Now that the temptation has passed . . .

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
EL Alamein

Now that the temptation has passed . . .

Post by EL Alamein »

As some of the more longstanding members here may know I've been using my T&H turnback for many years now (after having switched from my Kent BK12 of a few years). The turnback is still my first choice among the few brushes I own (and yes that includes the recently acquired Kent BK4 which I have used briefly and then went back to the turnback) because of it's long handle and travel capacity to provide consistent results even when on the road (I never have to switch brushes as the turnback is full sized).

Years ago, in a Buzz like move, I decided to get some backup turnbacks when T&H had some good sales that I could combine with a discount code because I believed this is the last brush type that I am going to use for the rest of my life. I got one about 7-8 years ago then another about year or two ago so I have a total of three. That last turnback was acquired after Vulfix purchased Simpsons and it lay in a drawer in it's box next to the original turnback I bought almost ten years ago (also in it's box though it has seen a lot of use in it's early days) until a few weeks ago when I finished my trial of the BK4. The second tunrback I acquired has seen the bulk of use for the past seven years and has developed some wear (crown is diminished from tips breaking off but is still excellent at whipping a dense lather and is very soft).

Well, I decided to give that third, most recently acquired turnback, a try just to feel the difference from the well used one. This turnback was acquired from the now defunct T&H North America site which has recently become "Silvertip Shaving" or some such. They are now sold out of this brush hence the title of this post.

The first thing I noticed was that this newer turnback had a different logo and the second more substantial thing I noticed upon my first use was that it was MUCH more densely filled than either of my two other turnbacks. I don't own any Simpsons brushes but I imagine that this is probably closer to what a Simpson brush is. It produced excellent lather and was very comfortable even for someone with sensitive skin like me. At first I was very tempted to get one last backup of this type when Silvertip was selling it's last T&H stock off at discounted prices but then I switched back to my well worn turnback of the last seven years and it really produces the same lather quicker even though it was less densely filled. So I figure I'm set for life and really don't need anymore.

Now I can't guarantee that what T&H or Vulfix is selling now in a turnback is as dense at what I got with that last brush but I figured I'd mention this for guys that like the denser brushes and wanted a like travel option. It *seems* like, at least for the turnback model, Vulfix has upped the quality and craftsmanship for T&H (these denser specs may just be for T&H but I don't know, so beware - and also beware I *may* have gotten an anomaly brush).

Perhaps if we get some more feedback from some Gents that also like turnbacks and maybe have some Simpsons brushes we can get an idea of the changes that may have taken place at Vulfix/Simpson.

Chris
CMur12

Re: Now that the temptation has passed . . .

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, I lather in a bowl and I find that less densely filled brushes lather much more efficiently than the denser ones.

A friend sent me an old Vulfix 375S that never worked for him as a face-latherer, and it has been just perfect for me. Even my beloved Semogue silvertips in standard density now seem too dense! The down side for many is that the Vulfix has no backbone, but that flex in the loft is an advantage for bowl-lathering.

Simpson brushes tend to be densely filled. Vulfix brushes - based on the one I have - would appear to be the opposite. I'm tempted to get another brush like my 6+ year-old Vulfix if they are still the same (and still distinctly fan-shaped).

- Murray
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Chris, I think it may be helpful to consider backbone in a somewhat scientific manner. Here is my thinking:

Density + Shaft/Tip Stiffness + Knot Shape/Profile = Backbone

Greater density will contribute to increased backbone. Greater shaft/tip stiffness will contribute to increased backbone. A more bulb shaped knot profile will contribute to increased backbone. Some users believe hair/knot depth (related to overall hair length) is a separate factor, however my model subsumes this under shaft stiffness. I don't think many wet shavers would appreciate a brush that is maxed out on all these factors. The factors need to reach a balance that produces a brush that falls on the user preference spectrum.

Let's consider two brushes, both Simfix: Chubby 1 Best and M7 2 Band. Here is how I would evaluate them:

CH1: HD (high density) + LS (low stiffness) + MK (medium hybrid knot) = MHB (medium-high backbone)
M7: LD (low density) + MS (medium stiffness) + HK (high bulb knot) = MB (medium backbone)

If Simpsons had swapped in Best hair for the 2 Band in the M7, the brush would have had low backbone and would have been very unsatisfying to use. By using 2 Band hair, the low density works well and helps generate the quick lather many of us experience with less-dense brushes. I think this type of thinking really helps clarify the whole backbone question.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well....yes....ummm....it does seem quite complex as well as very personal ( as to what one happens to like or value ). I have a few brushes that are kind of interesting regarding all these variables. Take my Rooney Finest, Style 1, Medium, and my Plisson #14 EW. Both are very high end/expensive specimens and both create superlative lather with the old school English creams but they do so via different routes. The Rooney is not a very dense brush; rather the reverse. It may not be much denser than a Vulfix Super. But, each individual hair shaft seems to be very thick and firm. So, the overall effect in use on the face is that it feels quite firm. But when you rinse it and shake it out it winds up almost completely dry....it's eerie almost how it does that. This Rooney is also decidedly fan shaped. The Plisson on the other hand is radically bulb shaped and seems very dense. But I don't think that the bristle shafts are as heavy duty. This brush also feels firm on the face but it takes quite awhile to dry out. Given a proper water to cream ratio, this Plisson makes the heaviest, richest lather of any brush I've ever used....but, there is less of it. The lather that the Rooney makes is not quite AS rich ( although still very good ) but there is plenty of it. FWIW, I too have found that less dense brushes, like the Vulfix Supers, using the English creams, whip up lather faster than very dense brushes and are easier to use in general. Some shavers just don't seem to like the feel of all that flex but the actual lather is always good, there's plenty of it, and one gets it faster.

Interesting question as to whether Vulfix, or the old Simpson company for that matter, makes, or made, their models a little differently for top shelf clients like T&H, Trumper, or F&M. We've often wondered about that over the years at SMF but really, we've never had a large enough sampling of the same models with different name brands on them to be able to get much of an accurate read on this subject.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, Murray, Rex, and Gordon, your knowledge and understanding of these mainstay brands of the shaving brush world are impressive. There's definitely a lot of experience and thought at play here. Reading these posts, so far, has given me a more detailed appreciation of the similarities and differences of these fine brushes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 to what Gordon says above.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, what Gordon said, think I'll read his post again.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

as an aside, chris should be inducted into the fidelity hall of fame :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum