finest in terms of backbone? I have a Shavemac Beehive in finest, which I really enjoy the feel of, being a face latherer exclusively, but if I'm to purchase a flat top I'd like to have it with a different grade of badger.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:Oscar, your photo of the flat top has re-kindled my interest in having Bernd make me a flat top. What I was wondering is how the Shavemac silver tip and DO1 3-band compare with Shavemac finest in terms of backbone? I have a Shavemac Beehive in finest, which I really enjoy the feel of, being a face latherer exclusively, but if I'm to purchase a flat top I'd like to have it with a different grade of badger.
Anyone able to help on the Shavemac badgers?
Bryan
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Rufus, I haven't owned a Shavemac ST yet. I've had the finest, DO1 3 band and the DO1 2 band. The finest would have the backbone for a flat top but might be lacking in density for that luxurious feel. I've used the DO1 3 band all week (fan) and really enjoy using it. I think it would work in a flat top as long as it's short lofted. I don't think I'd try one (flat top) in regular ST based on what I read about them. They're supposed to be very soft and might be best used with a bulb style knot. I'm very happy with both these brushes in their configurations but the rest would just be speculation on my part. I do think the DO 2 might be the ticket for a flat top knot, however.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Interesting -- I have never seen a flat-top badger. Seen lots of other flat-tops, though. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Took the plunge this evening and ordered myself a belated birthday present (my birthday is. 22 Nov.), a custom-made extreme flat top from Shavemac Expert. I chose their silver tip badger and kept the knot small at 19mm X 42mm because of the shape. For the handle I selected the 412 style and ivory imitation. I'll let you know what I think of the extreme flat top knot in due course.
Last edited by Rufus on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Happy belated birthday, Bryan. Enjoy the flat-top.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Happy belated birthday, Bryan. Enjoy the flat-top.
Thanks Wendell. I'm looking forward to trying the flat top. Most of my brushes are fan-shape, but I do have a couple of hybrids and bulbs, so the flat top will be a real change of pace.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

As I mentioned above I ordered my custom-made brush on Monday, 2 Dec., evening. Would you believe, it arrived bright and early this morning! It is now sitting in a bath of warm water in preparation for tomorrow's shave. I'll give you my thoughts on the brush once I've used it a few times. Hats off to Bernd Blos and the staff at Shavemac for such extraordinary service. =D>
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That is good service, particularly this time of year when mail service is stressed.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:As I mentioned above I ordered my custom-made brush on Monday, 2 Dec., evening. Would you believe, it arrived bright and early this morning! It is now sitting in a bath of warm water in preparation for tomorrow's shave. I'll give you my thoughts on the brush once I've used it a few times. Hats off to Bernd Blos and the staff at Shavemac for such extraordinary service. =D>
I've used my extreme flat-top from Shavemac 9 times and I'm quite undecided about it. It's not the quality of the handle or the silvertip, which is excellent, that I'm ambivalent about, it's the performance of the flat-top, especially when I lather. I face lather exclusively and when lathering with this brush I feel as though I'm fighting the shape of the knot. Given the cut of the knot it feels plenty big on my face notwithstanding that it's 19mm X 42mm, but I find it difficult to lather well with it and to make sufficient lather for 3 passes. It doesn't respond particularly well to lathering with a circular motion, my preferred method, as the outer edge of the top of the knot lacks flexibility; lathering with a to-and-fro motion is better, but not great, as the outer edge of the knot feels like a barrier. I don't think I've described my lathering difficulties very well, but I've never come across these difficulties before. Perhaps with some more practice I'll crack the flat-top lathering code and be ushered into the inner sanctum of flat-topdom. I shall persevere.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus, when I see a photo of a flattop brush I wonder what it might be like to use one. Thanks for this description. For me, I don't think I'd be able to get used to one like this. I think I understand that you know your way around such a brush, and you ordered it knowing it would take a bit of adaptation to get used to this one. I think you know what you're shooting for, and you'll know when you get there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can get along with any good brush, frankly I'm more concerned with the shape of the handle and how well it holds.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The flat-top is fitted with a 412 handle, which is both ergonomically sound and aesthetically pleasing. I used the brush this morning, but this time I loaded it with more cream than I normally use. I didn't have to work as hard as I had to before to lather and the quantity of the lather was sufficient for 3 passes and then some; perhaps this is the secret to the flat-top.
Bryan