Shaving brush for wifey

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Shave4Fun

Shaving brush for wifey

Post by Shave4Fun »

My wife loves a brush and soap for shaving her legs. She has been using a med. loft worn out boar and Palmolive soap, and is having trouble with good lather.
I need a recommendation for a medium priced brush (badger, I'd assume) that will work well with soap and cream.

The reason I ask is it takes more lather for legs than we used to shave our mugs! So loft and density are what I am asking about. I have a 20 mm base handle I can re-knot, so maybe something from TGN.

Thanks in advance!
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
EL Alamein

Re: Shaving brush for wifey

Post by EL Alamein »

My wife took my old Muehle faux horn pure badger brush (which is about 10-11 years old and almost never used) some years ago and a tub of (old packaging) Salter's Wild Rose and went to town. She's used it ever since. When she ran out of Salter's I gave her some Klar Kabinett rose soap and she's been going through that. She loves it and said she'll never go back.

Chris
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

What are the dimensions on that brush?
Thanks,
Roger

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Consider the C&E super badger. Big brsh, plenty loft and produces lather like there is no tomorrow.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

jww wrote:Consider the C&E super badger. Big brsh, plenty loft and produces lather like there is no tomorrow.
That brush is kind of expensive. You'd have to know my wife for me to say that. She's very frugal.
Roger

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Roger, check out the Vintage Blade brand brush, you can get a large brush for under $40.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=240

For the price, they are a decent brush. My wife assumed ownership of my PL8 in best... :(
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Whistler wrote:Roger, check out the Vintage Blade brand brush, you can get a large brush for under $40.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=240

For the price, they are a decent brush. My wife assumed ownership of my PL8 in best... :(
Marty,

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that site!
Roger

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Shave4Fun wrote:What are the dimensions on that brush?
Thanks,
It looks exactly like the brush sold by J Peterman here:

http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-1903-Coll ... ving-Brush

There is a photograph on that page as well as their "illustration" so you can get a good look at it. However, 10/11 years ago when I bought it I did not pay anything near that price. The website I bought mine from was the Knifecenter and they do not offer that brush anymore. They do offer something similar from the Col Conk (Vulfix) line:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CC1016 ... Soft-Brush

This is more like what I paid for my brush. I never liked it though so I never used it beyond the initial trial for a few days (sat in a drawer for years).

My wife got interested to use it on her legs some years ago and has never looked back.

Hope that helps.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marty, Your wife purloined your PL8 Best?!....good God! I mean, REALLY?....you couldn't piece her off with a nice Vulfix Super...or something? Or are you one of those gents who have 50+ high end brushes so, what the hell?
Regards,
Gordon
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

EL Alamein wrote:
Thanks,

There is a photograph on that page as well as their "illustration" so you can get a good look at it. However, 10/11 years ago when I bought it I did not pay anything near that price. The website I bought mine from was the Knifecenter and they do not offer that brush anymore. They do offer something similar from the Col Conk (Vulfix) line:

This is more like what I paid for my brush. I never liked it though so I never used it beyond the initial trial for a few days (sat in a drawer for years).

My wife got interested to use it on her legs some years ago and has never looked back.

Hope that helps.

Chris
I might just go with the Col. Conch, as the price range is where I am looking. Still thinking about a re-knot of a an old handle with a .23mm hole.

Thanks,
Roger

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shave4Fun wrote:
jww wrote:Consider the C&E super badger. Big brsh, plenty loft and produces lather like there is no tomorrow.
That brush is kind of expensive. You'd have to know my wife for me to say that. She's very frugal.
Ah -- no chance of waiting until their annual or semi-annual sale that gives 20% everything?
Wendell

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

jww wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:
Ah -- no chance of waiting until their annual or semi-annual sale that gives 20% everything?
Maybe. When do they offer that?
Roger

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Shave4Fun wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:
Thanks,

Hope that helps.

Chris
I might just go with the Col. Conch, as the price range is where I am looking. Still thinking about a re-knot of a an old handle with a .23mm hole.

Thanks,
Check out their $20,00 brush:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CC1000 ... ite-Handle

This was my very first badger brush at 18 years old and it would be great for leg lathering. I still have mine nearly 25 years later (though I never use it) and it's very durable. There's virtually no functional difference from the other Conk brush I linked to. It's worth mulling over on price alone.

I would have given mine to my wife but there's too much nostalgia wrapped up in it (think stay overs in girl's dorm rooms in college etc). It now sits on the top of the etageriere in the bathroom in it's original holder. I let my 1 year old son hold it and pretend lather with it when I'm shaving now. It awaits his coming of age to use as a true brush or be discarded for something better (like a Buzz version of the HMW Plisson Plexi) :)

Hope that helps.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

C&E sale happens in march and November if I recall correctly, but I cold be wrong.
Wendell

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

jww wrote:C&E sale happens in march and November if I recall correctly, but I cold be wrong.
Thanks!
Roger

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

After all the advice about badger brush sources, I wonder if she wouldn't prefer a huge fat boar like the Omega or Prorazo. Very long floppy bristles would caress her skin more than the badgers I have would.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Pete makes a good suggestion.

I have an Omega 10098. It is large and does really well at producing plenty of lather. It's hog rather than boar. The longer handle may even lend itself to leg prepping better than a standard handled brush.. It's much less expensive than a badger as well.

It will take awhile to break in though so counter that into your decision.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Statistically speaking, she will like the one that's already your favorite.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Get yourselves a matching pair of Plissons. Consider them an early Valentine's day gift investment that will last a lifetime!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, it's been a week, what does she say?
Regards,
Squire