Characteristics of best v Pure...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Martin

Characteristics of best v Pure...

Post by Martin »

Hello, does pure badger hair hold less water than best?. I only use soap and face lather.

Thank you, and Happy New Year.

Martin.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Characteristics of best v Pure...

Post by jww »

I would say that pure vs best is more about softness on the face rather than water retention, which, in my experience at least, might be more closely related to loft and knot density. I am by no means a badger expert, just my experience.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Martin the short answer is no. The longer answer is if there is a difference it's too subtle for me to notice.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Martin, It's not necessarily quite that simple. Each brush maker has his own naming system which pertains to that companies products only. There is no universally accepted grading system, and lots of badger bristle vary somewhat even if one is considering only one brand. With Vulfix and Simpson generally the 'Pure' grade was a bit coarser in texture, darker, and not quite so soft on the face as the Best grade. But within my limited experience, they seemed to hold just about as much water. Water holding capacity seems to be more tied to the brushes knot diameter and the density of the pack and not so much on the grade of the bristle.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote: . . . within my limited experience, they seemed to hold just about as much water. Water holding capacity seems to be more tied to the brushes knot diameter and the density of the pack and not so much on the grade of the bristle.
Regards, Gordon
I couldn't put it in words, and didn't offer a response. Now that Gordon, in his way, has stated it so well, I fully agree.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Now that Gordon, in his way, has stated it so well, I fully agree.
17 thumbs up on the sentiment'

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum