My Simpsns Super badger...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Martin

My Simpsns Super badger...

Post by Martin »

Hello, Been using my Tulip super badger brush for a while now, considering its Super hair, its not as soft as I expected. Anyone else feel same way about Simpsons Super brushes?.

Is there a better soft haired brush alternative under £100?. I face lather using soap.

Id say I have fairly sensitive skin, hence im thinking the softer the hair the better, but would a soft haired brush be able to load a soap well enough?.

Cheers.
LookingGlass

Re: My Simpsns Super badger...

Post by LookingGlass »

I wish I could help you out, but I cannot. In badger I see pure, best, finest, super, silver tip, and mixed. I have read that various vendor IDs may not be the same as another vendor ID. For example, what one vendor calls a finest may not be what another vendor calls finest. Perhaps folks with more knowledge than me can provide additional info. Is there an "industry standard" when identifying brush hair?

Take care,
Ed
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a Tulip 2 and Emperor 2 both in super. I have to say that I find both nicely soft and with the right amount of backbone and density. I face lather exclusively with creams mostly.
Bryan
Pc4406

Post by Pc4406 »

You might want to check out a Thater brush. I have a 2 band and it has really soft tips with good backbone and density. I'm not sure about their 3 band, but have read they are even softer. Price in the US is around $150.
Patrick
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

would a soft haired brush be able to load a soap well enough?.
Soft hair, or a flexible knot, in my mind anyway, is much better for lathering. the kent bk4 and vulfix 2234 are classics of the 'soft', lathering brushes <100

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While I like all my brushes, I do agree that there is something to be said about my Vullfix and C&E "flexible friends". No issues with soap loading or lather making with any of my brushes, to be fair, though.

The long-sought after BK4 is still the one brush I crave ... some day, some day (he keeps telling himself).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

fallingwickets wrote:
would a soft haired brush be able to load a soap well enough?.
Soft hair, or a flexible knot, in my mind anyway, is much better for lathering. the kent bk4 and vulfix 2234 are classics of the 'soft', lathering brushes <100

clive
What he said.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Martin

Post by Martin »

jww wrote:While I like all my brushes, I do agree that there is something to be said about my Vullfix and C&E "flexible friends". No issues with soap loading or lather making with any of my brushes, to be fair, though.

The long-sought after BK4 is still the one brush I crave ... some day, some day (he keeps telling himself).
For a silver-tip the BK4 is not that expensive, not compared to Vulfix's silver-tips for some reason.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ed, No.
Martin, Simpson Supers have traditionally been rather..a..'firm'. If you might like a more flexible, 'softer' style knot the Kent BK line can not be beat, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
Martin

Post by Martin »

bernards66 wrote:Ed, No.
Martin, Simpson Supers have traditionally been rather..a..'firm'. If you might like a more flexible, 'softer' style knot the Kent BK line can not be beat, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
And will it be able to load a soap well enough? Not too soft???
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pc4406 wrote:You might want to check out a Thater brush. I have a 2 band and it has really soft tips with good backbone and density. I'm not sure about their 3 band, but have read they are even softer. Price in the US is around $150.
Yes, by all means consider Thater.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Martin, My Kent BK4 is perhaps the best 'soap brush' that I have; and I own several nice Simpsons, two very high end Rooneys, two white cap Plissons, and a couple of others. The BK4 is what I always use to test a new soap, hard or semi-soft, that I'm not familiar with.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

bernards66 wrote: The BK4 is what I always use to test a new soap, hard or semi-soft, that I'm not familiar with.
Regards,
Gordon
Me too, with something new, grab the Kent.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I test them with the Thater.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444